1998 Ford Ranger Reviews

First year of ownership2012
Most recent year of ownership2013
Engine and transmission 2.5L gas 4 cylinder Manual
Previous carMazda B2200

Summary:

Nice little parts hauler

Rack and pinion went out. Replaced by dealership, along with PS pump. Tune-up & oil/filter change performed, by request, at that time also.

Clutch recently went out. Local mechanic R&R + flywheel resurface. New brakes also installed at that time.

General Comments:

To be fair, since the above repair/maintenance has been performed, I've run into a couple of former owners of my truck, and the overall impression I've been left with is that the truck was basically "rode hard and put away wet" by these people.

I don't plan on treating it in that manner.

The above repairs were bound to happen, and were probably why the truck was for sale in the first place.

On top of the above repairs, I've since replaced all the tires, and have purchased new wheels and snow tires for the winter months.

I now feel the truck is back to "ship shape" and seems to be running just fine.

Gas mileage seems to have settled in the 27 MPG range, and that's about 2 MPG over my old truck, so I'm happy with that part.

This truck also has a larger gas tank than the old one, so I can drive farther now. That's a nice option to have, especially living here where everything is at least 20 miles round trip.

At this point in time, the only faults I can find with this truck is that it feels a bit too high geared, the engine seems to make power too high in the power band, and the bed height is a bit too high.

Otherwise, I'm quite happy with it.

It drives nicely and has a comfortable ride.

Review Date: 30th July, 2013

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 from North America

Most recent year of ownership2011

Summary:

Very reliable, and well worth the investment!

Nothing so far. Only general repairs. I have replaced the clutch once, radiator and stator.

General Comments:

This truck has been great and reliable. It's overall performance on distant trips and local is great with fuel economy. I have yet to experience a roadside breakdown. Even with the mileage I have now on it, I feel comfortable going on long road trips.

The Ford Ranger is a great truck, and I will buy another one if this one gives up.

Review Date: 26th February, 2011

1998 Ford Ranger Ext. Bed 4x4 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission V6 Automatic
Previous carJeep Cherokee

Summary:

Best truck ever made

Nothing major has gone wrong with the truck within the two years I have owned it, other than the normal wear and tear of heavy driving and higher mileages.

I have had to get a few things repaired on it like:

New bushings.

Some new sensors (air, fuel, etc).

New sway bars.

New belts.

It has never failed me, and this truck never ceases to amaze me. This has been the most reliable truck I have ever owned, and I know that I am going to drive this truck until it can't be driven anymore.

On a side note, when I got this truck, my mechanic looked over it, and told me that the engine in these trucks were some of the best he has ever seen.

General Comments:

This truck has been the most reliable car I have ever owned. I drive it everywhere, and it has always started right up, and it drives like a dream.

The cabin is very roomy for me (I'm 6'3"), and there is a good amount of room for tools and other things behind the seats, on the storage shelves, (regular cab).

I love this truck, and would recommend it to anyone.

Review Date: 31st December, 2010

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture1997
First year of ownership2010
Engine and transmission 4.0L V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Ranger

Summary:

It was a good truck

Power steering started leaking.

70 MPH vibration since start of ownership.

Engine leaked a bit of oil.

General Comments:

Good high mileage truck that did have some age related issues..

This truck was my third Ford Ranger, and my second 1998 model year Ranger. The first was a 4cyl 5spd regular cab shortbed truck, and the other was a beat up 1992..

The truck in review was a good truck, always started, always ran good. It did have some issues, but I bought the most inexpensive 4x4 Ranger the local Ford dealer had on the lot, but even still, taking it on trips was no big deal because I never had to worry about it, and it would pull 20 MPG on the highway, and handled like a slot car because of the rear swaybar and long wheelbase (extended cab)..

The truck's life came to an end when I was driving down a road in the early morning, and the sun glared on the dirty windshield, and I hit a telephone pole at about 40 MPH.. airbags deployed, and really the truck did not seem to hit that hard.. both my friend and I were able to get out of the truck fairly easy and pretty much unharmed.. her door was jammed up a bit, and took just a tiny bit of prying to get it open.. after going back to where the truck was towed to, to clean out my stuff, it was obvious the truck really hit a lot harder than I thought, as the dash is pushed in a bit, and the cab is shifted off to the passenger side bad, which is why the door was jammed...

All in all, it's a pretty safe vehicle. It did a good job at saving our lives, and I will be buying another 1996 or newer Ranger (dual airbags) as my next vehicle.

Review Date: 8th September, 2010