2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 Liter Gas from North America

Good Truck, Great Price, Awesome Engine

The knob for the lights stripped and was 20 dollars for the replacement part.

Some rattles come from around the rear window and are quite annoying.

General Comments:

The truck has a lot of power and really pulls hard. The engine is by far the best thing on this truck. Gobs and gobs of torque from a little truck. My buddy has an S10 with the 4.3 liter Vortech and the ford absolutley kills that engine.

It rides really rough, but it's a truck so what do you expect.

Some of the interior pieces are pretty cheap.

The sound system is great for a bottom of the barrel system.

It is more quiet then I expected, but you can tell the integrity is not up to par with some other cars because the wind noise is slowly getting louder and louder.

Overall a really great bargain for a good little truck.

Review Date: 9th December, 2004

1st Jul 2005, 01:35

I Recently bought a 2003 ford ranger XLT super cab. When I bought it it had 4500 miles on it. I have had the truck for a little while now and I have absolutely no complaints about this vehicle. You get what you pay for. The truck is quick, powerful, and girls seem to love a young guy with a nice truck. I only with it had more storage space like the Tacomas. Overall a nice truck.

2004 Ford Ranger XLT 2.3 from North America

Buy something else

Pre-ignition. Oh, did I mention pre-ignition. My 2.3 liter 2004 XLT Ranger pings just like the 2.3 liter 1991 Ranger I had before it. I have to use premium gasoline even though the owner's manual says 87 octane is fine. WRONG! WRONG! WRONG! On warm days the thing pings like a pinball machine if it is not filled with 92 octane. I do not know how I let myself get talked into another Ranger. I guess figured after 13 years Ford should have fixed the problem. But NO. Now I am stuck with paying extra for premium gas. Next time I will pay the additional "gas money" up front and get another brand truck: one that really runs on regular gas.

On another note, the 2004 Ranger has blind spots that were not present in my 1991. The seats, for one, are higher in the back and make it harder to look back when you turn your head while parking, etc. Additionally, the rear pillars seem to be wider on my 2004 regular cab than on my 1991 regular cab. Or, perhaps the rear view mirrors are in a slightly different location. Either way, my ability to see vehicles coming up from behind in the lane next to the driver has been reduced.

Review Date: 19th August, 2004

25th Oct 2004, 12:54

I have a 1987 ford ranger i'ts the best I ever had. I plow with, but I have a problem with the right front brake locking up. Ihave 63000 on it. any ideas. Someone told it was the brake line. I say it's the calaper. Idon't know john.

30th Oct 2004, 22:24

I have a 2004 Ford Ranger XLT and it's been in the shop 4 times in it's first 3600 miles because of a miss around 40 mph. The dealer told me today that the torque converter pulses at that speed, it's a characteristic of the vehicle, and all Rangers do it, including the 2005s. My highway gas mileage is 17 mpg, and that's with me using cruise control and trying to get the best I can. I really have trouble believing that this is a widespread problem. Does anyone else have the same "characteristic" in their Ranger; and if so what did you do to fix it?

2004 Ford Ranger Thunder 2.5TD 4-door 2.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Awesome truck

No problems to report. I've only had it one month.

General Comments:

I'm really thrilled with my purchase. This truck is a 4-door Double Cab with a 2.5 litre turbo diesel engine that is proving to be really good on fuel.

It looks totally amazing in black and silver. The Thunder is a special edition and comes with air conditioning and leather trim. Loads of room for the family and tons of space in the bed.

Performance is pretty good. The torquey diesel engine pulls well up hills. The fuel economy is the best bit though.

All in all a great looking and really practical vehicle.

Review Date: 1st May, 2004

5th Jun 2004, 11:38

Had drove 2.5 turbo diesel Ranger in Malaysia for 3 years and had done more than 85,000km. The fuel gauge is not accurate and hit empty when there is still about 6-8 litres the tank.

But I'm confident it could run more than 650km on a full tank of 70 litres. I always fill up the tank and then reset the trip meter to zero. And only goes to fill it up again when the trip meter shows more than 650km. Each fill-up would be around 60-65 litres.

Based on detailed records kept for each trip and diesel consumption; it is about 10.5 to 11.5 km per litre, depending on urban or long distance country drives.

Every economical to run as a litre of diesel in Malaysia is RM 0.78; while petrol is RM 1.48.

16th Jan 2006, 23:30

Could ya send some across the pond please. I'd like a ranger with a diesel.

15th Jul 2007, 17:37

Mechanical fuel pump? For real? Sounds too unrefined, America wouldn't go for it. Oh wait, people still buy Hyundais..

23rd Oct 2011, 12:41

That is why Hyundai is the 6th most reliable car manufacturer according to Consumer Reports research and subscribers surveys; people who actually own them. People are buying Hyundais because they are good vehicles, period. If they were crap, the company would be out of business by now.