2004 Honda Element Reviews - Page 2 of 4

Previous cardodge caravan

Summary:

Mediocre, not worth the money

4 wheel drive not functioning, air conditioning does not work.

General Comments:

Poor choice for rough roads, no skid plates, very low ground clearance. 4x4 does not work on mine with 35,000 miles. Air conditioning broke as well.

Review Date: 2nd October, 2007

2004 Honda Element EX 2.4 from North America

Year of manufacture2003
Previous carOldsmobile Achieva

Summary:

Fun, efficient, workhorse

Windshield has taken more than one rock. To all owners out there, you can pick up a windshield patch kit for $10 that will save the glass before it cracks. Paint chips off the front - both issues could be solved by having an air deflector.

Driver's side seat rocks back and forth.

General Comments:

This is a great truck. The cargo area can carry lots of things, including full sheets of drywall at an angle, or a full load of fire wood. The plastic interior does take scuffs and scars, but so far has not broken under any of my abuse.

I utilize this as both transportation and project vehicle for home improvements. I have only had a few issues with the vehicle in 50,000 miles.

Review Date: 26th July, 2006

2004 Honda Element LX from North America

Most recent distance20000 miles
Previous carFord Mustang

Summary:

The perfect all in on city car-truck-thing, that looks like boot.

The Windshield is not very durable. It also eats blades.

Its noisy at high speed.

General Comments:

Very fun car to own. I can carry a washing machine, mulch, Giants TV's, Kayaks, or kids. Its vomit proof too. The optional washable seats are great for the unexpected projectile barf from a child. Or if you have no children your drunk friend in the back seat. Plus when he spills his beer (again), cleanup is a snap.

It handles well, and it fast enough to hold its ground when merging onto the interstate. Its not a race-car, but given the way it handles at high speed, you would not want to race one of these anyways. This car is great for common chores. It can tow a trailor and did okay in the mountains.

Review Date: 6th March, 2006

7th May 2006, 10:20

Hi,

We have a 17 foot Mad River canoe that is very heavy. We are thinking of getting an Element, has anyone carried a canoe on it or had any experiences carrying something heavy on top of it? Please share.

Thanks,

Engine and transmission Don't Know
Previous carHonda Pilot

Summary:

Good even though class action suit

Windshield cracked.

General Comments:

NOTE: A class action suit was filed August 4, 2004, in California Superior Court, Los Angeles County, alleging a design defect in 2003-2004 Honda Element windshields that leads to cracking.

Review Date: 2nd March, 2006

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carToyota RAV4

We are also having problems with the tires. We are on our third set of tires and have 50,000 miles on the car.

We love the Element, it's a great car and fits our active lifestyle (I once put five kayaks in the back) but this tire issue is an expensive annoyance.

Review Date: 2nd January, 2006

2004 Honda Element EX from North America

Engine and transmission Manual
Previous carFord Focus

Summary:

The Element is fun and suited for adventure, but so far has not held up to its namesake

Front struts were faulty.

Computer malfunction causing the engine light to go on.

Ball bearings in the transmission are still being worked on.

General Comments:

I've had three problems with my Element. The engine light was a because the idle was set too high and fell out of parameters of what the "brain" felt acceptable.

The strut in the front was loose. The mechanic at Honda said he has seen that issue before on Pilots and Elements.

The ball bearing in the transmission is a much more complicated. I've had the front axles replaced, the drive shaft and currently the transmission. There is a sound at about 50 miles an hour that occurs only when you ease up on the gas. It's a maddening thing because it's not always there. Thank god the mechanic heard it. My car has been in the shop for two weeks now...

Review Date: 27th July, 2005

Previous carChrysler PT Cruiser

Summary:

Great utility vehicle. Decent mileage and can get big stuff from Home depot

Like many I have had to get one new windshield due to a rock. I had the window replaced by my insurance company preferred show (big mistake I think). following the replacement of the windshield I have had the side molding around the windshield come off. I was wondering if anyone else has had that problem following replacement of windshield.

Review Date: 11th July, 2005

24th Apr 2006, 11:55

Yes I had a similar problem after My Insurance selected windshield guy fixed it. There was a funny whistle coming from what I thought was the tweeter speaker on the drivers side when I drove fast. It bugged me and so I traced the noise back to the loose mounting of the windshield frame exterior plastic cover. I took it back and they mounted it better the next time, problem solved. It has those white injection molded clips to hold it on and sometime they break instead of grab, one had broken loose.

18th Dec 2009, 10:41

Yeah I have to take mine to the dealer... I had the drivers side plastic molding fly off while driving... They replaced it, but it started rattling, so I'm taking it back again today.