2001 Ford Escape 2.0 four cylinder from North America

Summary:

Try to find this model with the 2.0L engine and 5-speed

Since I bought this recently, it's irrelevant.

General Comments:

I was surprised to find how much I liked this old car, which was purchased just to resell for a quick profit. I avoid U.S. brands because of a poor history of reliability. Now here was an old rusty warhorse with a quarter of a million miles on it, and I didn't expect much for the $1500 asking price.

But it drove like a dream and shifted like it was new. The car handled better than my beloved Honda CRV, and got shockingly better gas mileage. This car has the tiny 2.0 litre 4 cylinder Zetec engine (same as Ford Focus) and 5-speed manual transmission, which is actually Mazda running gear. You can choose with a dash switch AWD or 4WD, very handy. The body seems rigid and tight despite the rust, and the brakes are very capable. It rides comfortably over pavement, gravel or rough terrain without losing feel. It turns very tightly. The interior has great handle placement for passengers to hang on when the going gets rough, which adds to its character too. The seats, which have seen a tremendous amount of duty, were not ripped or pushed out of shape. Good dual horn, nice opening rear hatch window, nice fold down flat back seat, good visibility, A/C is cold, heater is terrific, and even the fog lights still work.

Although the tires were not aired up properly, I still got 26.5 MPG in most city driving, which suggests that highway mileage may be as high as 30 MPG. I am going to switch it to synthetic oil and put low roll resistance tires on it.

So... I am actually keeping this car, knowing that it has every right to croak at any second. It feels like it's got at least two more years in it. The engine is not using oil, or leaking it.

What I don't know is what kind of care came before me. The struts are original looking, so the front end hasn't been redone. But I just have to marvel at how well this car works for its age and miles. I may replace it with a newer Escape later; I hear the 2.4L four is almost as miserly as the one I have now.

Review Date: 21st September, 2014

28th Sep 2014, 03:39

The 2.0 4-cylinder/5-speed team is a solid choice for an AWD Escape. You avoid the power losses of the automatic, as well as the reliability issues with it.

Please keep us posted - and enjoy !!!

2001 Ford Escape from North America

Summary:

We LOVE our car!

In our six years of owning our Escape, we have only had to replace the timing belt, the power steering sensor, alternator and basic battery.

We have 160,000+, and take our car to a personal mechanic rather than the dealer.

We did not have a warranty when we purchased this used from a dealer.

We do have a broken passenger door handle (it broke when tried to open it when it was iced shut), the driver's window needs a new switch to roll down the window, and yes, we now are having some troubles with the back door latch. The gas mileage is above fair, and the power is enough, but we would always love more.

General Comments:

We are pleased with the car. Albeit there are some quirks, but then show me a car where there is not.

It is dependable, comfortable, and fits great with our family's lifestyle. We would purchase another one of these, only this time maybe not a manual.

Review Date: 1st January, 2011

2001 Ford Escape XLS 2.0 from North America

Summary:

Love it!

Clutch - replaced cylinder - 45,000.

Wiper motor - 60,000.

General Comments:

I have enjoyed this SUV for several years now. Great 4x4, good MPG, and comfy ride. I have put around 130k miles on it, and it keeps going. I am looking forward to trading in for a new model soon.

Review Date: 1st December, 2010