Problems when I got the car:
* Engine cutting out: A common problem with Probes up till Aug 1996. Caused by the immobilizer overloading the distributor. 97 & 98 models don't have this.
* Boot/Trunk struts don't hold up the door: Common problem. New struts cost £40. Nothing major.
* Power steering fluid leaking: Estimated to cost £400 to fix but I won't bother as it's a small leak. Only top up every 2 weeks.
* Loose window seal. Cost £65 to fix.
Problems/parts replaced with the car during my ownership.
* Thermostat: This was about £20 for parts & £20 for labour.
* Front headlamp bulbs replaced & upgraded.
* Wiper blades replaced.
I got this car for £750 in December 2006 it was cheap cause of the problems it came with (see above)
When I got the car I also got the wheels aligned which improved its drive.
In the 16 months I have owned the car I have done 35,000 miles mainly on motorways. I still have the original tyres that came with the car. The only unexpected problem I have found is the thermostat going. The other items I have replaced are to be expected with any car.
The oil has been changed every 5000 miles, filter every 10,000 miles. I use the UK Probe Owners web site for parts. Ford Probe Owners club (UK) for advice. Its the best £15 I have ever spent.
I have found most garages don't know a thing about the car including many Ford or Mazda garages (the engine & running gear of all Probes is by Mazda). I have also found many mechanics just not up to the job. I ask my local mechanic who is very competent about a problem that I have so that I know. I then go the other garages to ask them what the problem is & then a price to fix it. The list of garages/mechanics who have misdiagnosed problems is long. I have even found that going to a different garage within the same franchise produces different results & outcomes.
I love the car. So much so I bought a 2nd Probe which is garaged for future use. Why I love the car is because in the UK its very rare, I think it looks fantastic though not everyone agress. The look reminds me of Knight Rider, plus the insurance is surprisingly cheap for a sports car & lets not forget its very affordable.
Would you buy another car from this manufacturer? Yes
Review Date: 13th April, 2008