1991 Ford F150 Reviews - Page 3 of 5

1991 Ford F150 XLT Lariat 5.0 from North America

First year of ownership1998
Most recent distance82000 miles

Summary:

Good workhorse on the farm

A/C has been faulty and never worked properly.

General Comments:

Just sold this today. Was a family farm vehicle for many years, low miles, great condition, very little rust in wells, all the goodies.

I'm not a Ford guy per se, but inherited this one from a family member. Really liked having the dual tanks, but could have used more torque in pulling. That's why I drive a Chevy Z71, but this old Ford was a good truck through 3 owners.

Review Date: 4th October, 2007

1991 Ford F150 Custom 4.9 Straight six from North America

Year of manufacture1990
Engine and transmission 4.9 Straight six Automatic

Summary:

The do anything pull anything truck

Serpentine belt slipped off, but drove it thirty minutes without hurting it, other than overheating.

One of my wheels bent causing a rough ride. Must have ran off the road and damaged it.

General Comments:

It is a very tough truck. I have put this truck through some very rough things.

It has been reliable and with heavy duty springs, it will haul anything. I have had 600 pounds of chairs in the back and barely squatted it. I have hauled 3 scoops of mulch in the back and it still did not squat much.

It is a great truck for any kind of work, where you haul or pull anything.

Review Date: 12th September, 2007

13th Sep 2007, 13:09

I meant it is a 1991 not 1990. Sorry.

2nd Oct 2007, 11:53

The most versatile truck I have ever owed. Used to haul or tow two – three times a week. Never lets me down or leaves me stranded. This truck works all week and then load up the kids and the 30’ Trailer and head to the lake for the weekend.

1991 Ford F150 Custom Inline 6 from North America

Engine and transmission Inline 6 Automatic
Previous carFord F150

Summary:

Great truck most of the time

In general, my Ford F150 has been a very good vehicle for me. I use my truck primarily for trips to the home improvement store and to haul my motorcycle around. Recently, my truck has been experiencing unusual sputtering. The truck would be running perfectly, then it start to sputter like the engine was going to die. There's a distinctive smell of gas from the exhaust with white smoke. After pulling to the side of the road for 30 minutes, it would be just fine for a little while before I'm stuck on the side of the road again. I changed the coolant temperature sensor, air charge temp. sensor, fuel pump relay, and EEC relay, but I'm still having the problem. I can't seem to figure it out. I've spend more money trying to fix this one little problem.

General Comments:

I get good mileage with this the in-line 6 and have had very little problems with it. It's enough power for what I use the truck for.

Review Date: 14th July, 2007

11th Sep 2007, 10:32

It seems like an ignition module. I think Ford still put them on the side of the distributor in 1992-1993. They short out when they heat up.

7th Sep 2009, 20:29

Hey. I got a 91 Ford with the 300 6 cylinder. Mine did the same thing!!! If you go through antifreeze and it blows white smoke, it is your head gasket. Replace it and get the head checked for any cracks or it being warped. A new head costs $600, but about 1800 from someone to do it. I just replaced the engine in mine cause my head was cracked in 4 spots. Not good.

1991 Ford F150 Custom 302 Cu.In. 5.0 Litre from North America

First year of ownership1991
Engine and transmission 302 Cu.In. 5.0 Litre Automatic
Previous carChevrolet Chevrolet

Summary:

She is well worth spending some bucks on

My overdrive has gone out At 137,000 miles.

General Comments:

I'm planning a new motor and paint. The suspension and chassis are tight. Solid vehicle.Keeper.

Review Date: 4th March, 2006

1991 Ford F150 XLT Lariat 5.0 V8 from North America

First year of ownership1991
Engine and transmission 5.0 V8 Automatic
Previous carBMW 3 Series

Summary:

It is a good solid truck

New transmission at 115,000 miles. Had to replace rear tank fuel pump twice, first time about 85,000 miles, again at 95,000 miles. Developed bad oil leak at rear transmission seal. Two cracked exhaust manifolds at about 110,000 miles. Power windows stopped operating at 135,000 miles. Bench is wearing thin and tore at 130,000 miles, not too bad I think. Driver's side armrest tore off too.

General Comments:

Despite all of the above, over the years this truck has been a great performer. Hauled motorcycles in the bed with a flat bed trailer with a car from east coast to El Paso. Several coast to coast trips went with no problems. A good solid truck. Nothing fancy, certainly not spartan either. Hopefully will drive it for many more years.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2006