2004 Ford Ranger Reviews

2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0L Automatic
Previous carToyota Tacoma

Summary:

Best truck I have ever owned

Nothing.

General Comments:

This truck has a lot of power.

Make sure that you perform the maintenance on this vehicle, and you will have it for a long time.

In order to use regular gas and have no pinging, use the E3 spark plugs.

Review Date: 29th October, 2010

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4.0 V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 V6 Automatic
Previous carToyota Tundra

Summary:

Excellent

I have found nothing wrong with the vehicle so far. The only thing I noticed from the day I bought it was there is a momentary hesitation that feels like a jerk. It doesn't do it all the time maybe once a month. I may be wrong but it feels like the computer is resetting itself. Every Ranger V6 I have driven did the same thing and no one can tell me what it is.

General Comments:

It's fairly quick for a V6. The pulling power is great for a small truck. On a trip I get between 24-26 mpg. I just returned from a trip pulling a U Haul open trailer with about a 1,000 pounds in it to North Carolina and had no problems whatsoever. I drove 70-75 mph with the cruise control on all the way, and it performed very well, even going up the mountains.

I wish they would make a full 4 door model in this truck like Dodge and Toyota on their small trucks. If they did I would surely buy another one.

Review Date: 27th May, 2009

2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 liter V6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0 liter V6 Manual
Previous carChevrolet S-10

Summary:

Excellent vehicle. Buy American

The only problem I have had is the windshield wipers will not operate at times. I have the new column mounted switch on the shelf. I hope this solves the problem. This seems like a bad ground or bad contact situation.

General Comments:

I am very pleased with this vehicle overall. I have heard a lot of complaints about poor mileage with the 4.0 liter engine, but I have been getting 22 mpg during mixed highway/city driving in warm weather. Of course, the mileage drops off to about 18 during cold weather and 4wd use. The motor seems more powerful than 207 horse. It has huge torque beginning at 3,000 rpm and runs quietly.

The 5 speed transmission is smooth as silk and the low gear is a true low. I leave most people at the stoplight without trying.

The truck seems very solid and well-built. This is one of the few vehicles I have owned in my 60 years that I am completely satisfied with.

The mileage problem may be a matter of too much right foot. I drive lightly and get mileage far above EPA estimate of 19 highway. You have got to tweak these things for mileage. It could be that an automatic transmission will drag fuel economy way down. That is the price you pay for the convenience of not shifting manually. I will buy another Ranger without a doubt.

Review Date: 10th December, 2008

7th Oct 2010, 12:04

If you compared your previous car to this, which do you like better?

2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Engine and transmission 4.0L V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Bronco II

Summary:

Not too big, not too small, it's a great truck

Front tires needed to be rebalanced after I bought the truck. The tires were put on brand new before I bought the truck, and the warranty covered it for free.

Slight pull to the left at highway speeds, fixed free along with the tires.

General Comments:

I love this truck! It had 66000 miles on it when I bought it, but it rides and drives like new.

The 4.0L engine provides plenty of power. Even with the automatic transmission, acceleration is very good. It'll respond quickly in a tight situation and doesn't breath hard on the highway. The horsepower and torque numbers are so close to most small V8 engines in full size pickups, and it gets a lot better gas mileage. 17 to 18mpg around town and a nice 21mpg highway. Those numbers help out especially with the price of gas. However a lead foot will make those numbers drop, but that should be expected.

This truck handles great and rides nice for a pickup. The step side bed has plenty of room and isn't so long you can't maneuver into a regular parking space. Visibility out the rear side windows is excellent.

The extended cab has enough room for small objects, but the rear seats are very small and I usually don't let anybody ride back there mainly due to the lack of 4 doors, but I didn't buy this truck to haul people around. If that's your objective, buy a minivan not a truck.

The seats are comfortable, the air conditioning gets cold fast and works well, and power everything is a nice feature.

The sound system is one of the best stock systems I've heard, I replaced the rear speakers with Jensen 6x8's, they fit right in the stock mounting location. There was nothing wrong with the stock speakers, they were just a little weak. The stock CD player doesn't skip and works great.

Review Date: 27th August, 2007

13th Apr 2008, 17:46

R.I.P little Ranger...

I got into an accident with this truck and it resulted in a rollover. I walked away without a scratch, but my truck is totalled. I thank God for being alive to write this and it's unfortunate this happened. As much as we love our vehicles, in the end they can be replaced. People can't. Now it's time to start over with a new ranger. I plan on purchasing a new FX4 model. This isn't going to stop my love for trucks because I believe I would have been worse off if I was driving a small car. I can't end my farewell to my baby without telling the world to be safe out there. Have fun, but be safe.

11th Jul 2008, 14:55

I have had nothing but great experiences with my 'Little Red Truck'. I have always wanted a new PU, and finally got one. It handles great, I love all the features, air, power windows, door locks all the good stuff. I went on a 3,500 mile trip, one way by myself, and experienced absolutely no problems. Including snow over a mountain passes. I do keep my PU well maintained. For those that complain, take care of the vehicle, it will take care of you! Good maintenance is the key!

If you don't do it, don't cry! I am so pleased, thank you Ford!

4th Aug 2010, 15:06

Great truck so far. Gets about 17 MPG city, 21 to 22 MPG highway. I have driven it on 2 roadtrips already on hilly roads. 43,000 miles on it and no problems. The undercarriage is rusty, but no performance issues. The A/C is truly amazing. Within 1 minute at max settings, my cab is nice and cool. The gas mileage doesn't seem too affected by it either.

I got into a small fender bender with it and a sedan, and the only damage it received was a scratch on the rear hubcap. This truck is tough and dependable. If saving on gas is a priority though, then get a sedan, because this one gets about average for a vehicle, but it is still great for how much power you get in return.