1997 Ford Explorer Reviews - Page 2 of 7

1997 Ford Explorer limited 5.0 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

Awesome

Drivers seat is worn to drivers door, which is normal wear, not really a complaint though.

General Comments:

I personally was always a chevy person, but since owning my explorer, Ill never go back. Its all about the maintenance.

Review Date: 19th December, 2007

1997 Ford Explorer Limited 4.0 SOHC from North America

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1996
Engine and transmission 4.0 SOHC Automatic
Previous carHonda Civic

Summary:

Good SUV for the cash

ABS is kind of funny; it acts up going very slowly over small bumps. Not a big deal, but I will get it fixed.

The motor has a light ticking sound to it under load... Research leads me to believe that sticky/wearing lifters are making the noise. I seafoamed the motor; it's much less noisy... I think it's just carbon build-up, but who knows.

A/C isn't working... As far as I understand, this has something to do with a blend door rather than the A/C system. Not sure yet.

The previous owner had some work done to the front end, has been great for me.

General Comments:

Well I didn't have very much money, but needed a vehicle suitable for Canadian industry so I bought one at $8K. I think that's a decent price for an SUV in good condition in 2007... It's not a brand new Escalade or anything, but it's still a nice truck.

The leather interior is very comfortable and has every option you could ask for. Everything in the interior still works perfectly fine. Very spacious...

Performance wise, well it does pretty well too. The 4.0 has enough power to do whatever you need to do, and is a pretty smooth engine. Some have described tranny problems; I dunno, mine is still flawless knock on wood.

The brakes are decent, and the truck is generally rather quiet. The 4WD system is pretty sweet, I've never had another 4x4 but this thing is hard to get stuck. I was off road recently and thought for sure I was in trouble at the bottom of this ridiculous hill, but got up without breaking a sweat. Looking forward to a Northern Alberta winter...

Other users have reported a rough ride, and being able to feel small bumps in the road. This is somewhat true, over some roads I do notice the bumps and sometimes vibration. It's not harsh or anything, but noticeable. I think it's a fair trade-off though compared to its 4x4 abilities...

Anyway I'm happy thus far, but I've only driven 15k and the mileage is pretty low. We'll see from here, but so far, considering the price, I would recommend a late 90's Explorer.

Review Date: 10th November, 2007

1997 Ford Explorer 4WD Sport 4.0L OHV V6 from North America

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission 4.0L OHV V6 Automatic
Previous carHonda Prelude

Summary:

The perfect bargain SUV, reliable, fun and safe.

-Sway bar/Stabilizer bar links broke - my fault doing drift corners in the snow around the city, replaced with stronger ones, never any problems since, and I still do drifting :) fairly cheap parts and labour ($150 installed)

-Front driver side wheel bearing wore out - not unusual for a 9 year old car expensive ($400 part, $175 labour)

-Replaced fan belt tensioner (making some noise, not sure if it was necessary, but could've resulted in something worse like engine overheating!)

Ford overprices maintenance, take it to a reputable local shop, get the parts through NAPA and you're set. who needs to service a 9 year old car at the dealership when it doesn't get you any more resale value and lightens your wallet?

General Comments:

I follow the provided regular scheduled maintenance guide religiously, I don't drive more than 200kms over the service period ex. 168000kms, just like a woman, if you take care of her she will take care of you!

I only use Castrol syntec 5w50 oil. and change it every 3 months or 5,000kms 3 months always seems to happens first, I only drive about 1,500kms a month at most.

I love the looks of this car clean lines, big grille, large opening doors, comfortable seats and all the dials are where you want them to be, A/C and heat are incredible I can't stand to have either on full, there's something you don't see with imports, they have small weak vents that don't give off any sort of temperature control compared to this one! power is decent gotten it up to 165km/h with no problems and its only at 3200 rpm! Unbeleivable. The ride is fairly rough even after I swapped in a set of monroe sensatrac shocks all around, but increased handling and decresed stopping distance (made it shorter) but I still feel all the cracks and bumps in the road (and yes I have played with tire pressure, it didn't do much at all).

Stock stereo was barely passable, put in panasonic deck, and alpine type r speakers all around. Unbeleivable acoustics for an SUV.

