1999 Holden Vectra Reviews - Page 2 of 6

Most recent year of ownership2011
Engine and transmission Manual
Distance when acquired199000 kilometres
Previous carSeat Cordoba

Summary:

If I knew then what I know now...!!!

The car has since last year, several times had the engine cut out whilst driving at 60-70km hour in traffic, which is extremely frightening and deadly. No acceleration, and no steering. I have had the car serviced regularly, and the mechanic cannot find the problem!!!

The coolant hose system split, dumping a complete reservoir of coolant all throughout the engine, and immediate overheating of the engine, requiring the full main coolant hose system to be replaced. Coolant hose system they call 'an octopus'. Complete removal of the engine is required to remove, replace and fit the hose system. Hose unit itself costs over $650. All up, including labour, almost $1,000.

Remote central locking no longer works, so use the key, however central locking on the rear doors is also intermittent if at all.

General Comments:

With no accountability being acknowledged by Holden for the engine cut, or recall to replace, or advice to resolve the issue. I am driving a death trap, which I cannot wait to get rid of!!!

Review Date: 12th January, 2011

10th Feb 2011, 06:11

I wouldn't buy another Holden after my old Camira - terrible. Similar story to you. I've now got a Toyota, which is light years ahead.

19th Jan 2012, 22:11

Hello world.

I am dying and crying on every drive, since 3 years I brought Holden Vectra 99 model. By mistake, I got this car without reading blogs forums. Now, yesterday, it broke on a drive and smoke started coming out of it. NRMA came and told me that there was no water and oil.. God knows how it got emptied, as I do get the regular service done.

After taking it to a mechanical shop by NRMA towing service, the mechanic says the engine is cooked and it almost looks like a new engine needs to be replaced, which is going to cost around $5000. I am F*in freaked out with this car.. No words to express.. I have already spent more than what I have purchased it for over 3 years. Dammit... if time could go back 3 years, I would not have taken it for free either... what a crap lemon...

Anyway, can someone suggest to me please where to go from here? My aim is spend the minimum possible to get the car up and running.

Many thanks.

24th Jan 2012, 23:08

Some people have bought these cars, and they have been nothing but trouble. Others have gone on to do hundreds of thousands with little issue at all.

I recommend you get some prices from different auto dismantlers for the engine itself. The price can vary dramatically, depending on the number of kms the engine has completed. Personally I would go as low as possible, but that is more expensive.

All other associated parts for the job should really be purchased brand new.

Good luck mate.

6th Sep 2013, 16:11

I would cut my losses and sell it. I own a Vectra, and within months of purchase I had to have the engine rebuilt. That cost me $3,000. Since then it has had the central locking break down, radio goes on and off as it pleases. Continuous stalling, makes a ticking noise when I drive it, a foul smell coming through the A/C, and a host of other problems. I've had it serviced regularly, yet it has cost me more than I initially paid for it.

At the moment it's sitting in the garage undriveable as it won't start. I took it to the mechanics about the problem and all he did was change the battery. The following morning it wouldn't start at all. Now I don't know whether to take it to a mechanic or auto electrician. It's been sitting in the garage for 4 weeks, and I'm going to get it up and running when I have money saved up and sell it as a "lemon". I will be buying a Toyota next.

1999 Holden Vectra GL 2.2L 4 cylinder from Australia and New Zealand

Model year2000
Year of manufacture1999
First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.2L 4 cylinder Automatic
Previous carHonda Odyssey

Summary:

An absolute crapbox! Stay away!

As my first car, I wasn't expecting much, however no other car that my mates had was anywhere near as crap as this car was.

I literally had it on the road for about 3 months of the 10 months I have owned it.

From the start there was all sorts of problems, but none that really stood out to me, so that I would be like 'well lets sell it'. Minor oil leak, slight water coolant leak, loose rear alternator bearings etc.

But then, about 2 months later, when everything was fine, my car started shaking, and when I drove it home, it never started again.

Blown head gasket at 147 000 kms.

General Comments:

When the car actually drives, it's great, it goes hard and it feels nice to drive.

But it is the most unreliable car that can ever be bought.

PLEASE don't ever buy one of these cars.

My friend also bought the same car, but the 2.5L 6 cyl version; 2 months later, blown head gasket too.

STAY AWAY!!!

Review Date: 26th April, 2010

3rd Aug 2010, 16:02

I have to agree with you. My 2000 Holden Vectra has cost me nothing but money, and it has a blown head gasket now at 130,000 kms. As you say, fabulous to drive on the road, but always needing something done at service and warranty.

Will not buy another Holden again.

3rd Aug 2010, 23:23

I have one and it has done 253,000 km, no problems.

28th Nov 2010, 21:38

I have a Holden Vectra 1999 2.2 GL.

The alternator has gone on it (1500). Now it has a blown head gasket, another 1500 roughly. But I must say it is wonderful to drive, hence me sending all the money to keep it on the road.

I just love driving it.