1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L from North America

A great way to get around.

Nothing major, the only repairs made were due to being hit by a deer last fall and a small tornado this past spring.

The fuel pump was replaced when I purchased the car from the state Highway Patrol. The service records that came with the car do show the turn signal lever replaced around 69K, again before I owned the car.

Otherwise other than tires, brakes and one battery (factory battery lasted seven years!) nothing has been repaired on this car.

I guess the only trouble spot so far has been the wheel covers, it has lost two in the thirteen months I've owned it. It drives a fair amount of gravel roads, so that may be part of the problem.

General Comments:

Very roomy, good on long trips. Fuel economy is decent for a V8 (low 20s). Will cruise 85+ mph all day with no problem. Interior none too fancy, although that is to be expected with a fleet car. Interior very durable though, still looks like new after use by cops and twenty-somethings. Trunk is huge, even with full-sized spare. Excellent value.

Review Date: 16th October, 2006

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6L SOHC from North America

A solid performer

O-ring around fuel sending unit, idler/tensioner pulley.

General Comments:

This car is one of the funnest cars to drive that I have owned.

Handles and performs as well as any previous muscle cars I have had and does it with subtlety.

Extremely reliable (as much so as any Toyota or Nissan I have owned).

Decent mileage for a V8 full size car. (19mpg city/23mpg highway)

Comfortable on long trips.

Ice cold A/C, Blaring heat.

Stock speakers are great (must be JBLs that go in the LX with premium sound)

Review Date: 1st March, 2005

9th May 2006, 20:27

They're stock Ford speakers. I've installed and uninstalled at least seven PVI crown vic stereo systems on the new models. The 180-210 amp alternators are great for running larger aftermarket amplifiers.

30th Aug 2007, 15:31

I still have this same car 3 years later. It now has 160K and I have to say that aside from the previously mentioned items in my original post, the only major repair I have had to make was the tie-rod ends and the upper ball joints. Other than that, just normal wear and tear items which include 2 sets of tires (just bought my second set). Replacement brake pads (20K miles ago), an alternator, and a tranny fluid change and filter using Merkon V fluid. I think this is great for 70K miles of my own. The car does have a small leak in the oil pan gasket, but generally does not require more than 1 quart every 1000 miles.

Sorry about the assumption with the speakers, but I have to say for stock speakers, they sound pretty good. Also a great car to take my 2 labs in as it was a K-9 car.

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.6 V8 from North America

Comfortable Workhorse

At 78,500 miles the intake manifold cracked behind thermostat housing and the coolant shorted out one of the coils.

Today the transmission went out at 81,000 miles.

General Comments:

I bought the Car at an auction for $3000.00. It is clean and up until the last few months has performed flawlessly.

The manifold and coil repair would have run somewhere between $550-800, but the taxi and police units are covered under a "campaign" through Ford dealerships. The transmission on the other hand is going to cost me close to $1000.00.

I certainly enjoy the car and hope mechanical problems do not travel in threes.

Review Date: 23rd October, 2003

1998 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor 4.7 Liter V8 from North America

Talk about flying pigs

The only thing that has gone wrong with the car is the transmission, this just now went bad. Other than that its perfect.

General Comments:

This is my second police interceptor owned within 2 years. The first one was a 1993 and had no problems it had 114,000 miles on the odometer, but it was stuck there so it could've had 250,000 miles and ran solid. I wanted the new body style so I traded it in and got an 1998 Police Interceptor and love every second driving it.

Review Date: 13th October, 2003

10th Oct 2004, 11:40

The engine, unless specially ordered or bored out more, is a 4.6L 281. not 4.7L. 4.7 Liter is a Toyota engine.