1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Over all, I am extremely satisfied with Ford

I bought my V6 97 Explorer used, back in 2000. It had 103,000 miles on the odometer.

Now 6 years later, it has more than 307,000 miles. This truck does not smoke has never leaked oil, and has never had any major mechanical problems. The fuel pump gave out at about the 200,000-mile mark, but once replaced the truck was up and running again. Air conditioner went out at 250,000.

General Comments:

I change the engine oil and filter on this truck about every 10,000 miles and change the transmission oil every 50,000. The only oil I use in my truck is Castrol Full Synthetic Oil, 10w30 for winter months, 10w40 for the summer and Mobil 1 Full Synthetic Transmission Oil. Sure Full Synthetic oil is more expensive, but in the long run it will save you lots of money on engine and transmission repairs.

Review Date: 15th March, 2006

20th Apr 2006, 15:29

I have a question for you, since you have drive your car for more than 200 k miles...

When you drive your car in the city or on traffic, the over-drive light must be on or Off??

I just bought an explorer...thanks.

20th Apr 2006, 19:45

Only turn overdrive off if the tranny is constantly "hunting" for gears by upshifting and downshifting too much. Or if you're towing something.

For most city/traffic driving you can keep overdrive on.

1997 Ford Explorer XLT 4.0 from North America

Summary:

I would never purchase another one!

Radiator Cracked

Transfer Case rebuilt

Transmission rebuilt (Transmission was serviced a regular intervals)

Just about every sensor replaced

Radio problems

Other costly repairs like the $450 we just spent recently to replace some obscure part.

Left us stranded on two different occasions. I am not sure what was wrong either time.

General Comments:

This car is very expensive to maintain.

I have personally spent over $3,000 to in repairs. This is greater then the combined total that I've spent on repairing every vehicle I have ever owned and I've been driving for 30 years.

Review Date: 30th December, 2005

1997 Ford Explorer SportTrac 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Death Cab

Transfer case motor went out (no 4-wheel drive) @ 131,000 miles ($300)

Transfer case motor needed further adjustments (wouldn't engage in 4-wheel drive) @ 131,500 miles ($100)

Tranny servicing (making clunking sound from reverse to drive) @ 133,000 miles ($100)

Spark plug wires went bad (car shuddering) @ 134,000 miles ($30)

Front brakes wore down @ 135,000 miles ($50)

Intermediate planetary gears shot (tranny making whistling sound) @ 137,000 miles (estimated cost to fix: $1200-1800)

General Comments:

I have never had so many problems with a car in my life. This was my first Ford vehicle I have ever purchased, and my first mid-sized SUV. I have only had the car for 4 months and put 6,000 miles on it and am up to my ears in debt over it. After paying the shop for my tranny to be fixed and having them add it on to my loan since I don't have $2000 to fix it, I will be about $5000 upside down in this ridiculous piece of machinery. Everything cosmetically has aged nicely, the paint looks good, the interior is exceptional--the seats are very comfortable. I don't know if this is the norm, but this vehicle can barely get me down the road. I'm the 3rd owner apparently. The only sweet release would be for me to be its last - kill the car!!

Review Date: 13th October, 2005

12th May 2006, 04:48

I hear you. It is such a bummer to buy a good reliable 8 year old car, with 130,000 miles on it, and then actually have some problems! Boy, it is hard to believe this has happened to you!

20th Sep 2006, 16:15

I have a ford explorer that I purchased used and it hasn't been a pleasant experience. First I had to replace the motor with only 125k miles on it. Second the engine idles too low as though it will cut off, I think someone else wrote about that problem. Now the tranny is slipping, I have bought used cars before, but never with the problems I have experience with this one. never again will I buy an American vehicle.