2004 Honda Accord Type S from South Africa - Comments

2nd Sep 2009, 17:27

"I disagree with you. In the US, Honda is always one of the top resale value manufacture. Good reliability."

I disagree with YOU. If you factor in the outrageous sale price of Hondas, you LOSE more on a Honda in three years than on most domestics. I ran the figures for a friend who was looking for a car last year. Based on purchase price and resale value after 3 years, he was $1500 better off buying a comparably equipped Ford Focus than a Honda Civic. He bought the Focus and loves it.

As for reliability, putting in a new transmission every 30,000 miles on the Honda gets tiresome. Our Honda was retired to a junk yard with less than 100,000 miles on it. A number of our domestics have gone 3 times that far with less than $500 in total repairs.

3rd Sep 2009, 11:27

Worse resale ever for us was. A 2002 Acura TL Type S with 40000 miles. We got less than a third of price new. We had trans replacements that hurt us at resale time, showing them on Carfax issues. Took a beating, pretty black and garage kept, but it showed on the Carfax report

4th Sep 2009, 11:21

Resale values are highly subjective. If you sell a vehicle yourself, you always come out far better than the ridiculous wholesale prices offered by dealers. Dealers give virtually nothing regardless of what you are trading. Our best return on a vehicle was an absolutely immaculate Dodge truck that was sold after 5 years for 90% of the original purchase price. The worst was a Honda.

7th Dec 2009, 03:45

To all people WHO are interested in Honda, the Accord is yes a very good car (also to drive).

Of course the main German cars are good to drive too, but service is yes more expensive.

Overall, things are breaking down (specially electrical) much more and almost everyone drives German. Here in the Netherlands (& Europe) Honda is just more exclusive.

So do buy German cars (Audi, BMW, Mercedes) as much if you can!!

Only if you don't care to much, your neighbour drives one too.

Buy a Honda Accord if you want a more exclusive drive with a comfort Japan feel.

Greetings:

A Honda Accord Type-S driver.

11th Apr 2010, 16:04

Yes, you will lose more over three years if you buy a Honda instead of German cars, but that curve changes over 5 years.

The Accord can be driven years beyond its service plan without major costs, where German cars (generally) become uneconomical after the maintenance plan expires.

Mine has 150000km, driven very hard, no technical issues. Comfortable, slightly sporty suspension, reliable engine. A bit boring, but aftermarket options are available if the performance bothers you.

15th Jan 2012, 19:13

A Ford Focus!!! Those cars are junk and they have absolutely NO RESALE VALUE. Basically every Enterprise Rental lot has about 10 Focus's ready to be rented out, next to the 25 Chevy Impalas! American cars have basically NO RESALE value, except for the Ford Fusion Hybrid and the Chevy Suburban/GMC Yukon/Chevy Tahoe family.

A 1999 Honda Accord purchased new at $25,000 loaded will still sell 10 years later with 150,000 miles on it for AT LEAST $5,000. A 1999 Chevy Malibu purchased new at $25,000 loaded will sell for, at most, $1,500 10 years later with 150,000 miles on it. That's if you can even find someone to buy that hunk of junk. That's saying that the Malibu is actually still running. Hondas that have 150,000 miles on the clock still have WAY more than half of their life left in them. Hondas and BMW's have the highest resale value of any car on the road today. American cars can't even compare, which is why I don't know why people even try. I'm not saying American cars are bad cars, they just don't hold their value nearly as good as a Honda.

17th Apr 2014, 23:06

In New Zealand Honda Accords are relatively cheap. They might not have the best resale return, but that means a near new car with all the gadgets/comfort/reliability is so affordable and beats the rest. If I were to buy new, my intentions would be to hold onto it for as long as possible.

18th Apr 2014, 11:06

My worse resale was my 2002 Acura TL Type S. Got 10k for it 3 years later with 40k miles on it. Carfax did me in with the 2 trans replacements. The car was mint and garaged otherwise.

19th Apr 2014, 10:46

The dealer offered less than my private sale. The Carfax report, even when under warranty, is always there to haunt a seller. That was my worst resale ever on a car I bought new with still relatively low miles. Live and learn.

Add another comment