2005 Ford Escape XL 2.3 from North America

Summary:

I watched my daughter learn to drive in my little Ford Escape! Need I say more!

As the Escape became older - I noticed the gas pedal would stick. Turns out it just needed a little spray of WD40 - good to go.

It came with a 6 CD system - that recently stopped working. But the radio part works.

The Escape has 191,000 miles and my transmission is slipping. I'm so sad because I seriously love this thing.

When it was about 4 years old, I noticed the headlamps have cracks in them - small cracks.

The interior - if I spill anything or it gets rained on - the seats leave water stains - impossible to get out for some reason.

General Comments:

My Escape has been the best vehicle I have ever had. I thought my Jetta was great - my Escape is my most favorite - I love it! It's fun to drive - yes the transmission has a slight slip in it now - but after 191,300 miles - I can't believe that's all that's she's having issues with. I just change the oil - keep good brakes and tires, and it's good to go.

With high mileage on it - I do not take her on trips. I drive 60 miles a day - 5 days a week to work - and that's about all I drive it.

I'm not ready to give it up. It actually makes me sad to think one day - it's going to break down and I won't have the money to fix it and I won't be able to drive it. Yeah I did name it... "my girl"!

Ford Escape true owner!

Norrie!

Review Date: 7th December, 2014

2005 Ford Escape XLT 3.0 from North America

Summary:

Very reliable and dependable!

A wheel bearing had to be replaced.

General Comments:

This is a great car!! I am very pleased with it so far! Quick pick up. Roomy for a small SUV.

Review Date: 4th November, 2011

2005 Ford Escape XLT 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Reliable transportation

Valve cover gasket.

General Comments:

I bought this vehicle used with high kilometres for use as a second vehicle/beater. After doing some needed repairs like suspension and front end, I started using it for a daily driver. I find it very reliable and good on fuel to boot (about 35 mpg imperial).

For a vehicle with this many km's, it rides and handles great. The 2.3 litre 4 cylinder is a little lacking in power, but is acceptable when paired with the 5 speed manual trans.

Seating is comfortable, cargo space is great, especially with the fold flat rear seats. The ride is a bit truck like, but I prefer that anyway.

All in all, it is a reliable and convenient vehicle.

Review Date: 22nd June, 2011

2005 Ford Escape 6 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Extremely satisfied with this vehicle

Alarm sensitivity issues, no big deal.

Fuel filler tube kept choking up, replaced under warranty.

First set of brakes wore in only 15,000.

A radiator hose blew at 20,000. No big deal.

General Comments:

This vehicle has been very dependable and a nice ride.

I measure MPG every tankful, over 5 years averages 17.5 MPG.

Virtually problem free vehicle.

Good pep, plenty of room.

Review Date: 15th March, 2011

30th Jun 2013, 17:02

6/28/13 - Back again to comment about my 2005 Ford Escape. We are now at 54,000. I continue to maintain this car meticulously. Nothing has gone wrong since the items mentioned in my last report. I did put 4 new tires on it. Coming up on its 55,000 mile service and keeping up with meticulous records. No issues to speak of. So far, this car has been an excellent purchase.

2005 Ford Escape Hybrid 4 cylinder hybrid from North America

Summary:

Incredible value and reliable

Battery (for engine starter) failed after 95,000 miles.

Tail light burned out.

General Comments:

I am the original owner of a 2005 Ford Escape Hybrid, and can honestly say this is the best vehicle I have ever owned. After 98,000 miles, I have had only two component failures: A burned out tail light, and a bad starting battery. I expected the battery to give out after 5 years or so, so that was no surprise.

A word of warning to the rest of you though... You may not know this, but there is a separate cooling system in the cargo area at the rear of the vehicle, which contains an air filter. This air filter must be changed before it plugs up or you will burn up your battery and/or regulator. My understanding is that the regulator repair is over $1,000, and if you toast your battery, you might as well buy a Prius, because at last check, it was over $10,000. If you own a Hybrid, you need to check this filter now! It is located on the left side of the rear cargo area inside a small panel. Open this up, take out the filter cover, and pull out the filter. If you haven't done this yet, it's probably filthy like mine was. I heard about this from a guy who had an identical model that wasn't so fortunate to have been told about this filter. He smoked his regulator. Good luck!

Review Date: 2nd October, 2010