1998 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Severely underrated

Blows the #27 fuse instantly.

Wheel bearings (from sitting by previous owner).

Overdrive doesn't always kick in.

4WD problems. Unsure of what it is exactly.

General Comments:

We pull our 12 foot box trailer with our Ranger with ease. This truck drives like it has 100,000 less miles on it. While the 4WD makes the ride bumpy, it is a very strong truck that responds when accelerated.

If there's one thing that is a constant inconvenience, it is the single cab versus the extended. Much more bang for your buck in the extended.

This truck has the potential to go for 250,000+ miles. It is truly a remarkable truck that has a lot more power than expected. A very good buy.

Review Date: 4th September, 2010

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 from North America

Summary:

The BEST truck I have ever owned

Neighbor ran into it in my driveway. Kid was drunk and had no licence. But mother stood up for it. Sorry to say too late. Insurance took first before I found out. I would have sued the B--- off the people otherwise for the full repair of truck.

General Comments:

Best darn car I have ever owned. She was a cream puff. Much better the d=== Sonoma GMC that I have now. I want her back so bad it really makes me mad at the neighbor.

Review Date: 24th April, 2010

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 4x4 4.0 from North America

Summary:

Perfect

I've only had to replace the lower ball joints once.

General Comments:

It runs and drives great. I take it mudding every day, it wears 33 12.50 tires, goes with no problem knock on wood, so I think it's a great truck.

Will own another if this one ever goes out, which it doesn't look like it will any time soon.

Review Date: 2nd September, 2009

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 from North America

Summary:

I love my little 98 stepside XLT

Oxygen sensor first problem, but was covered under warranty.

Shuddering while driving at any speed. Disconnecting battery and clearing the computer corrected the problem.

Interior light stayed on with the door closed, but spraying silicone lube into the door hinge corrected the problem.

Several dash lights out, but still able to see the gauges.

Grinds sometimes shifting into 3rd..

Have not replaced the timing belt/chain yet.

General Comments:

Bought the truck brand new, and still happy with it 11 years later.

Review Date: 6th July, 2009

1998 Ford Ranger XLT 2.8L V6 from North America

Summary:

Dependable strong little truck I would buy again

Brakes at 40,000.

Shocks at 45,000.

General Comments:

I am absolutely thrilled with my Ranger. My last car was a Corvette and the dealership had a heart-attack when I did a trade-in on a three-year old car that was worth more than the pick-up. They paid me to buy the truck.

This is my second Ranger, I had one in 1985. Neither vehicle has given me a lick of trouble. I am very diligent with the services and have the oil changed every three months mileage regardless. People bust on me for using the dealership for service but I do not see them as being any higher and my dealership is most reliable and very honest.

I have also owned an extended-cab S10 and found the interior space cramped and confining, not so with the roomy little Ranger. The heater is really quick to warm up, the stereo sounds great, the ride is very truck-like but the hauling capacity is fine. The only thing that doesn't still work is the lights in the radio, but that isn't Ford's product.

Review Date: 27th November, 2008

1998 Ford Ranger Supercab XLT 4.0, 245 from North America

Summary:

Awesome. It's cheaper than buying a new pickup

When I first purchased my used 4x4 1998 Ford Ranger Super Cab XLT, it had 63,000 miles. I noticed it made a knocking noise every time I drove off. A Ford dealer told me that it was normal for the 1998 Ranger to make that knock when you first accelerate.

I took my truck to a mechanic in Dunnellon, FL when i was visiting from New Jersey, to get my oil change, I explained to him about the knocking noise when I drove off, and when he did a research in his computer regarding the knocking noise, it suggested to put a grease fitting on the front drive shaft-yok and the noise went away.

My thermostat was replaced 85,000. So far knock on wood; no other problems with 115,000.

General Comments:

So far, awesome.

It handles great, just put on some Goodyear Fontra tires in a larger size, and Bilstein shocks.

I used Royal Purple motor synthetic oil 5-W30, and used a mobil one oil filter.

It's all about maintenance.

Review Date: 24th September, 2008