1999 Ford Taurus SE Overhead 6 Cylinder from North America

The worst car I've ever bought. Period

The heater went bad the second week of ownership, replaced the heating core twice, had the radiator flushed, and has had other work done on the heater all with no results.

The dome lights stopped working, which made night driving a nuisance. The car has multiple faulty door censors.

The airbag light flashes on and off constantly, and has been checked out but it still flashes.

The center console broke off out of nowhere thanks to Ford's high quality parts.

Brakes have been replaced numerous times and are still bad.

Belts started squeaking at 80,000 miles, and had to be replaced.

General Comments:

This car is quite honestly the worst automotive buy I've ever made. The parts in it are cheap and it's just a money pit. The car sucks up gas and needs constant maintenance. Even my 15 year old son refuses to drive it because of all the problems it has. Ford has seriously made one of the worst autos I have ever come across. This car is a cheap lemon. Buyers Beware.

Review Date: 1st May, 2008

1999 Ford Taurus LX 3.0L (Vulcan) from North America

All-around a very good car

Cruise control did not work from the outset, fixed easily by dealer.

Had to replace rear brake cylinders twice: 60k and 90k.

Rebuilt transmission at 130k.

Engine prone to pinging ever since it was new.

Accident at 3000 miles, was rear-ended, other car totaled, but only the muffler hanger broke on the Taurus!

General Comments:

Comfy and generally very reliable car. Very safe, built solid. Consistently achieved 30+ MPG on the highway, even with 145k miles on the odometer.

Review Date: 1st May, 2008

1999 Ford Taurus LX from North America

Not all I expected it to be

When I first bought the car used, I contacted Ford to ask if there was a recall since the drivers seatbelt didn't always secure properly.. Their response, that they had no complaints such as mine to date.

Other than that, I still thought it was a great car, very dependable up until about 6 weeks ago.

We had to replace the alternator, next it seemed as if the battery wasn't getting good connection, so with that problem also being addressed, now here's the big problem. Once started, it runs fine, trouble is when you turn the key to start it, nothing happens, not even the dash lights coming on, but if you keeping turning the key from off to start over and over again, eventually it starts.

Now I'm worried. Do I need to worry about an electrical fire or a major repair that I can't afford? Our vehicle before this was a 95 Ford Taurus that never gave us a moment's worry until it was totaled in a wreck; even the engine ran like new with over 240,000 miles on it.

Up until now, I thought this Taurus would live up to our expectations. Anyone know who or where I should turn for answers?

Thanks, Mrs. Melda Patrick.

Review Date: 18th April, 2008

10th Feb 2010, 23:52

I don't know if you will ever see this comment, but I'm pretty sure that your issue with the starting is your battery terminals or your starter. More likely the terminals. Just clean them off with a wire brush and apply some lubricant to them. This should stop the problem.

1999 Ford Taurus SE Wagon 3.0L 12 V from North America

Good solid car, that will be hard to replace

Front bushings at 269000 km

Transmission rebuilt at 320,000 km

Transmission replaced at 325,000km

Steering rack and power steering pump replaced at 362000km

A/C failed at 375,000km

Rear Calipers at 375,000km.

General Comments:

I bought this wagon to replace a 1989 Pontiac 6000 Safari Wagon. It had high mileage and I paid half the average price for similar cars at the time. Paid cash, no car payments. I immediately had front bearings and all brakes done.

The switch assembly on the steering wheel was wonky and the wipers came on at random. Paid $90 for new part and replaced myself.

Speed sensor failed and the instruments and cruise control would cut out at random. Took the car to a specialty electrical shop and they fixed it immediately. Still working fine.

The transmission started failing around 320,000km. The 4th gear would not engage. Had the transmission rebuilt and 4th failed again. The independent shop replaced the transmission with a factory rebuilt. The tech told me a hole for the fourth gear shaft had enlarged and leaked so pressure could not build up or something. In all it cost me $2600.

I wasn't concerned about the transmission replacement because of the car's high mileage. The replacement unit is still doing fine.

Steering rack and PS pump failed at 362,000km out in the boonies, but I was driving on the highway so I kept going. Had the PS oil purged earlier and it was really grungy. The failure was not unexpected. After the repair, the pump kept sucking air into the system. Talked to mechanic and he bent the intake pipe down to be below the fill level and the problem is solved. Cost $1600.

A/C failed and would cost $1300 to fix. Still debating whether I'll have it done.

I love this car, there have not been any problems with the base engine. It is powerful enough to run at 160km/h on the highway. When driven carefully, I can go 700 km on a tankful of gas. That's more than Going from an hour north of Toronto to 30-45 minutes east of Montreal non-stop.

Too bad domestic manufacturers don't make station wagons anymore. My other car is a Volvo 945 with 410000km and I'm not sure if I'll buy another used Taurus wagon or a Volvo V70.

Both dealerships in my town have serviced the car and have been very professional, considerate, helpful and competitive with the independents.

The car now has 394,000km (250,000 miles) and I expect to keep it to half a million.

Review Date: 8th April, 2008

7th May 2008, 20:04

This car is trouble. Just look at all the Technical Service Bulletins. My wife bought a used 1999 Taurus wagon and nothing but trouble after 70,000 miles. It's been a year of hell. Cost for year =$2,000.00+. Buyer Beware! Major Lemon.

8th May 2008, 09:02

I totally disagree with the previous comments, if these cars are well maintained and taken care of, they are great cars. I bought a 1998 ford Taurus three years ago, right before I started college. IT had 90,000 miles on it, it has 140,000 miles know. THe only things I have had to replace is brakes and tires. This car has gone well beyond my expectations. IT was a one owner, I had the whole maintance record on it also when I bought it. I will for sure buy another Taurus after this one.