1991 Honda Accord LX 2 door 2.2 4 cylinder from North America

Summary:

Honda at its best

When I got the car with 225,000 miles, the following things were wrong with it:

The previous owner wrecked it in a parking lot (minor damage), so I have no grille or hood latch (have to use hood pins) and I had to replace the headlight housings.

A/C broken (turned out to be an O-ring missing, just had to be refilled with refrigerant).

Cruise control didn't work (my right foot does a good enough job).

Power steering pump was gone, my theory being that it was taken out to replace the alternator (the alternator looked new, and the previous owner had a big stereo) and never bothered to put it back on; I bought another pump for it, but the lack of power steering doesn't bother me much (I'm a big guy), and people never try to borrow my car because of it.

The interior door handle broke.

The left rear quarter panel rusted through (southern car), the trunk leaked (fixed with black sealant) and the passenger side power seatbelt doesn't work. Power mirrors also don't work.

Shortly after I got the car, the heater hose blew; the subsequent overheating caused the head gasket to leak. I simply put some Bar's Leaks in the radiator and problem solved (though I do seem to have to add more every oil change or so; I might bother fixing it some day).

233,000 miles: the passenger side CV joint is failing; I will have to replace it soon.

General Comments:

This car, while not accelerating like a rocket, (mind you, my parents' cars are a Sentra Spec V and a Mini Cooper S Turbo), is pretty fast on the highway.

I always get a solid 30 MPG per tank.

This car is the easiest stick shift car to drive that I've ever seen; it reminds me of my grandfather's '92 S-10.

The seats are comfortable; the only downside in the interior are the pathetic cupholders (that's what the space between the seat and the parking brake is for, LOL)

The trunk in this car is huge.

Review Date: 16th February, 2009

1991 Honda Accord dx 2.2 from North America

Summary:

A great value in basic transportation

Automatic seatbelts intermittently fail to come on. exhaust system rusted out (after 15 years) CV joint boots rotted out (after 15 years) Paint job is beginning to fade (after 17 years in the florida sun)

General Comments:

Unbelievably reliable. very economical. very easy to find spare parts.

Review Date: 28th June, 2007

1991 Honda Accord LX 2.2 liter gas from North America

Summary:

Reliable to the bone

EGR vacuum solenoid problem at around 200K miles, Needed new exhaust system at around 240K miles, needed outer CV boots at 250K miles, and a valve cover gasket at 260K miles. Not bad at all for the amount of miles it has went.

General Comments:

I bought this car for my wife with 167,000 miles after we were sorely disappointed by our Ford Windstar, we've driven the wheels off of it and it keeps on going and going. It is roomy and comfortable, has a lots of get up and go and handles excellent.

Review Date: 24th April, 2007

1991 Honda Accord SE 2.2L from North America

Summary:

Reliability/Durability overrated for every component of the car other than the engine

Automatic Transmission replaced @ ~170K ($1200)

CV axles replaced @ 175k, both needed to be replaced again by 200K ($200 * 4 = $800)

Entire front suspension other than shocks and struts, which are currently starting to go, replaced between 180k and 200k ($1600)

2 out of 4 calipers, all four rotors, and all four sets of pads replaced between 180K and 195K ($1100)

Two out of four power windows non-functional, one window has 1/2 inch gap from seal when fully raised, other is very weak and slow.

Repeated, trivial brake light problems.

Entire exhaust replaced between 180K and 200K ($600)

Battery replaced @ 167K.

No matter how many times car is aligned, it pulls noticeably to one side or the other.

ABS non-functional, estimated cost of repair $1200.

Brakes ephemerally pulse, and always have.

Car shimmies between 50-60 mph (started around 190K).

Paint is fading.

General Comments:

They say Hondas run forever. They do. However, despite their resplendent motors, beware being nickeled and dimed by these great cars when they get higher mileage.

I had a civic before this, bought when it was 5 years old with 67K. By the time I got rid of it at ~210K, there was nothing other than the motor worth anything on that car. Most of the problems (suspension (both steering and ride), clutch, windows off track, paint fading, exhaust, etc., etc., etc.) began around 150K, were addressed, and returned before I got rid of the car. Guess it could be the servicers I was using in for both this and my accord.

Regardless, my accord is still a very comfortable car, and runs better (smoother, less laboriously) now than the 2004 Ford Focus that I had did in 2005.

Also, considering that of the nearly 200K I've put on my Hondas, about 150K of it was in pizza delivery in Chicago suburbs and on a college campus, they both held up well.

That being said, the maintenance of this accord has been outlandish. Bought for 3500, put at least that much into it. Not at all worth it.

Review Date: 26th March, 2007

27th Mar 2007, 05:21

As great as Honda's are, they're still a machine, and machines need maintenance. Since you got the car at 167,000, you probably inherited all of the smaller maintenance issues that were never done before then.

Yeah, I know it's expensive when you have to make all of those repairs in a short period of time, but don't say that it's not worth it.

That car might very well give you another 200,000 miles if you want to keep it. Some people just drive them, don't worry about any maintenance at all, and just unload them when all of the small things start to go wrong due to lack of proper care. Sounds like that's what you have. Don't blame the vehicle.