1987 Ford Crown Victoria LX 5.0 from North America

Best car I ever owned

Just died while driving, no warning. $1,650 and 4 months later the Ford dealer had added all new electrical components, but gave up and said the car is old and is just dying. Brought it home, replaced the distributor, and it's doing great

General Comments:

It is roomy for 6+ foot man, and it holds all the wife's shopping stuff. Very comfortable on trips of 4-500 miles per day. I refuse to give up on it, love it.

Review Date: 22nd January, 2016

23rd Jan 2016, 22:35

The lesson of your story is this - never take an old car to the dealer. They don't know how to fix the good old analog technology, only the awful new computerized stuff.

24th Jan 2016, 04:40

The Ford dealer in my area wouldn't touch a car that old. I'm glad that you're trying to keep your car alive.

24th Jan 2016, 16:07

Your local technician will know everything about this car and will fix it right every time. Avoid the dealer.

1987 Ford Crown Victoria LX 5.0 from North America

Ford's finest!

Transmission failed at 30,000 miles due to dry seals from sitting for 13 years. Otherwise no repairs at all.

General Comments:

I love this car, fast fun and it tows. I lowered it 2 inches and put twenty inch dayton wire wheels on it last year. Big pimpin'

Review Date: 26th June, 2005

27th Jun 2005, 17:42

It is a shame that all of these old American sedans are being ruined by people. It is totally laughable to see these late 80s full size sedans with $100 paint jobs, $2000 worth of 26 inch rims and lousy stereos that rattle the trunk of the car. All placed on a car they paid $500 for.

1987 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 351windsor 5.8 liters from North America

My Super Machine that has plenty of power

Blew an intake gasket at 262,000 mile, not a big deal only cost $15.oo to fix.

Blew a valve cover gasket after replacing it while tuning up. (Operator Error)

General Comments:

Car runs good.

My father owned an '86 so I bought the '87. He went out and bought a '94, now I'm looking at a '96.

My dad had and '86

My twin brother and I had '87s

It's a family thing I guess.

Very comfortable car, Built very reliable. Strong car that never dies.

Review Date: 11th December, 2004

1987 Ford Crown Victoria 5.0 from North America

Eight cylinders, four doors, and two and a half tons of rear wheel drive American power

When I got the car, it had a leaking water pump, but it only cost about 60 dollars to replace.

Other than that, every maintenence item and all the fluids have been replaced or changed, and nothing more.

General Comments:

The car has a lot of power for being all stock and weighing 5375 lbs.

It has a little bit of body roll and understeer, but nothing too bad.

Looks factory new still, after I detailed it out.

Gets decent gas mileage, for it's size and engine.

Review Date: 5th December, 2004

21st Aug 2011, 17:52

5375 pounds? Maybe fully loaded with 4 passengers.. Crown Vics of this era only weigh 3800-4200 pounds max.

I had a base model with rust weight reductions that only weighed 300 pounds more than a fox body Mustang.

22nd Aug 2011, 17:04

Just think about how fast it would have been if you had let it keep rusting until it weighed about the same as a Pinto.

4th Sep 2011, 01:27

I thought about it, since the fully boxed frame didn't have a speck of rust on it.

26th Jan 2016, 14:58

The sticker on the doorjamb is not what your car weighs; it's the most it is allowed to weigh with passengers and cargo.

My 1994 Q45 also has a GVWR of around 5400lb (it weighs about 4200).

Now a Town Car might have a curb weight of close to 5k LOL.

1987 Ford Crown Victoria ltd 5.0 from North America

I think these cars are great cars, but have this kind of problem quite often

The front doors do not lock.

The Glove box latch broke.

Replaced power steering hose.

Sometimes the car dies suddenly and then is unpredictable when it will start again.

General Comments:

I bought the car from my grandmother. She loved her Crown Victoria and kept very good care of this car.

I had the car for one week and started to experience trouble. The car would drive down the road and the motor would quit running. Then the car would not restart. It was very unpredictable.

I took the car to a mechanic. The mechanic replaced the fuel pump. That did not help. Then the mechanic replaced the electronic ignition module. This did not fix the problem either. So I asked the mechanic for my my money back and was fortunate to get a refund for his work The car still has this problem. I have been told it may be the catalytic converter.

Review Date: 2nd December, 2004

31st Dec 2004, 15:05

Hello, I have the same model and year and I'm experiencing the exact same problem. My mechanic replaced the distributor and some computer modules, neither of which fixed the problem. This car is really making my life difficult. I was hoping to find emails with the comments, because I wanted to know of the original poster of this ever got the problem fixed. If anyone can help me/us with this car please email me spookyboy45@hotmail.com

Thank you!