1998 Ford Contour Reviews - Page 6 of 29

1998 Ford Contour SE 2.5L V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L V6 Automatic

Summary:

It runs well for a Ford

The power steering broke and for several months, the car would pull to the right when I would put on the brakes and this caused an accident.

The automatic transmission will not go into drive without some coaxing.

General Comments:

It is a comfortable and speedy little car that is fun to drive and is appealing to look at.

Review Date: 16th June, 2007

1998 Ford Contour Sedan 4dr Bi-Fuel 4 cylinder. 2.0 Liter from North America

Engine and transmission Bi-Fuel 4 cylinder. 2.0 Liter Automatic
Previous carChery Astro Van

Summary:

Gets from Point A to B

I got this car in '02 with only 26K from a government auction (Big Mistake). It was 3K under market value at the time and looked to be in good shape. It came with a bi-fuel engine which I though would be a good thing, only to find out later I could not use it.

Did Fix:

Month after having it, when I would put the tranny in reverse the car would die. No one could figure out what or why, but it fixed itself a month later.

Tranny 99K - 1600.

Alternator - 75K & 105K - 500 each time.

Did not Fix:

All 4 of my door locks do not work which lead to 2 break ins and 2 CD players stolen 6 months apart. (Not cars fault, but if the locks worked then this would have not happened) ~~$500.

The latch on my driver door does not work. Car door has to be tied shut or it swings open ~~$100.

My fuse box has shorts in it, so the blower fan does not work. ~~500.

Suspension needs replaced in the next 10K ~~1000.

Seat latches broke off on both sides ~~Never Priced.

Cosmetic damage to passenger rear door ~~ 1500.

General Comments:

Good car for reliability, but it falls apart quick so you have to keep up with what's wrong. My girl friend drives a '98 Mercury Mystique (same car, just fancier) and she's had a lot less problems than me. I am done buying Fords for other reasons, but this car got me from point A to B with little detours.

Review Date: 30th April, 2007

1998 Ford Contour LX 2.5L V6 Automatic from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L V6 Automatic Automatic
Previous carToyota Corolla

Summary:

Stay away

Transmission Breakdown after a week of purchase.

General Comments:

This car is a trap. Never buy Ford anymore. I believe it could by my biggest mistake to trust Ford. I feel obligated to tell everybody, just STAY AWAY. it's a real lemon. We should all stop dealing with Ford, then when they go bankrupt, they will understand how their cars are weird. Imagine you buy a car runs pretty decent and all of a sudden after passing all purchase tests, check engine light comes on, here we are, a TRANSMISSION PROBLEM. BANG, $2700.00 OUT FROM YOUR POCKET, I actually paid the car price twice within a month. I believe Ford will be paid back for what it did with all Ford customers, sure I will see their factories shut down. They definitely deserve it, no doubt.

Review Date: 27th February, 2007

1st Mar 2007, 16:05

You bought the car used, and put 145,000 km on it (in one year, according to you), but you're outraged at what a piece of junk it was... Not sure I quite understand that one. You don't mention any other problem besides the fact that you bought a used car that turned out to have a bad transmission.

16th Mar 2007, 13:49

Well, I don't agree with the first comment. When you test the car carefully and it passes all known tests and proofs that it's a good car. But all of a sudden, it turns out after a week to be a faulty transmission, this just a PURE TRAP FROM FORD. Even, all rebuilt transmissions by Ford have troubles, just ask whoevre got trapped by Ford. Shame on Ford, I am sure I will see their end, sure it's coming.

18th Apr 2007, 10:09

I love my ford contour, its great on gas, gets me where I need to go, nice little sports engine. plus I bang chicks in it all the time. I sleep in it when I'm drunk. I've never encountered a problem with it. I have owned one for 2 years now. My contour rules.