1998 Ford Contour Reviews

1998 Ford Contour SE 2.5L Duratec V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 2.5L Duratec V6 Automatic

Summary:

Wonderful experience, wish I still had it

Brakes.

EGR valve.

O2 sensor.

General Comments:

The 2.5L V6 Duratec was one of Ward's Top 10 engines in the 90s, and it's obvious why; the engine on this car purred like a kitten without any issues, other than routine maintenance.

Parts for this car were cheap and easy for even a novice DIYer.

What doomed this car was the transmission, which went on us rather suddenly. However we believe it had to do with a mechanic error mixing a transmission line with a power steering line (the transmission went the day after the mechanic had messed with it, with no prior symptoms).

This car handled like a dream; very sporty for a sedan.

This is the car I first learned to drive in, it was my mom's, we were so devastated we kept it around for about a year. We had a hurricane in that time and were without power for a week. The lighter port on our other (active) car was broken, we tried starting this car on the off-chance it would run, and after almost a year of sitting there and going through a hurricane, it started right up and was our lifeline for power for a week.

Review Date: 29th December, 2013

1998 Ford Contour SE 4 cylinder from North America

Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 4 cylinder Automatic

Summary:

It has served me well!!

General Comments:

I have been driving my Contour for over 13 years. I am surprised at all the negative comments here, so I figured I'd share a positive experience. I guess I've been one of the 'very lucky' owners of a Contour!

I've replaced the alternator a couple of times, the A/C clutch and compressor once, timing belt once.

Recently had to replace the motor mounts, O2 sensors, fuel filter on the frame, and will be replacing the transmission mount as soon as I can get it in the shop.

The motors in the front windows need to be replaced because neither of them work any longer, but all in all... I feel like this has been a great car!! Considering I've been driving it for 13 years all around FL with several trips from FL to NC thrown in there... I love this car!!

Review Date: 5th June, 2013

5th Jun 2013, 11:56

I am very happy that you had a great experience with your car, but in all fairness, you only have 107k miles on it in 13 years of ownership. Nowadays, the real test of the car's worth only begins after 100k miles. With that said, I do hope that the car will continue to serve you well.

6th Jun 2013, 13:58

The Contour was a great car. Not as good as the Fusion, but very reliable and comfortable. I know several people who still drive Contours they bought in the 90's, and they love them.

1998 Ford Contour SVT 2.5 gasoline from North America

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 2.5 gasoline Manual
Previous carFord Contour

Summary:

Not the fastest, but handles like a true performance car

Passenger side window motor replaced at 70,000 miles.

Power steering rack replaced at 80,000 miles.

General Comments:

I love the Contour SVT - small, easy to drive, nimble, quick (but not a quarter-mile terror).

Great seats, light clutch. Good field of vision all around.

Engine sound above 3500 RPM is incredible.

Drinks premium fuel only, though. Seats 4 adults; however, the back seat area can be cramped.

SVT specific parts are starting to become harder to find from the dealer.

Review Date: 14th June, 2012

1998 Ford Contour SE 2.0 4 cylinder from North America

First year of ownership1999
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 2.0 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carSaturn SL2

Summary:

Probably the highest mileage one around

Regular stuff.

I changed the timing belt a few times.

Just replaced the serpentine belt.

Replaced the AC accumulator and recharged the AC system.

ALWAYS used Mobil 1 oil.

The car has been a clock, just won't stop.

General Comments:

Love the car. Has been very reliable on a lot of road trips, and just around the local area. As stated earlier, AC is and has always been ice cold. Can't believe it's still running at 260K.

Review Date: 16th October, 2011

1998 Ford Contour from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011

Summary:

Not a good car

Check engine light constantly on and off. Had a car repair person hook it up to their computer, and nothing is wrong.

Air conditioner bogging down the car when idling; have to wait til I'm up to speed on highway or interstate before I can even think of turning on the air conditioner.

Just broke down completely at 165,000 miles. Started making a sound like a diesel idling, then died; the mechanic thinks the low end on the engine is going out.

General Comments:

Not a good car if you need a car seat for young children. We could only fit the rear facing car seat in one location in the car, behind the passenger, because my husband needed the seat all the way back on the driver's side. Now we have a forward facing seat, and my 2 year old has barely any foot room.

Back seat can only fit small people, who have short legs.

The trunk is not very big.

Review Date: 17th July, 2011

19th Jul 2011, 04:26

So you drove this car from 80 000 miles to 165 000 miles without repairs and maintenance? To me that's a great car!

Within these distances, the car should have had a new timing belt if it is a 4 cylinder engine, at least 1 set of new spark plugs and wires, and 2 transmission services. With the maintenance you indicated, it is a wonder the car lasted that long, and that would be true for any car.