2001 Honda CR-V Reviews - Page 5 of 6

2001 Honda CR-V EX 2.0L from North America

Engine and transmission 2.0L Automatic
Previous carSaturn SL

Summary:

Very reliable and handy

There have been *no* issues with the car. I had the dealer replace the rear "dual pump fluid" for the rear end at 72K miles. Other than changing the spark plugs (myself - easy to do), it's a trooper. Just gas it up and go. It even has the original brakes!!!

General Comments:

It's not a race car, so don't expect to be the first one off the line. Newer models have more horsepower. The 2001 has adequate power.

The seats are pretty comfortable. They do as good a job on long trips as any car seat I have ridden in. (Let's face it - 8 hours in a car... nothing is comfortable!)

Fold the seats in the rear down and you can get an amazing amount of stuff in the rear. It's not quite a pickup, but close.

I get 25mpg on the freeway. Not bad.

Perhaps it's not the quietest vehicle on the road in the cabin. Engine noise gets prominent over 65 mph. Road noise is always present.

Handling is more like a car than a truck. Some body lean in corners, but considering it's an SUV, it's very responsive. Bumps are more likely to be heard than felt. In general, the response is very predictable. Moderate under-steer at the beginning of corners, progressing to over-steer near the limit of cornering.

Review Date: 30th April, 2004

2001 Honda CR-V LX 2.0 from North America

Most recent distance42000 kilometres
Previous carGeo Metro

Summary:

Comfortable and reliable

The brakes needed adjusting on one occasion, done by the dealer for less than $20.

General Comments:

The only complaint would be that this vehicle could use a little more power, but I see that this was addressed in the 2002 model year. The power is adequate, however, to meet the needs of the average driver and passing on the highway is not a scary task by any means.

Our CR-V is comfortable, starts readily in extremely hot and cold weather, and the all wheel drive and ABS are excellent in the snow.

Although a little high in price, as most sport utility vehicles are, the quality and comfort makes it money well spent. We are very satisfied Honda owners who would highly recommend the CR-V.

Review Date: 23rd February, 2004

4th Jul 2004, 08:20

I thought AWD and ABS were only available in the EX version?

14th Jul 2004, 23:25

ABS is indeed only available in the EX version. There are two different LX versions; one is a bare-bones non-AWD version and the other has AWD. This is true for both the 1st generation CR-V as well as the 2nd generation.

19th Aug 2012, 15:53

My wife and I have a 2001 SE model, and it has ABS also.

2001 Honda CR-V LX from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Previous carDatsun Datsun

Summary:

It is very reliable

General Comments:

This vehicle is very reliable and fairly comfortable for four people. The dealer I went to was very friendly, and I bought the vehicle from him at retail price using a price list from a reliable website. He had a choice to either sell it to me using that price or I would buy off the INTERNET, so using this method there was absolutely no negotiating.

The only major complaint I have about the CR-V is the cup holders. They are the worst I have ever seen! They are completely useless unless you are driving on an even surface in a straight line, otherwise your drink will fall over.

Review Date: 7th January, 2003

2001 Honda CR-V LX 2.0 gas from North America

Most recent year of ownership2002
Engine and transmission 2.0 gas Automatic
Previous carHonda Accord

Summary:

OK if you're a woman who doesn't want power, but needs many improvements

The engine is so small that it often doesn't shift when traveling at speeds over 45 miles per hour. Other than that, no mechanical problems...yet. I haven't even had it for a year.

General Comments:

Although I am fond of the neat little features in this car such as the fold away picnic table & many intelligently placed cupholders, this vehicle definitely should not have a four cylinder engine. It is way too small to be put in a "sport utility vehicle."

I don't really think it's a sport utility vehicle. Yes it does have high ground clearance & a spare tire on the back, but it doesn't really have four wheel drive. It says it does, but there is no way to engage it. In my Bronco, I had a shifter. In my Explorer I had a push-button. But there is no way to engage the "four wheel drive."

The gas mileage isn't as good as it is said to be. It gets around 25 miles per gallon. For the size of the dinky engine, it should get better.

It's kind of goofy looking with the long, high-placed taillights & the ugly wheels they put on there. It is definitely a woman's vehicle, not a man's.

There is no reason I can see that they didn't put a V-6 in there. It would be a huge improvement & would make my opinion of the vehicle so much better. It is so hard to merge on the parkway with no power, especially with an automatic.

There is too much plastic on the vehicle. Why doesn't anyone like steel anymore? Steel bumpers are the best & last a long time. They also make the vehicle look 10 times better.

Honda cheaps out on tires & rims. Yes, at least there aren't hubcaps, they are real rims, but they are ugly & they put very cheap tires on there. I could get better ones for 4 for $100 at Pep Boys.

I like sitting up high & the ground clearance is good, but the wheelbase needs to be longer because I always feel like I am going to tip over when I take even the littlest corner.

I don't like the shifter. It is awkward to use & is way to stiff & hard to put into drive.

The radio controls are too far out of reach for the driver & the volume control is way too sensitive.

The rear hatch gets harder to close & open every time, I swear. It's ridiculous.

Honda gives every other CR-V the key fob for the power door locks, except for the LX. What does it cost you, Honda? A few bucks? Come on! Stop being so stingy!

On the other hand, it is a good vehicle to have if you enjoy taking long road trips. The front & back seats are both fairly comfortable. It also has many cup holder & the picnic table, along with a built-in cooler. We got our's with roof racks, which are helpful, but should be standard considering the dealer charges $400 for them.

The vision, I have to say is excellent with all the windows. Every vehicle has a blind spot, but you have great visibility with the CR-V.

Our Honda dealership is the best in the world. I will go back to them no doubt, but a highly doubt I will get a CR-V next time unless they make A LOT of improvements.

Review Date: 7th August, 2002