1987 Ford Crown Victoria Reviews - Page 3 of 3

1987 Ford Crown Victoria LTD 5.0 liter V-8 with SEFI from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0 liter V-8 with SEFI Automatic

Summary:

Grandma comfort with teenager performance!

Transmission needed to be replaced.

The heater core leaked and I had it disconnected to avoid an expensive repair. It cost me $50 to have it disconnected and now I have no heater, which is no problem out here in California.

Failed smog check due to misaligned ignition timing. $60 to readjust + another smog check.

Radio was replaced, but whether or not the old one was broken is unknown.

General Comments:

The car has incredible power! I love the look on other drivers faces after I smoke 'em out of a dead stop!

I got the car for free from my grandmother. After the tranny died, she was going to donate it to charity, but I convinced her to give it to me. I put in a rebuilt tranny for about $1500. No problems after that so far other than the smog check.

I seem to be refueling often, but it might have something to do with my lead foot!

Review Date: 27th March, 2001

19th Apr 2001, 22:22

If you really want to smoke people put in a windsor 351 like I did with my 84 vic.

7th Jul 2001, 00:49

To really really smoke them, you need the 351 Windsor like the one in my 90 cop car, with and I mean with, dual Flowmasters and a straight pipe - it's an automatic 20 horses, believe it or not!

A K&N filter wouldn't hurt either! Good luck - Crown Vics rule!

PS They have a computer chip that can increase the performance of your vehicle with the 5.0 engine - check out superchips.com.

9th Apr 2004, 21:50

I can't believe someone charged you $50 to bi-pass the heater... All that has to be done is to remove the heater hoses from the firewall, and just use one of the existing hoses to route the coolant back into the block... Someone made a quick $50.

6th Aug 2004, 18:32

I've got a 351W in a 1977 Ford LTD II... and it hauls serious behind. It won't spin the tires... it just hooks and goes.

26th Sep 2005, 16:30

I've got a Crown Vic 87 and my muffler is like hanging by a thread, making a really throaty sound. Anyone ever have this problem and how much to fix, also I sometimes hear a weird buzzing or humming sound from the back of the car, any clue what that could be?

Gotta Love the LTD.

1987 Ford Crown Victoria LTD LX 5.0 (302 cid) EFI from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0 (302 cid) EFI Automatic
Most recent distance219349 miles

Summary:

This car is a real sleeper, a stop light terror!

Charging system problems, battery, rear drum brake failure, several electrical features have quit working.

General Comments:

Other than aforesaid problems, just maintenance work and customization have been done.

Goes like a wet cat and when driven right handles like a slot car.

Excellent handling on snow covered or slippery roads.

Review Date: 20th March, 2001

1987 Ford Crown Victoria LTD 5.0L {302 CID} from North America

Engine and transmission 5.0L {302 CID} Automatic
Previous carVolkwagen Jetta GL Diesel

Summary:

A good, tough, reliable car with lots of power

Upper ball joint failed.

Blower motor eesistor burnt out.

Other than that, only basic maintenance was required.

General Comments:

I love it. It's not quite as comfortable as a 1984 Chrysler Fifth Avenue I had so far as ride quality. However it rides good for a big car, has plenty of power, reasonable fuel mileage, and it's about as reliable as you can get in a car, short of a diesel.

I hope they continue to build these cars in future. 4. 6L or 5.0L doesn't matter, both are tough, reliable, smooth, & powerful.

Review Date: 24th January, 2001

27th May 2002, 12:04

I bought a 1987 Ford Crown Vic police car after the local department dumped it at 124,000 miles. This car has a 5-liter engine (low-output: must've belonged to the Chief, who didn't have to get anywhere in a hurry) and a 4-speed auto transmission. It also has an oil cooler and a transmission cooler, which I suspect is the same as a towing package.

This car now has 224,000 miles on it and is going strong. I rebuilt the transmission at 200,000 miles. The engine is original and is still plenty fast.

10th Nov 2010, 20:28

"I may have to sell the 5 Fords (all 70 or 71's with no problems) I have at the house and go foreign."

If those classic Fords aren't giving you trouble, why sell them??