2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0L V6 from North America

Not too big, not too small, it's a great truck

Front tires needed to be rebalanced after I bought the truck. The tires were put on brand new before I bought the truck, and the warranty covered it for free.

Slight pull to the left at highway speeds, fixed free along with the tires.

General Comments:

I love this truck! It had 66000 miles on it when I bought it, but it rides and drives like new.

The 4.0L engine provides plenty of power. Even with the automatic transmission, acceleration is very good. It'll respond quickly in a tight situation and doesn't breath hard on the highway. The horsepower and torque numbers are so close to most small V8 engines in full size pickups, and it gets a lot better gas mileage. 17 to 18mpg around town and a nice 21mpg highway. Those numbers help out especially with the price of gas. However a lead foot will make those numbers drop, but that should be expected.

This truck handles great and rides nice for a pickup. The step side bed has plenty of room and isn't so long you can't maneuver into a regular parking space. Visibility out the rear side windows is excellent.

The extended cab has enough room for small objects, but the rear seats are very small and I usually don't let anybody ride back there mainly due to the lack of 4 doors, but I didn't buy this truck to haul people around. If that's your objective, buy a minivan not a truck.

The seats are comfortable, the air conditioning gets cold fast and works well, and power everything is a nice feature.

The sound system is one of the best stock systems I've heard, I replaced the rear speakers with Jensen 6x8's, they fit right in the stock mounting location. There was nothing wrong with the stock speakers, they were just a little weak. The stock CD player doesn't skip and works great.

Review Date: 27th August, 2007

13th Apr 2008, 17:46

R.I.P little Ranger...

I got into an accident with this truck and it resulted in a rollover. I walked away without a scratch, but my truck is totalled. I thank God for being alive to write this and it's unfortunate this happened. As much as we love our vehicles, in the end they can be replaced. People can't. Now it's time to start over with a new ranger. I plan on purchasing a new FX4 model. This isn't going to stop my love for trucks because I believe I would have been worse off if I was driving a small car. I can't end my farewell to my baby without telling the world to be safe out there. Have fun, but be safe.

11th Jul 2008, 14:55

I have had nothing but great experiences with my 'Little Red Truck'. I have always wanted a new PU, and finally got one. It handles great, I love all the features, air, power windows, door locks all the good stuff. I went on a 3,500 mile trip, one way by myself, and experienced absolutely no problems. Including snow over a mountain passes. I do keep my PU well maintained. For those that complain, take care of the vehicle, it will take care of you! Good maintenance is the key!

If you don't do it, don't cry! I am so pleased, thank you Ford!

4th Aug 2010, 15:06

Great truck so far. Gets about 17 MPG city, 21 to 22 MPG highway. I have driven it on 2 roadtrips already on hilly roads. 43,000 miles on it and no problems. The undercarriage is rusty, but no performance issues. The A/C is truly amazing. Within 1 minute at max settings, my cab is nice and cool. The gas mileage doesn't seem too affected by it either.

I got into a small fender bender with it and a sedan, and the only damage it received was a scratch on the rear hubcap. This truck is tough and dependable. If saving on gas is a priority though, then get a sedan, because this one gets about average for a vehicle, but it is still great for how much power you get in return.

2004 Ford Ranger XLT 4.0 V6 from North America

A small truck that can play with the big boys!

The only thing that ever happened to me in this truck was that it got stuck in 4x4 low for a couple of weeks. I didn't drive it much cause of that, but one day it just came right out. Other than that it was a great truck.

General Comments:

This was a great truck. I had it for about 7 months and I loved it. it had power and a great 4x4. it all ways started. I would recommend this truck to everybody. the reason I don't have it anymore was that I rolled it. the only reason it rolled was cause of the trailer I was pulling. I was moving home driving in white out conditions in Montana and I went off of a 15 ft. drop off into a creek. the truck kept me very safe. I walked away with nothing more than a scratch. that truck was pulling a trailer and all my stuff, even my motorcycle in the box and it was going up and down the Montana mountains with 8 inches of snow on them with no problems. well until I could no longer see the road.

Review Date: 22nd February, 2007

23rd Feb 2007, 20:54

Interesting about the sticking in low range. I had this happen to one of mine once when I drove thru water that was so deep it came over the bottom of the doors. Like yours, it "fixed itself", so I assume in my case it had something to do with the water maybe.