2006 Ford Mondeo LX 2.0 TDCI 130 bhp from UK and Ireland

Best car I've driven in a long time

Rear washer tubing came loose from the motor, and caused a leak in the back of the vehicle.

Airbag light came on after a trip to the local beach; was found to be due to seat belt pre-tensioner.

General Comments:

The car was bought through my company, as it was offered with a great package and long warranty.

When I first approached the vehicle, I couldn't believe how much bigger than my Corsa it was. It was higher and wider, and at first the thought of driving it was a little daunting, considering I have only ever owed your basic tin can hatchbacks.

The car interior is of a high standard, and everything fits and feels just as you would imagine from a manufacture that has been making this particular model since 2000.

Being one of the last in line of this shape Mondeo, I got a lot of 'toys' which I was not expecting due to the car being the base model LX.

The sound system is not bad either, considering the standard speakers are not quite what you would call bassy.

It also has a trip computer, air con, power steering, ABS, full airbags and all the usual kit you would expect from a modern day car, but the thing that I most like (which is quite sad) is the digital fans/air con, which I again had not been used to, and was only really expecting your typical twisty knobs.

Driving wise, this thing shifts. And considering the weight to power ratio, fuel consumption is fantastic, achieving around 42 mpg around town, and 53mpg on a recent journey to Liverpool from the South Coast. Impressive in my eyes.

Back to the power; it pulls really well through gears 2-4, and backs off a bit in the remaining two gears, but still has enough torque to get you out of trouble if needed. It handles like no big car I've ever driven, and at times you feel as though you're driving something smaller and sportier, with the comfort of a family car.

All in all, I intend to keep this car for a good while, all subject to my feelings towards the new VW Golf GT fading, which right now, is the only car I would consider changing it for.

Don't hesitate if you want one, you wont be disappointed!!!

Review Date: 21st March, 2008

27th Mar 2011, 15:00

I have just bought a 56 plate, and have found the rear washer does the same. How do you fix it?

2006 Ford Mondeo Titanium X 2.0 Litre turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Robust workhorse

Fuel injectors replaced at 52000 miles (off the road for two days).

Creak from the drivers side (don't know what causes it, nor do the dealer!).

Intermittent problem with rough idling when starting, has done this on numerous occasions, but the dealer cannot find a fault.

The Ford dealer service is very poor in general. This is not the first Ford I have had either. My previous car was a Honda; their service was superb.

General Comments:

Generally the car has been very reliable and robust.

I have covered 56000 miles in just over 2 years and this is a variety of long motorway journeys combined with city journeys, being driven fairly hard most of the time, despite the above issues the car has never let me down or broken down.

The equipment levels are superb, climate control, cruise control, heated windscreen, blue tooth stereo, automatic lights and wipers.

Comfort wise the seats are not brilliant, especially on a long journey, however the general interior space is very good and the car does look very nice; the alloy wheels on this model really set it off.

Review Date: 9th March, 2008

11th Mar 2008, 16:16

Nice car, but injectors at 50,000 miles? They should last three times that long.

The Delphi fuel system on these engines seems to generate a lot of stories about injector and high pressure pump problems, some of which cost thousands to put right. The coded injector system is a potential nightmare from a reliability point of view, and the high pressure pumps are not the most robust either.

I really like the Mondeo, and you can't knock the performance of the TDCi engines, but it would be a brave individual to contemplate owning one out of warranty.

11th Mar 2010, 13:52

I've got a 2006 06 Mondeo TDCI 130, and the injector trouble you speak of I have never encountered. I find it just as reliable as the previous 1999 Honda Accord I had. It hasn't missed a beat.

I bought it 2nd hand, and have had no issues whatsoever.

Just my two pence.

19th May 2010, 14:47

I had a 2006 2.0 TDCi Titanium X, that also suffered from the rough idling on occasions when starting, sounded like a tank when it happened, fault was never located?

Also had to have the injectors replaced at around 60,000 miles too, it went in for a routine service and the dealer said they needed replacing; as it was a company car, I didn't question the reasons why.

Other than those two items, it was a super car, which covered 70,000 miles in less than two years without ever letting me down.

6th Jan 2011, 09:01

I have a Mondeo Titanium X, 2.2 TDCi (2006). I bought it in August 2010 with 83,000 on the clock.

This car has been nothing short of a nightmare since the day I purchased it. The injector number 1 went, now injector number 4 has gone. There is also the possibility that the injector pump and turbo has gone.

I am regretting buying this car almost by the minute of each day. At £6750, I have been well and truly done I feel.

Certainly won't be purchasing a Ford again.