2003 Ford Taurus Reviews - Page 5 of 5

2003 Ford Taurus SEL Duratec 24v V6 from North America

Engine and transmission Duratec 24v V6 Automatic
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

An outstanding vehicle in every category and an excellent value

I had to replace the radio receiver, it was not broken, but the stock unit was unable to pick up the radio station that I listen to. In fairness, the station that I listen to is far away and thus has a very weak signal.

General Comments:

I am generally very impressed with the Taurus. I had been driving a sporty car (Mustang), but with a young child I needed to get a sedan. The idea of getting a Sedan was not something which I looked forward to. My opinions are changed after having owned this car for a while.

The interior is roomier than any other car I looked at in my comparison shopping. The seating is luxurious and comfortable. The controls are within easy reach of the driver and are clearly labeled and/or shaped so that I can make adjustments without taking my eyes off of the road. I am mildly disappointed that the audio and ventilation controls are housed in a single unit, making an upgrade to the stock stereo somewhat less attractive. The road feel is not as mushy as other sedans that I tested. It is not as agile as my old Mustang, but that is understood since it is a different car.

The Duratec V6 has plenty of power. I do notice a very slight hesitation when I push the accelerator hard. The tachometer rises immediately, but it seems like there is a slight delay until I feel the push of power. This is likely because I am used to driving sports car. I wish the fuel economy were a little better (I get about 24 MPG). Most of my driving is stop and go, so I guess that is not so bad. I have not really taken a long trip with this car; I am guessing that the highway miles would be much better.

Maintenance with this vehicle is easy. At this point, I have only had to do routine things like change the oil, check the air filter, etc. I have had no problems with the vehicle at all; it is just as reliable as my previous Ford.

I am still amazed by the value of this car; it is truly a diamond in the rough. Other vehicles in this category cost much more and offer fewer amenities. My Taurus has every available option, save the auto-dimming mirror and wood trimmed dash. I still feel like I cheated someone to get such a beautiful car for such an inexpensive price. This car is an amazing bargain, it is the perfect family sedan, yet I can get into the accelerator and have some fun on the open road when I am by myself.

I will enjoy this car for many years to come. I know that Ford plans to phase out the Taurus in favor of the new Ford 500. I can only hope that the 500 can fill the shoes of its predecessor.

Review Date: 30th June, 2004

2003 Ford Taurus LX 3.0 from North America

Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

All around Value that Can't be Beat

Turn signal broke as a result of road rage, dealer repaired, no questions, no problems.

General Comments:

My last Taurus was a 2000 model that I had to have when they changed body styles. I ordered one and loved it until the day I killed it after hitting a telephone pole and tractor trailer at 60 mph. All to pick up a call on the cell phone. I still managed to open the door and walk out.

Although my first Taurus was a fully loaded model, my replacement Taurus (paid for) is an LX with quite a lot of amenities. Cruise, power windows, locks, CD changer, etc. Only thing missing from the first Taurus is lumbar support, lighted visor mirrors, and fold down rear seat backs, and a payment.

I will say that 2003 got rid of the annoying things that bothered me about the 2000. I.E., fit and finish, road and wind noise.

Now I have the perfect 4dr sedan. Last trip from Atlanta to Dallas and back was 33 mpg. Smiled the whole trip with $1.97 per gallon gas prices. And remained perfectly comfortable the entire time.

A friend of mine, who is as dedicated to Mitsubishi Eclipses' as I am to Fords drove my car and commented how tight and precise it was, especially for a sedan.

I know when I hit my mid-life crisis I will purchase a Mustang, but for the time being, I appreciate the reliability, low cost ownership/maintenance of my Taurus.

I highly recommend this vehicle, especially for the budget minded consumer who believes in buying American.

Review Date: 18th June, 2004

2003 Ford Taurus SEL Centennial Edition 3.0L Duratec from North America

Engine and transmission 3.0L Duratec Automatic
Previous carFord Taurus

Summary:

Great value for the price - lots of ammenities

-Fluttering noise in front left quarter panel. (Dealer has been unable to fix).

-Brake rotors have warped twice in 3000 miles.

-Vibrations at highway speeds. (Tire Balancing)

-Grinding sound on acceleration from highway speed (was a fault in the Traction Control system).

General Comments:

The 2003 Taurus SEL Centennial is a great looking car. It also drives and performs extremely well for a car in its proce class. The interior is very well appointed with lots of (fake) wood and leather. I'm really impressed with this Taurus. It is my 5th Taurus - so I guess I like them. However, in virtually every model year I've owned (1989, 1990, 1994, 2001, 2003) I've had issues with vibrations, noises and brake rotors. The Taurus comes in under the price point of Camry's and Accords though - so it is a small price to pay for what is otherwise a very nice car for the money.

Review Date: 1st October, 2003

6th Apr 2004, 10:40

Warped rotors are not nessarily the cars fault, over tightning of wheel lug nuts is major cause of this problem. I know because I have experienced this. A torque wrench set at appropriate poundage will eliminate warped rotors.

8th Jul 2004, 08:54

I purchased one also, that fluttering noise is the lining in the front quarter panel, I just got mine repaired FINALLY on 7/7/04 after no one hearing it or finding the problem. I barked up the right tree this time. Have them check that area, it's a KNOWN FACT that the repair techs don't get paid as much for warranty work.