2002 GMC Envoy Reviews - Page 2 of 3

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2001
Engine and transmission 4.2 I6 Automatic
Previous carChrysler Sebring Sedan

Summary:

Beyond Awesome

Load leveling compressor, front axle seals (both sides), half shaft, wiper motor (after recall was performed), memory module for power seats/mirrors.

General Comments:

I love my 2002 Envoy SLT. I will never get rid of it unless it gets stolen or totalled. It has every imaginable option GMC could cram into a SUV including load leveling suspension, headlamp washers, RainSense wipers, OnStar, etc. My 2002 SLT also has heated leather, running boards, and the 6 Disc BOSE stereo of which I yanked out and installed a GM Navigation stereo (yes it will work - very easy upgrade). Everybody that has driven in my Envoy always compliments the quiet smooth ride. The 4.2 I6 is simply amazing producing 270hp and 270ft-lbs torque, which most people don't understand - is AMAZING for an I6 engine. Heck, I think Chryslers 4.7L V8 only puts out 265hp or something like that and here GMC produces and Inline 6 engine that beats most all competitors V8's! I'm not going to complain about gas mileage - it is what it is. It's a SUV. If you want good MPG get a hybrid SUV or go buy a Chevy Aveo. Stop complaining about it. The Envoy is a pretty heavy SUV, it tows awesome. I can tow my 6500lb boat and trailer and after the load leveling suspension pumps up, you'd never know you were towing anything.

Review Date: 8th April, 2007

16th Sep 2012, 02:27

Just updating my review from April 2007.

The Envoy was a total maintenance hog from 2008-2012. I sold it this past Thursday (9-13-12) and bought a 2007 Prius Level 5. Talk about doing a 180!! Ha ha.

Went from 15 MPG to 50MPG. So far I'm not missing the Envoy much

I have to say that I clocked 162,000 miles on the Envoy, and it never broke down. It just broke constantly... LOL... never enough to leave me stranded, but enough to always keep me poor.

The final straw was the fuel gauge stopped working last month, then the power steering lines started leaking. I had already spent $9000 in parts alone (I keep an Excel sheet) over 8 years of ownership, NOT including insurance, gas, car payments for the first 5 years, etc. I wasn't about to sink another penny into that pig.

18th Sep 2012, 17:44

We are so pleased with our 2003 Envoy that my wife has turned down my offer to buy her a new SUV. In 10 years it has been nothing less than perfect. It now has considerably over 100,000 miles on it with not one single repair. Not even a tune-up yet. It even has the original brake pads. In ten years our sole expense has been for one set of tires and two batteries. Due to the greater safety of the body-on-frame truck-based design, we feel justified in keeping it another 100,000 miles, even if it does require a minor repair at some point.

2002 GMC Envoy LX IL-6 from North America

Model year2002
Year of manufacture2000
Engine and transmission IL-6 Automatic
Previous carGMC Jimmy

Summary:

GM will not stand behind their products and have no control over their dealers

General Comments:

I have a 2002 Envoy XL that I purchased new on 15 April 2002.

I had electrical problems from the get go.

The one problem that GM would not entertain about fixing was one of the vent valves under the dash. I blame the dealer as much as GM. The valve makes a clicking noise every time the A/C cycles on and off.

The second is the fan clutch. My engine light has not come on, but the fan really makes a lot of noise. So I unplugged the wires going to the fan, engine light still didn't come on.

I found a replacement for the fan on the net for $159.03 part no. 15293048 with no delivery fee.

I have owned GMC since 1967; I guess around 20 different trucks and SUV's, I am truly dissatisfied with GM. My next will be Japanese.

Review Date: 31st March, 2006

31st Mar 2006, 15:20

Just another lost customer and reason GM is sliding further down the slope towards disaster. I truly hope the company turns things around, there are far too many people employed for it to go bankrupt. The 2007 Tahoe seems to be a step in the right direction.

16th Jun 2006, 23:31

Our family has owned a number of SUV's, including Toyota, Ford, and Chevy. In 2003 we bought our 2003 Envoy and it is without doubt the best SUV we've ever owned. In over 39,000 miles it has never required anything other than oil changes. It is smooth, solid, MUCH more powerful than any of our previous SUV's, and has thus far been the most dependable vehicle we have owned with the possible exception of my Dodge Omni, which went 240,000 miles with practically no repairs at all.