1999 Ford Mondeo Reviews - Page 11 of 14

1999 Ford Mondeo Si 24v 2.5 V6 from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.5 V6 Manual
Previous carVauxhall Vectra

Summary:

Love it to pieces!

Clock illumination packed up.

No other faults.

General Comments:

What a car! Lovely, snarly V6 delivers good performance, and unlike my previous Vectra, the chassis is more than up to the job of dealing with it.

Build quality is superb - I've done 46,000 miles in just over a year, and apart from tyres and a little bit of oil between services, the only fault has been a clock bulb conking out.

The Mondy is a delight to drive with a first class interior, plenty of grunt and wonderfully communicative steering. Despite being quite a big car, it can play in the back lanes like a good hot hatch, with the engine spinning smoothly to the red line, and the chassis offering as much balance and poise as you could ask for.

My only gripe is the fuel consumption. On a run it'll ease into the 30's but 25 is more like the average, and I've seen high teens when using the power to the full.

Still, a great car which I still love to drive. Impressive considering I virtually live in it some weeks. Beats the Vectra into a cocked hat!

Review Date: 8th December, 2001

1999 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0i from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.0i Manual
Previous carFord Escort

Summary:

Excellent value for money, BUY ONE

Drivers side bottom arm was badly worn at my 20 000 miles service, this was fixed under the warranty, but would have been classed as an MOT fail in the UK.

Air conditioning system was destroyed when a stone or some other object pierced the radiator, this was corrected under warranty, but the parts took over 5 weeks to arrive.

General Comments:

This car is my third Ford, so I bought it with my eyes open. The one problem that I seem to have with Fords is their brakes. I have just discovered that my discs need to be replaced as they are badly worn, BE AWARE, check if you are purchasing a second hand model.

Handling is fantastic, corners can be taken at great speeds.

Acceleration is also fantastic, the injectors kick in at 4500rpm with a notable increase in acceleration.

The car comes with many mod cons as standard, including electric drivers seat (very comfy), air conditioning, alarm, alloy wheels (expensive tyres) and also electric windows.

I would quite happily recommend this car to anyone, it suits my needs perfectly ie. quick, great drive and a little luxury thrown into the bargain.

Review Date: 12th August, 2001

26th Sep 2001, 09:50

I agree with the above comments, especially the bit about the tyres being expensive. I also find that they seem to wear on the front wheels on the outside edges very quickly. I know this is because it is front wheel drive etc, but they do seem to wear very quickly.

1999 Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.5 V6 24v from UK and Ireland

Engine and transmission 2.5 V6 24v Automatic
Previous carFord Granada

Summary:

A bit growley, but sharp and responsive

Washer pipe detached.

General Comments:

The car works OK, but these spoof leather seats are the most uncomfortable I have sat in. After an hours travelling my back is killing me and I don't have back trouble. The adjustable lumbar support seems to be too low down and my shoulder blades are pushed forward. The centre of the back rest does not support properly, does anyone have any ideas? or do I just sell it, I don't think I should have to put external additions to it.

Review Date: 10th May, 2001