2000 Ford Mondeo Ghia 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Bold new design at the time

Absolutely nothing beyond normal wear and tear expected over my 8 year ownership putting average mileage on it - brake pads and discs, exhaust, springs, oil and belt changes.

Cosmetically I thought it was a little weak - the car was a magnet for stone chips, paint seemed thin and not great quality. Interior plastics could also have been better quality in my opinion, the mk1 and mk2 were honestly more solid feeling cars than this mk3 Mondeo.

General Comments:

This was my first introduction to the 'new' mk3 Mondeo. Having owned a couple of mk1 and mk2 Mondeo's and been impressed by their reliability and low running costs, the mk3 was an obvious next choice for me.

Very late year 2000 registered Y registered car, this must have been one of the first built. I bought used in 2002 and got a good deal. Impressed enough to keep it for 8 years, this was overall a good car.

Ghia model is near top of range, electric everything as standard. A bit plasticy, but the interior was a nice place to be, comfortable seats and great driving position. Looking back the interior is kinda dated, but was cutting edge at the time.

2.0 engine was fast enough, economy was poor however. 32 mpg at best. Had it been a manual the mpg would have been closer to 40. But, it was a decent autobox and gave a relaxing drive.

On the outside I think it is a good looking car, particularly if you pick the right colour and wheels. This was about that time in the UK where everyone wanted a silver car for some reason. Mines was black with fairly unique Ghia wheels and looked great, most you saw about were the 1.8 LX's in silver, or even lower specced cars with wheel trims, not the car's best look.

Overall I think Ford played it safe with this one and built on the reputation of the earlier cars, whilst trying not to be too "futuristic" as some manufacturers were at the turn of the millennium. Will always have good memories of the early 2000's when I see these cars about.

Review Date: 24th January, 2022

30th Jan 2022, 19:42

The Mondeo was always a good car - providing you pick a nice specification and a good engine. Like yourself I have had all generations - mk1, mk2, mk3, and currently have a mk4 which is a great car. Not keen on the mk5 - just far too many electronic gizmos that no one cares about (you could say that about most modern cars to be fair). Probably a good car otherwise though.

2000 Ford Mondeo GLX 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Reliable

Misfire - HT leads replaced.

Locks a bit temperamental.

Air con was useless, never worked during my ownership. But it was 10 years old at this point, probably needed a re-gas.

Cosmetic rust, acceptable at age and mileage.

Normal wear and tear - brakes, suspension, servicing, battery, etc.

General Comments:

Loved this Mondeo. Last of the MK2 shape. One of the most reliable cars I ever had. Despite warnings from friends not to touch Fords, it gave me nothing beyond the normal wear and tear, and some minor faults expected as the age and miles rose, it never let me down.

2.0 GLX model is nothing special, but much better to drive and be in than a base 1.6 model. Engine was fast and economical (for its time) and the car was well equipped with the usual electronics. Very spacious. I liked driving it, smooth and quiet.

Sold back in 2018 at 18 years old with 150K on it still going strong.

Review Date: 28th July, 2021

2000 Ford Mondeo LX 2.0 petrol from UK and Ireland

Summary:

Ford take note!

Passenger electric window failed, didn't bother fixing.

Coolant loss and thermostat. Replaced both fairly easily and at low cost.

Reverse light switch failed, new switch, very cheap.

Tie rods, most suspension parts replaced over the time I had the car. Same for exhaust and brakes.

CD player was terrible, and scratched CD's.

Looked after it as much as I could, engine and gearbox were solid, serviced on time and cam-belt change done.

Cosmetic rust but nothing major.

General Comments:

My favorite Mondeo. MK 2 (not the newer MK 3 year 2000 model) this was the last of the older shape on a Y reg. I absolutely loved the look of the car in dark metallic blue with alloy wheels I put on to sharpen things up a bit.

Ford take note as to what made the 1990's Mondeo special - a blast to watch on touring car circuits, and a reliable simple family car.

LX model is low/mid range and you did not get much, but the interior was very comfortable, I put major mileage on this car and always got out after long journeys feeling great. Ergonomically still one of the best cars I ever had. Steering wheel and controls felt perfect. Buttons were logically laid out. Spacious.

To drive the car handled very sharp. Gear-change felt satisfying. Couldn't ask for better in a family car. The 2.0 is the best all round engine to go for, 35 - 40 miles per gallon with decent performance. Insurance and most repairs and servicing were cheap.

Scrapped back in 2015 due to being too old and too high mileage to justify spending lots of money on it at an MOT time, so I decided to let it go. Still miss this car, but definitely got my monies worth out of it. Have moved onto the newer models, very nice but there was something special about the earlier cars.

Review Date: 8th June, 2021