2001 Ford Focus 1.6 petrol Zetec from Norway

Summary:

It's OK, nothing more

Rear suspension, wheel bearings, brake calipers rusted, the distributor literally cracked, the motor controlling the wipers, wire for opening the door, door locks.

General Comments:

It was a decent car to begin with, OK on fuel usage, good comfort, spacious.

The heated windshield was awesome to have in the winter!

Great heater in this car, never once froze in it.

Very quiet on the roads, easy for a baby to sleep in it :).

But here comes the negative: The car decays, and it decays fast! I had barely replaced the brake calipers before I needed to replace them again, the brakes in the back wouldn't release, wheel bearings said bye bye.

A week later I threw it away. It felt more like sailing a boat than driving a car at this point. Not my plan to empty my wallet over a car I got for around 1k USD.

If you've got some extra cash for parts (a lot of parts), then it's a good car. If you want a car that you don't need to spend a lot on, don't go with this.

Review Date: 4th November, 2016

5th Nov 2016, 00:27

As has been said more than twice on this site... you bought a 16 year old car and expected it to behave as if had come through a time warp directly from the factory.

10th Nov 2016, 12:10

No, you're pretty damn mistaken.

Do note that I had already repaired several errors, only for them to come back rather fast. And don't give me that "Old car, expect repairs", I've driven everything from 40 year old Japanese cars to the newest BMWs.

Take for instance the 3 cars I have at the moment:

A 1998 Celica which I just replaced brakes on, rear and front (98 is older than 2001, mind you).

A 1998 Mercedes E200, brakes, water pump and a couple of hoses.

A 1999 VW Passat, a few wires here and there, regular maintenance.

All of the cars I own now are older, as you can see, requiring less work than the Focus... hell, all 3 of them together require less! Catch my drift?

To go even further, I had a 1983 Toyota Corolla that had been standing in a barn for 20 years, requiring only new cables for the spark plugs, plugs, capacitor, suspension all around the car... and of course brakes (that was in 2015).

Or my old '94 W124 E250d. Drove it 300000 (yes, 300k), requiring only general maintenance, power steering pump (twice), and new return-hoses (the old was leaky, letting air in).

So, by your logic, how did all of those cars require less work than a newer Ford Focus?

2001 Ford Focus Zetec 1.6 from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Very reliable and surprisingly nice to drive

Erratic idle speed; fixed by replacing worn out part for about £120.

Rear windscreen wiper stopped working; fixed easily.

The car never broke down.

General Comments:

I had my Focus for about a year and a half, when it was 10-11 years old. To date it has been the most reliable car I have ever owned.

Needless to say there are thousands of them all over the UK - the downside of this is simply that you're driving a fairly 'ordinary' - some may even say boring - car. The good news is that driving it is not so boring. The Focus was surprisingly good to drive. It's no sports car, but it felt solid, and was responsive and comfortable. A confident cruiser on the motorway, and easy to drive around town. In terms of fuel, it was economical enough, but not outstanding.

The QuickClear windscreen is fantastic in the winter - just make sure it works before you buy. I did wonder how much a replacement windscreen would cost given the heating elements required in it.

There's simply so much choice if you're buying a Focus - you may as well take your time and ensure you get a good one. Mine had been well looked after, but having lived in town it had a few minor scrapes and scratches on the bodywork. These didn't bother me, and meant I got the car at a good price. As far as I can tell, find a well looked after example and you should have a reliable car that's easy and cheap to run.

Review Date: 21st April, 2014