Gas mileage is what you expect from a full-time 4WD (control track) SUV with a decent engine. If you want better gas mileage swap in a performance air filter system such as a K&N stock air system replacement, also gives about 10% more HP and 15% more torque (who wouldn't want mroe of those?) or get a 4Runner with the 4 cylinder engine, and put a turbo on it for addded power.

The 4WD system is unbeleivable, in 4wheel auto its almost bullet proof, in 4 High I climbed a solid ice mountain road. I have left the following competitors in the ditch: Jeep Grand Cherokee, Hummer H2, Yukon Denali, GMC Envoy, Dodge Durango, any and all full size pick ups (yes including F150, no enough weight in the back for good winter traction) and finally, to my surprise I was able to pull an Audi A6 Quattro out of the ditch in 4 Low and it didn't even struggle. I might add that I have stock sized Michelin LTX M/S tires, they are all seasons, ride quiet, but have awesome traction when needed. If you want a used SUV PLEASE, do yourself a favour and drive an Explorer. Those who believe in "fix or repair daily" clearly have never owned an Explorer. Remember, domestic cars are OK, Domestic SUV's are king of the road.

Ford has made an excellent, reliable, fun to drive, truck based SUV. No wonder its still the #1 selling SUV in NORTH AMERICA!

I loved my Honda, but she was aging, 1986 Prelude, and I needed something to get me to the mountains, and to college/work without any hassles no matter what the weather is. I've driven in snow that has been above the top of the rims leaving 6 inches of tire untouched and still plows through like you wouldn't believe.

I will be selling my Explorer in the next few months to get the next generation model (2002-2005), better riding suspension, a little bigger overall and a more powerful, better gas mileage V8. 2 doors is fine if you don't haul people all the time, but I suggest if you have trouble getting in and out of high places, you don't want a 2 door explorer, otherwise its got the same power, less weight and almost the same amount of cargo space as the 4 door. The OHV V6 is a very very reliable engine, but if you want a little more power, try for the OHC V6.

Review Date: 5th May, 2006

5th May 2006, 12:59

I'm only 17 years old and my mom owns a 1997 Ford Explorer. To me, it's the best SUV someone could have. It has a V8, 5.0L engine equipped with automatic all wheel drive. I was doing research on this vehicle, but I can't find if that particular year model was made with a factory installed engine that had a 5.0L. I'm still wondering. However, the truck has about 115,000 miles on it and is in nearly perfect condition, body wise. When I start it up, it sounds great. One trend that I'm noticing is when I sometimes make a right turn fairly sharp, there's a banging noise it makes as though it's rubbing against something. I looked into it, but have found no orgin of where its coming from. I also tested 2 other Explorers of the same exact year and they have the same problem. But nevertheless, it handles great. Stopping distance is great too. I have an idea for Ford, which would definitely boost sales up, but they won't take my ideas for some odd reason.

5th May 2006, 16:16

In response to the person who doesn't know whether the 97 Ford Explorer came with a factory installed 5.0L. The 5.0L/302 was first available in the Explorers in 1996, and in 2002, they replaced the 302 option with a 4.6L, which has 30 more horsepower. One of my friends has a 2000 Mountaineer (same vehicle) with the 5.0L (Full time 4WD) and it seems to have great get up and go, although the 302 only has 210 hp, not an exceptional amount.

5th May 2006, 21:52

What are the torque numbers on those engines then?

5th May 2006, 23:23

The 5.0L has 280-288 lb. ft. of torque, and the 4.6 is rated at 280.

25th Jan 2007, 20:11

On the 2006 model year, the 4.6L gained 62HP and 20lb.ft of torque, making it 302hp and 300lb.ft of torque, as Ford switched from an aluminum block SOHC 4.6L V8 from the Mustang GT, to the DOHC aluminum block 4.6L V8 from the Mustang Cobra, which was also used in the 2002-2005 Lincoln Aviator.

29th Oct 2008, 17:19

How are they on gas mileage? I'm looking at a 97 Ford Explorer Sport. It's a 4.0, V6, 5 speed, just curious how they are on gas.