1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9 from North America

Summary:

It’s a beast of a truck and there isn’t anything like it

I’ve had a few issues with the vehicle, all very minor and fixed within a week of happening.

I’ve replaced the radiator when I first got it and had to replace a ground to the battery and a few other things.

General Comments:

I’ve had it for over 3 years now and it’s always gotten me where I need to go on the dirt or on the road. I lived out of mine for close to a year and it broke down on me in the desert a couple of times, but I was always able to get it going again within 30 minutes and it never happened twice the same day.

It’s gotten me up some of the steepest hills I’ve ever seen, and I love the truck 100%; will never sell it, it’s easy to work on and the thing just won’t stop running. I’ve jumped it, I’ve sunk it down till the windshield was half way under water and got through every last obstacle.

I could recommend this truck to anyone looking to get around the toughest places; it’s a skinny truck with a lot of off-road power

Review Date: 25th October, 2019

26th Oct 2019, 13:52

You drove this truck through water halfway up the windshield?

Yeah, that's believable alright, even if you had a snorkel, which is unlikely.

1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2.9L from North America

Summary:

This one's lasted almost 30 years; treat it right and it'll love you back

Brakes, clutch, muffler, starter, alternator, water pump, rear main seal, timing chain cover seal, power steering pump, electrical wire in dash, EGI valve, throttle cable, rear view mirror (passenger/driver's side), replaced several feet of corroded brake lines, brake booster, fuel pressure regulator, and valve cover seals.

General Comments:

Great truck. I've held on to it, learned how to work on vehicles, bought really nice tools to do the work.

It has consistently given me around 23.5 MPG. Only burns about 1qt of oil every 6000 miles. Everything major is still original. Although it's sadly losing the battle to rust and corrosion, the interior vinyl and cloth look amazingly good considering it's always been parked outside in the heat and sun.

At this point I'm expecting it will lose the battle to rust before it mechanically fails.

Review Date: 17th September, 2017

1988 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

The most reliable truck for the money ever built

I've wanted a Ranger since I was a kid. I found mine for cheap, and I don't baby it at all.

I've had to replace valve cover gaskets, water pump, plugs, wires, distributor cap, and do a basic service.

The master cylinder blew its seal; that sucked, but beyond that this truck has been reliable and has gotten me through some tough spots, mostly at the mud holes. There's no greater feeling in the world than crawling through a mud pit after watching lifted Jeeps getting stuck.

I love my Ranger. These things were built like tanks.

The only other issue I have is the tank selector valve is 350 bucks, and you can only get it from Ford. Besides that, it's a beast.

General Comments:

I'm a larger guy, so the cab could be bigger, but it's not too bad for space.

Once again, it's a beast, and I've had very minor issues with it, and I beat the hell out of mine.

Review Date: 16th April, 2013

22nd Jun 2013, 00:37

I 100% agree with this. My Ranger has the same engine, but is only rear wheel drive, but I beat the hell out of it over and over again. For example, I drove it through a canyon with up to 12% uphill grades for 135 miles with a bad oil pan gasket, 2 exhaust leaks and a transmission in very bad need of a power flush, and it made it no problem.

1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Excellent truck!!!

Timing belt went at 170500 miles roughly, then just went again at 185500 miles.

I seem to have a minor issue with the starter, that has been replaced twice in 1-1/2 years.

Brake lines from the master cylinder went 1-1/2 years ago in 2009.

The cap and rotor should be replaced every year, as with a normal tune up.

Rust is plentiful especially around the driver's mirror and the wheel wells.

The clutch plate has been replaced.

Most of the major repairs, including the leaf springs, have been done pretty much in 2008.

General Comments:

This truck has been in my family since it came off the assembly line.

All of the repairs that have been put into it have been normal wear and tear.

I can't complain too much about this truck, it has served me very well.

It's really good on gas, but does not like hills, especially with the cap on it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ford Ranger, especially if it's the same year as mine.

Review Date: 9th September, 2010