1989 Ford Crown Victoria LTD 5.0 EFI V8 from North America

Summary:

Great American car, V8 power, safe, great road trip car

The tranny didn't shift into over drive well, so my dad and I changed the fluid and filter. That was a bad idea!!! The darn thing wouldn't shift past second gear after that (it was a 4spd with over drive).

When jacking it up to take the tranny out for a service, the frame broke. This is due to not being under coated when it was new; a car just doesn't last 14 years in New York without being under coated.

General Comments:

I got this car for free. She had about 90K miles on it when I got her.

The 5.0L engine ran great, the ride was super, and when I waxed the paint, she really looked great. It was metallic silver.

The person that owned the Crown Victoria before me said that she never had much trouble with it, but sadly by the time I got the car, it had been exposed to 14 or 15 salty central NY winters. The body didn't rust much at all, but the frame was like aluminum foil in spots, and in other spots, the frame just wasn't there (not kidding).

If you can find one of these 80's or early 90's cars, that has a southern history, then get it. But you have to expect one main thing to be replaced in the car at or before 100k. And that is the electronically controlled 4 speed tranny. If the stock tranny doesn't hold up, then I would recommend using a Mustang tranny for a replacement.

I also had a 89 Grand Marque (same thing as a Crown Vic), but the guy that sold it to me was very dishonest!! The tranny stopped shifting past 2nd gear on my way home with it.

I drove the car for about 1 month, had tranny trouble, the frame broke, and had to sell the engine to a kid for his Ford Mustang.

Review Date: 9th November, 2004

17th Mar 2005, 20:25

I said that a mustang trans would be a good replacement for the 4spd. what I meant is the 5spd stick shift trans from the mustang, I know of 1 older Vic with a mustang stick shift trans in it.

7th Sep 2005, 09:10

I just inherited my grandma's '89 LTD Crown Victoria LX. It literally was driven by a little old lady, it was kept in the garage and the oil was changed every 3 months even though she only put 5k miles on it per year, the tires were rotated annually and it had a tune up annually. She looks and drives and rides like new! The only thing is that she is on her 3rd tranny. If this one goes I will look into replacing it with the mustang one.

The only physical problem is that the last 6 months she sat in my dad's side yard in Florida. 6 months of Florida sun, sand, and salt faded her horribly (maroon faded to a dull red). But thanks to Maguire's car products it brought the vinyl top and the paint and the dash back to her showroom shine!!!

1989 Ford Crown Victoria Country Squire 5.0 from North America

Summary:

Lots of room, good gas mileage, and reliable

The fuel pump relay failed, so the fuel pump would continue to run after the car was shut off. A new relay was inexpensive and easy to replace in a spot next to the car battery.

I replaced the valve cover gaskets in an attempt to fix a chronic oil leak. The valve cover gaskets needed replacing, but were not the main source of the leak. It took a lot of time to replace the valve cover gaskets, because the upper intake manifold had to be removed first. Not a difficult job, but just a lot of time.

The oil pan gasket was the main source of the oil leak. The oil pan on this version of the Ford 5.0 is u-shaped and impossible to completely remove from the car without partially pulling the engine. Luckily, I was able to replace the oil pan gasket by removing all the oil pan bolts, lowering the oil pan the maximum 1.5 inches or so, pulling out the old gasket and sliding in a new gasket. The new gaskets I used for both the valve covers and oil pan were by Fel-Pro. I believe they were called Perma-Dry and I found them at www.rockauto.com. I highly recommend these particular gaskets, because they have a rigid metal core covered with some rubbery substance. I could never have successfully installed a flimsy cork gasket in the limited space I had with the oil pan.

General Comments:

I bought this inexpensive station wagon, thinking I would use it to haul the occasional load of lumber or visiting group of relatives (it holds eight).

It is so comfortable, roomy, and pleasant to drive, that I have ended up driving it more than my other two cars. It even gets over 20 MPG on the highway loaded up with people and gear.

The interior, upholstered in a red velour type fabric, has held up extremely well, and no one believes the car has over 200K miles on it.

I wish Ford was still making a Crown Victoria station wagon!

Review Date: 7th November, 2004

7th May 2005, 11:29

I have also owned this wagon which I bought used in 1992 at 52,000 miles. It now has over 210,000 miles and I keep it as a second vehicle for emergencies and hauling. I wish Ford still made this car, the ride is the smoothest of any car I've ever driven.

6th Nov 2005, 18:24

I am the sole owner of my 1989 Crown Wagon, the only car

I ever wanted. Opinion is still the same 16 years later with

189,000 miles. I too wish Ford Motor Co. would make the

Crown Victoria wagon again. Love, love, love this car!

2nd Oct 2008, 16:17

Just bought a 1989 crown vic for my son. I bought it from the original owner. It currently has 89.000 miles on it. I enjoy it so much that my new Ram is sitting in the garage and I drive the C/V every day.

26th May 2011, 22:03

I love my Crown Vic Country Squire too! The huge 351 V-8 provides plenty of power, great for merging on freeways.

Floats like a yacht at sea over any bumps, smooth as can be.

Rear wheel drive makes this car a real pleasure to drive.

All my friends love the large, spacious interior and abundant cargo space, making my car very popular for road trips and camping trips! Wish Ford still made cars like this, I am keeping mine until it dies, and it probably never will, has over 432000 and it still runs like new!