1988 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 2.9 V6 from North America

Summary:

The most reliable truck for the money ever built

I've wanted a Ranger since I was a kid. I found mine for cheap, and I don't baby it at all.

I've had to replace valve cover gaskets, water pump, plugs, wires, distributor cap, and do a basic service.

The master cylinder blew its seal; that sucked, but beyond that this truck has been reliable and has gotten me through some tough spots, mostly at the mud holes. There's no greater feeling in the world than crawling through a mud pit after watching lifted Jeeps getting stuck.

I love my Ranger. These things were built like tanks.

The only other issue I have is the tank selector valve is 350 bucks, and you can only get it from Ford. Besides that, it's a beast.

General Comments:

I'm a larger guy, so the cab could be bigger, but it's not too bad for space.

Once again, it's a beast, and I've had very minor issues with it, and I beat the hell out of mine.

Review Date: 16th April, 2013

22nd Jun 2013, 00:37

I 100% agree with this. My Ranger has the same engine, but is only rear wheel drive, but I beat the hell out of it over and over again. For example, I drove it through a canyon with up to 12% uphill grades for 135 miles with a bad oil pan gasket, 2 exhaust leaks and a transmission in very bad need of a power flush, and it made it no problem.

1988 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 from North America

Summary:

Excellent truck!!!

Timing belt went at 170500 miles roughly, then just went again at 185500 miles.

I seem to have a minor issue with the starter, that has been replaced twice in 1-1/2 years.

Brake lines from the master cylinder went 1-1/2 years ago in 2009.

The cap and rotor should be replaced every year, as with a normal tune up.

Rust is plentiful especially around the driver's mirror and the wheel wells.

The clutch plate has been replaced.

Most of the major repairs, including the leaf springs, have been done pretty much in 2008.

General Comments:

This truck has been in my family since it came off the assembly line.

All of the repairs that have been put into it have been normal wear and tear.

I can't complain too much about this truck, it has served me very well.

It's really good on gas, but does not like hills, especially with the cap on it.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy another Ford Ranger, especially if it's the same year as mine.

Review Date: 9th September, 2010

1988 Ford Ranger Base 2.0 liter from North America

Summary:

Great little truck after I fixed all the problems

When I first got the truck, it didn't work at all.

I replaced the whole ignition system.

I replaced the fuel pump.

I replaced the battery.

I replaced the gas tank.

I replaced the fuel and all brake lines.

I cleaned the carb.

I replaced the rear brakes, which made no sense, I should've done the fronts.

I replaced the master and slave cylinders and lines.

I replaced all the fluids in EVERYTHING.

I replaced all the fuseable links under the hood and the dash.

No radio when I got it, which was very disappointing, but so was the truck.

General Comments:

Now this little 1988 2.0 liter 5 speed 2WD Ranger that I own is a real engineering marvel, after you literally fix EVERYTHING!

I traded my beat to snot 1986 Pontiac T/A for it and a 1993 Ford Taurus SHO, thinking I was getting a good deal; turns out, not so much. I ended up selling the SHO to pay for the parts for the Ranger, because I needed a truck for winter.

I spent countless hours under the hood and frame of this thing, tuning and fixing it. Oh and countless amounts of money, which is not something I'm happy about.

After spending all that time and effort I realized that I had myself a little tank. I could haul decent loads of wood and I never got stuck in the woods or in the winter. Maybe for the fact that I welded an 8.8 rear end posi and had some meats, but I'm just saying.

Review Date: 12th May, 2010