1997 Ford Explorer Reviews - Page 4 of 7

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1997
Distance when acquired112000 miles
Previous carChevrolet Blazer

Summary:

Excellent Buy even for Ford Sceptics

Air conditioning went out about 2years after I bought it. Never went to fix it. Sold it recently as is and the buyer said he thinks it's a small problem and he can fix it easily. Tire went flat on me once, but I work where there is a lot of construction and nails from my work were in the tire. That wasn't cheap... your looking at $100 for the cheapest new tire I could find. No major problems EVER!

General Comments:

Tires are really hard so you feel bumps in the road a lot. Handling is okay around corners you have to take it slow, but that is common with most SUV's. Very roomy, extremely comfortable. Had all power options, keyless entry, rear air, leather, 6 CD changer....oh i loved it! Planning on buying newer one soon. Definitely a good buy! Well worth the money!

Review Date: 2nd October, 2005

4th Feb 2006, 08:53

I bought my 97 Explorer Sport in 98 with 11,000 miles on it. It was a one owner, lady driven 5-speed. Although, it did have to have a new clutch, around 14,000 it was covered under the warranty. I have had it for 8 years now and the only other work it needed was a sensor replaced. Yes, I would absolutely buy another FORD EXPLORER. I have nothing, but good things to say about the ford that I bought. It's up to you to take care of the vehicle and maintain it with regular service.. Another good thing, when the recall happened with the tires, I had all 5 tires replaced for FREE. $600 worth... Still driving it with no problems.. 89,000 miles.

1997 Ford Explorer XLT from North America

Model year1997
Year of manufacture1996
First year of ownership1999
Previous carNissan Altima

Summary:

Great, reliable car that gave us almost no problems

A/C needed recharging at 96,000 miles.

Radiator hose needed replacement around 80,000 miles.

Intermittent mode on wipers quit working around 95,000 miles.

General Comments:

Had my husband not been involved in an accident that totaled out this car, I would have driven it into the ground. I call her old faithful. We purchased this car when it was 3 yrs. old with 36000 miles, a lease turn in. Drove it for 6 years and put 60,000 more miles on it with no troubles other than routine maintenance like oil changes and brake pads, plus the 3 things mentioned above. It was a comfortable drive, very sturdy, and most importantly it did its job in protecting my husband during a terrible accident. He walked away with an airbag burn and a separated shoulder, and the paramedics said he easily could have died. The one downside was it drives more like a truck than a car, and I never felt comfortable driving higher speeds on the highway (over 70mph).

Review Date: 29th April, 2005

1997 Ford Explorer XL V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Cavalier

Summary:

I will buy another one!

Other than scheduled maintenance we have only had to do one repair.

We had to replace the brakes and rotors because the previous owner ran them down. $1100.00.

General Comments:

My wife and I are very happy with this truck. We have had it for two years and go off road frequently.

We live in Alaska, with heavy winters, and lots of off road opportunities.

The ride is smooth, although not as quiet as we would like.

As SUV go we get good gas mileage about 16 miles per gallon in town and great on the highway about 25 miles per gallon.

My wife thinks the power is fine, but I find it a little lacking. The optional V8 would have fixed that.

In our opinion this is a great family SUV, fun and dependable. We plan to replace this one with a new Explorer in a few years.

Review Date: 19th July, 2004

14th Dec 2004, 16:19

My wife and I are considering purchasing a 97 Explorer, and were wondering if you had experienced the same problem as others with the A/C part that fails in the dash. Something with the plane door that allows heat in during normal operation. Thank You.