2000 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L from North America

Summary:

A good truck that has never treated me wrong

Never had any failures to leave me walking.

Replaced a few parts from age. Spark plugs, 2 coil packs from prior repair person broke the hold in screws, needs the door seals replaced.

When I bought the pickup, the ABS system was broke and still is, and the horn does not work as it's missing.

All prior owner issues, and used car dealer putting the screws into the buyer.

General Comments:

It's been a real good truck. Really haven't spent very much repairing, since the normal stuff you find a couple of weeks after buying a 7 year old used pickup.

The gas mileage stinks, and the engine seems to hate revving up. Always shifts down too much. Still better than the 1994 F-150 I had though.

I put in a Hyperchip programmer and AFE air intake, and it raised the fuel mileage from 13-14 to 16-17 mpg on the highway at 65 mph. At interstate speed it still stinks, so I don't keep track. The Hyperchip seems to be very effective, and now the engine acts like it wants to rev over 3K RPM. Don't know why Ford puts the oil filter where they do. Hard as hell to reach the thing.

Still don't have the ABS fixed, but did not know it had the fuse pulled for 6 months. And the bulb behind the ABS indicator in the instrument panel was removed as well when I bought it.

I would like to keep it for another couple of years, and don't see any problem in doing so. There is no smoking out the pipes or oil leaks.

I bought this pickup after a divorce, and being left with the mini-van. It's a fine secondary vehicle when it snows or I need to visit the Home Depot. I would like to see the rear seat space larger. The GM pickups have more space in the extended cab area. When I get rid of this truck, it will to get a club cab so the kids fit. All those damn car seats they require nowadays.

Review Date: 4th May, 2009

20th May 2010, 22:09

Haha, I hear ya about the car seats. Friggin things are never in right.

9th Jan 2013, 13:46

I had the same ABS light problem. For me it was the rear diff sensor. It's held in by 1 bolt and the relay wire. $12.99 at Autozone. Takes 10 minutes to change, give it a shot!

2000 Ford F150 XLT 5.4L V8 from North America

Summary:

The most powerful and reliable truck I've seen

So far the only problem I have had was a blown fuse, which of course will happen with any vehicle; not much of a problem, a 2 minute $2 fix.

General Comments:

This truck has more power and comfort than any vehicle I have ever driven.

It feels more like a race car then a pick up truck.

It has surpassed any expectations I ever had for a truck.

It hauls, tows, and runs like a champ.

After I owned a Blazer, and had it in shop at least once a month. I decided to give Ford a shot, and I wish I would have done that along time ago. I would recommend this truck to anyone.

Review Date: 1st September, 2007

2000 Ford F150 5.4 from North America

Summary:

Poor

Front end alignment out from factory. Dealer charged $500 to fix.

Doors breaking in half at lower window level. Dealer says it's too late to address.

Uncontrollable throttle response at take off.

5 flats to date.

Oil leaks on engine, ticking lifters?

Bench seat is ungodly uncomfortable, due to the dip you sit in being 6" off center of the steering wheel.

Stereo no longer has any lighting to show station.

General Comments:

Terrible ride; worse than my 1 ton diesel.

Tranny can't make up mind what gear to stay in.

Review Date: 12th August, 2006

2000 Ford F150 XLT from North America

Summary:

The truck does get good gas millage over all

I just bought the truck and found out the Flywheel is missing or burnt teeth for about 3" t0 4" on the flywheel. The starter will have to be replace to. I never owned a vehicle with a bad flywheel ever. Is this a common problem on 2000 Ford F-150 and other Ford made product.

Review Date: 17th March, 2006

18th Mar 2006, 14:35

Do your research before buying a used car. Sounds like you got screwed over.

2nd Sep 2007, 11:42

It sounds like you got screwed over. Next time make sure to carefully look over the vehicle and get a car fax report. Also as far as the gas mileage goes its great when compared to other trucks from then same era.