1988 Ford Ranger Base 2.0 liter from North America

Summary:

Great little truck after I fixed all the problems

When I first got the truck, it didn't work at all.

I replaced the whole ignition system.

I replaced the fuel pump.

I replaced the battery.

I replaced the gas tank.

I replaced the fuel and all brake lines.

I cleaned the carb.

I replaced the rear brakes, which made no sense, I should've done the fronts.

I replaced the master and slave cylinders and lines.

I replaced all the fluids in EVERYTHING.

I replaced all the fuseable links under the hood and the dash.

No radio when I got it, which was very disappointing, but so was the truck.

General Comments:

Now this little 1988 2.0 liter 5 speed 2WD Ranger that I own is a real engineering marvel, after you literally fix EVERYTHING!

I traded my beat to snot 1986 Pontiac T/A for it and a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO, thinking I was getting a good deal; turns out, not so much. I ended up selling the SHO to pay for the parts for the Ranger, because I needed a truck for winter.

I spent countless hours under the hood and frame of this thing, tuning and fixing it. Oh and countless amounts of money, which is not something I'm happy about.

After spending all that time and effort I realized that I had myself a little tank. I could haul decent loads of wood and I never got stuck in the woods or in the winter. Maybe for the fact that I welded an 8.8 rear end posi and had some meats, but I'm just saying.

Review Date: 12th May, 2010

1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9 from North America

Summary:

Long live the Ranger

Gas tank had a small leak - fixed.

Fenders have bad rust - bought good shape fenders, $20.

Power steering pump bearings - got one with the same, $20.

General Comments:

This is my favorite out of all the vehicles I've owned, minus the little problems I've had.

It has exceptional power, and does really well off road, compliments to the 3in body lift and 31-10-50 Mud Kings.

Review Date: 5th May, 2010

5th May 2010, 22:35

Sounds like you got a good truck! Once that 2.9 engine starts making a ticking sound however, get rid of the thing as soon as you can. While you can still get some $$ for it. Unless you like to rebuild engines.

1988 Ford Ranger S 2.3 from North America

Summary:

This truck is an unquestioned winner

I replaced the engine shortly after I bought it. Other than that, I replaced the clutch and flywheel at around 215000.

General Comments:

This a very striped down vehicle. I've driven the crap out of this truck, and it has never let me down.

I get a consistent 25 miles per gallon.

It is not built for speed or comfort for that matter, but it has always amazed me with its versatility and overall toughness.

Review Date: 16th December, 2009

1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

Sweet

Battery went when I got it.

Muffler had a hole in it.

Radio deck, head lights, and interior light went a month after I got it.

Needs new front brakrs.

General Comments:

Other than the few that are wrong, the truck is worth it, seeing that I only got it for $420.

It is good for driving to school and work, it is good on gas, and I would recommend it to anyone.

Review Date: 30th April, 2008

1988 Ford Ranger S 2.0 litre from North America

Summary:

Rugged truck in search of a motor

While under warranty the first year, the step bumper license plate light housing started rusting.

There was a fuel leak at the fuel pump that required three separate trips to the dealer to resolve.

There was and still is a water leak on the passenger side most times when it rains. Problem was never resolved.

The dash cover was warped and discolored, and return visits were necessary because screws were missing.

Trim was damaged while attempting to repair other problems requiring additional trips back to the dealer.

During the third year of ownership, carburetor was found to be defective. Cost to repair: $800.00.

Certain body panels were painted so poorly that the primer has bled through, or there was very little paint applied, leaving spots of paint and mostly primer coat.

General Comments:

This was the first new vehicle that I had ever bought. The poor quality control overall was very disappointing.

However, I still own this truck twenty years later and have learned to expect less when buying new cars.

This is the base model and had no creature comforts when I bought it. I later installed a radio and rear bumper, both experiences were not simple tasks. Several trips back to the dealer had to be made to purchase the necessary parts. What a pain!!

The 2.0 liter motor is very underpowered (for a truck) and don't head to the mountains because you might not make it up the hills.

I will say that the construction of the truck is rugged.

Review Date: 26th February, 2008