1989 Ford Crown Victoria Reviews

First year of ownership2010
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 302 5.0 liter EFI Automatic
Previous carPontiac Grand Prix

Summary:

Quality, luxury, reliability

Factory stereo died, probably due to lack of use by the previous owner. Maybe it was just a fuse, but I replaced it with an aftermarket Sony USB head unit and aftermarket speakers.

Tailpipe rusted out, replaced it.

Apart from that just maintenance like oil changes, tires, etc.

General Comments:

I bought this car from the original owners, a retired couple that were too old to drive it anymore. This car was absolutely mint, white on blue interior, and I loved it right away.

It was well maintained, garage stored, and had less than 110k on it. I only paid $2000 for it, and I've put about 60000 problem free kilometers on it since then.

The car still looks and works like new. It is super smooth, quiet inside, powerful and extremely reliable. Starts every time, and never leaves you stranded.

Brakes are excellent. All power options and lights still work. Steering and alignment are still perfect. Transmission shifts smoother than any other car I've owned. The car has also never failed emissions testing ever. No rust, paint is like new, all chrome is intact and shines like new.

No complaints at all about this car. It is everything I want in a car. No issues, not even small things, to mention.

Gas mileage is great on the highway, but so so in the city. However the money you save on repairs and maintenance, more than makes up for it, and this car will save you money in the long run.

Rear wheel drive makes for impressive handling at high speeds and on curvy roads. A real treat to drive, rear wheel drive makes for a much more enjoyable driving experience in my opinion.

5.0 liter EFI engine provides more than adequate power for day to day driving. Not a race car, but has tons of power at highway speeds, and accelerates very quickly at highway speeds.

Super comfortable interior, and I like the dual front power seats. Interior is still mint and looks like new. Very comfortable for long highway trips.

I would recommend this car to anyone who wants a reliable, problem free, super tough car, and appreciates quality, luxury and comfort. They sure don't make cars like this any more, and probably never will.

Buy one if you can.

Review Date: 12th April, 2012

12th Apr 2012, 12:57

Glad to know I'm not the only one suffering from this (must be nostalgic disorder) ha ha. What is it about the late seventies, eighties and early nineties versions of what was on offer rear drive wise for the ordinary working man from the big 3 domestics. I am on the lookout for a good solid Crown Victoria / Mercury / GM / Caprice / Olds 88 and 98 / Fifth Avenue / Diplomat/ Gran Fury. They to me had the styling that was defined as a no nonsense, non posing. Keep it simple, just go about your own business kind of character. OK, maybe I am mad, but sadly I believe that when the quad light styling of the above finished, so did the true American identity of automobile design.

1989 Ford Crown Victoria LTD 5.0L 302 from North America

Model year1989
Year of manufacture1989
First year of ownership2009
Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission 5.0L 302 Automatic
Most recent distance62000 miles
Previous carChevrolete Blazer

Summary:

Great car. If they still made the '89, I would definitely buy it again

Well the first thing that has gone wrong is that my thermostat broke. I also have had to get a new alternator (bad alternators are common in this car). The inside interior and the outside are in pristine condition. Could not be better. She also shines up like a beaut.

Car cost, depending on where you go, is fairly cheap. If you know anything about this car, you can do most repairs yourself. I've flushed the radiator and changed out the thermostat myself. The thermostat is extremely hard to change in this car though, because of where the bottom bolt on the housing is located.

General Comments:

This car can be a good first car for most people if you get it in good running condition. For me, it wasn't too reliable to start out with, but I got it fixed up and she won't stop running.

The interior has a few small stains, but still looks very very nice.

If you get the car in good outside condition, then she will always shine up and look amazing. Once a month I wash and wax Frankenford (that's her name).

The engine needs to be scrubbed and cleaned badly, but it's not nearly as hard as some cars are.

Review Date: 25th May, 2011

27th May 2011, 07:55

"if they still made the '89" -- you bought yours when it was 20 years old. What difference would it make whether they still made it?

6th Dec 2011, 19:47

The styling. They changed the exterior styling in 1991.