2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

The Ford Ranger 3.0 V6 is a reliable, efficient, and durable workhorse!

Nothing.

General Comments:

We own the Ranger Edge step side regular cab that we bought used, and this truck is absolutely great! For a 3.0 V6, it is a real workhorse that gets great gas mileage too. We have loaded the bed with logs, rocks, sand, and cargo, and I am amazed at how durable the bed is! We use it for towing a dirt bike and 2 utility quads in a trailer, and it has power to spare!

Other than our rear brake pads finally wearing out, we have done nothing more than add gas and change the oil and drive it. Amazing reliability, and we off-road this truck a lot! No squeaks, drips, or hiccups. We love this little Ranger and doubt we will ever sell it.

If you're on the fence about buying one that is in decent shape, do it! You will not be let down.

Review Date: 13th January, 2015

2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L from North America

Summary:

Best truck I have ever owned

Nothing.

General Comments:

This truck has a lot of power.

Make sure that you perform the maintenance on this vehicle, and you will have it for a long time.

In order to use regular gas and have no pinging, use the E3 spark plugs.

Review Date: 29th October, 2010

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Excellent

I have found nothing wrong with the vehicle so far. The only thing I noticed from the day I bought it was there is a momentary hesitation that feels like a jerk. It doesn't do it all the time maybe once a month. I may be wrong but it feels like the computer is resetting itself. Every Ranger V6 I have driven did the same thing and no one can tell me what it is.

General Comments:

It's fairly quick for a V6. The pulling power is great for a small truck. On a trip I get between 24-26 mpg. I just returned from a trip pulling a U Haul open trailer with about a 1,000 pounds in it to North Carolina and had no problems whatsoever. I drove 70-75 mph with the cruise control on all the way, and it performed very well, even going up the mountains.

I wish they would make a full 4 door model in this truck like Dodge and Toyota on their small trucks. If they did I would surely buy another one.

Review Date: 27th May, 2009

2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

Excellent vehicle. Buy American

The only problem I have had is the windshield wipers will not operate at times. I have the new column mounted switch on the shelf. I hope this solves the problem. This seems like a bad ground or bad contact situation.

General Comments:

I am very pleased with this vehicle overall. I have heard a lot of complaints about poor mileage with the 4.0 liter engine, but I have been getting 22 mpg during mixed highway/city driving in warm weather. Of course, the mileage drops off to about 18 during cold weather and 4wd use. The motor seems more powerful than 207 horse. It has huge torque beginning at 3,000 rpm and runs quietly.

The 5 speed transmission is smooth as silk and the low gear is a true low. I leave most people at the stoplight without trying.

The truck seems very solid and well-built. This is one of the few vehicles I have owned in my 60 years that I am completely satisfied with.

The mileage problem may be a matter of too much right foot. I drive lightly and get mileage far above EPA estimate of 19 highway. You have got to tweak these things for mileage. It could be that an automatic transmission will drag fuel economy way down. That is the price you pay for the convenience of not shifting manually. I will buy another Ranger without a doubt.

Review Date: 10th December, 2008

7th Oct 2010, 12:04

If you compared your previous car to this, which do you like better?