2004 Ford Ranger 2.3L from North America

Summary:

Handy little truck, aside from the pinging issue

2004 Ford Ranger regular cab with 2.3L 4 cylinder.

At 32,200 miles, the engine started pinging while cruising, and some pinging while accelerating. After 30 seconds of sitting at idle (regardless of A/C on or off), RPM dropped to 300-500 and the engine began hunting badly. Sometimes died during the next 5 stoplights it took to get to the service center.

The Ford service center ran diagnostics, all cleared, including sensors, computer, and fuel pump pressure/volume. They replaced air and fuel filters, flushed fuel system, cleaned intake and MAS (air flow sensor). Also disconnected battery to reset engine computer.

For the next 200 miles I've driven, the pinging still occurs, some at cruise at 70mph down the freeway, also some especially after accelerating for several seconds.

Spark plugs were replaced 5,000 ago. Drive roughly 60 miles (half freeway, half city) daily. Until now have not had any problems, but this may become a large issue.

Fuel mileage in the last 1,000 miles has also degraded from 28-30 (with cab height fiberglass canopy) to 20-22. Engine certainly isn't friendly enough to register any fault codes.

I'm hoping the Ford dealer service center can find the problem next week, otherwise I suppose I'll have to spend as much as I paid for the truck on all sorts of diagnostic stuff, and plug it all in and monitor everything while driving down the road, or convert the thing to a stand alone fuel management system with all new sensors, to make sure I never get credit cards paid off.

Also had a 1994 V6 4x4, which I drove regularly, and never had any problems with. Love these simple little trucks, which can do most anything, while still fitting in a normal parking space and sipping fuel.

General Comments:

Handy fuel mileage.

Drives and shifts nicely (5 speed manual).

Newer suspension design and wider tires on the 2004 improves the handling, and keeps the rear tires from spinning on takeoff compared to the 1994 I used to have.

Review Date: 31st January, 2007

2004 Ford Ranger Edge 3.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

So far, this has been an excellent vehicle

I have experienced no problems with this vehicle to date.

General Comments:

I like this truck very much.

The over-all design appearance is very pleasing to my eyes.

The interior is well laid out and all controls are easy to reach. The seats are comfortable and easy on my back.

Visibility is excellent.

Awesome radio/CD unit.

The manual transmission gearing could be a little better... too close in 1 - 4 gear.

Review Date: 14th May, 2005

25th May 2005, 17:28

I love my 2004 Ford Ranger Edge 4x4 even more than a new Lincoln truck. From the race-style seats to the high powered 4.0L engine the truck gets an A+ in my opinion. My truck can even tow over its factory limit with no problem. Ford has made another great truck.

2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0liter from North America

Summary:

I love it

This vehicle has performed very well and is still as quiet and tight as day one.

General Comments:

This vehicle although it is choppy on rough roads due to the short wheel base, I have found that the quality of the seats take care of that with little problem.

Lots of power when needed and will smoke the tires if you have a heavy foot. this is a very well built truck and when serviced properly will give someone very little problems over the life of the vehicle.

Review Date: 9th April, 2005

2004 Ford Ranger FX3 from North America

Summary:

I love it

No problems with this truck at this time.

General Comments:

Drives well, handles great, ride just a little stiff when truck is empty. Rides great with a load.

Review Date: 28th February, 2005

2004 Ford Ranger EDGE 4.0 V6 from North America

Summary:

Fast reliable and does great on double lane stoplights!

Nothing.

General Comments:

I love my truck. It is the 4 door model. The highest up ranger other than the thunder. The 4.0 L v-6 is the biggest engine they put in the ranger. I got the 4 by 4. Got the biggest wheels 17 inch. Got the highest up stereo too. The one with cd player and tape player. Got the hard fiberglass lid to go over the bed. It is also very fast and can get me out of tight situations in a hurry. I got a cool color too. It is a florescent blue. It looks blue in the shade, but when you pull it into the light it looks purple. Got the flomaster exhaust system on it.

Review Date: 29th January, 2005

10th Nov 2009, 23:16

This is so old, but I feel I have to comment 4 years later. My friend showed me this. Oh man. All I have to say is... and it's still just a Ranger. Nice buddy.