2003 Honda Jazz Reviews

First year of ownership2013
Most recent year of ownership2014
Engine and transmission 1.3 petrol Semi-Automatic
Previous carToyota Vitz

Summary:

Punish yourself with a Honda Jazz/Fit. The CVT is the worst

Shock leaking.

CVT shuddering problem.

At cold start, rough idling.

CV joints.

Engine minor oil leak.

Steering boot.

A few other minor things.

General Comments:

My company bought 5 of them for our sales reps, hearing good things about them, and it was a big mistake.

The worst part of the car is the CVT. No one seems to talk about it, but they just live with it. We have a few Fits (imported) and a Jazz in the family, which are mostly owned by elderly people and women who generally look at cars as A-B transport, hence the reviews here don't speak the truth.

Fuel economy fluctuates a lot, the gearbox is terrible, and the car feels like a cheap paper bag.

The Vitz we had before had double the km, but was a lot better in quality if you look at the mechanics.

The intent of buying these was to save fuel and running costs, but it did the opposite.

We have a fleet mechanic on site who looks after all vehicles and services them every 8-10k, so they were maintained well, but the cars are just rubbish. Honda always had a poor reputation of making the worst gearboxes. When I was a teenager, I owned a Honda Civic, an Integra and an Accord - good motors, but all had same issues - the transmission, and it is a major issue as it costs big bucks.

I'm glad we sold them all and went back to Toyota.

On the bright side - huge interior space, good seating position, nice interior.

Review Date: 29th July, 2014

2003 Honda Jazz VTI CVI 1.5L from Australia and New Zealand

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 1.5L Automatic
Previous carFord Laser

Summary:

Fanbloodytastic. Love at first drive

Nothing so far.

General Comments:

Outside small like an ANT, but inside like a cavern.

Fuel economical, but has real zip.

After 20 years with a Ford Laser 1998 model, we have been looking for a reliable small car.

My wife has a sewing machine sales business, and needed to have reliability, economical fuel use, low insurance, automatic transmission, A/C and be also sporty enough for the good husband.

We found that value based a s/h Jazz 46000k 2003 model and serviced by the one dealer (where we bought the car) was what we were looking for.

Christmas Day 2009; we have just completed the yearly trek to our families in a neighbouring town and back with comfort, speed and low fuel use. What more can I say? Only worry is the future reliability, which is why we took out a 3 year extended manufacturer quality warrenty. Expensive, but carefully considered worthwhile.

We are hoping for a long and safe and low cost solution to car travel. For work and pleasure.

Review Date: 25th December, 2009

2003 Honda Jazz 1.4 SE 1.4 from UK and Ireland

Distance when acquired20000 miles
Previous carVolkswagen Golf

Summary:

A very intelligently designed small car.

There have been no faults or breakdowns. The only repairs have been due to bodywork damage, incurred as a result of a cyclist riding his bike into my wife's stationary vehicle.

General Comments:

The car is not particularly quick.

It is comfortable.

The interior space is particularly well designed. It is comfortable for four and at a push five. It has an airy cabin environment.

It is economical on petrol, having always returned over 40mpg. Capable of up to 50 mpg. on a run.

The quality of construction is very impressive.

I have driven various Volkswagens over the past 25 years, including much driving on the continent. In that time I have had no breakdowns on these lengthy continental trips. If the Honda matches those levels of reliability, then I will consider it to have been a very worthwhile purchase.

Review Date: 1st June, 2007

16th Aug 2007, 16:49

I have now owned this car for about 6 months and nothing has gone wrong. I have just returned from a trip round Germany with my wife. In that time I have found it to be a very comfortable and capable performer. Moreover, it has swallowed up all of the luggage which we brought with us from England. It was also used on to transport a large chest on the return journey from Germany. It is 'tardis-like' in terms of its interior space.

8th Feb 2013, 01:27

Would you recommend it to a small family? I have a Meriva, but it's just too big now my boys have no need for buggies any more.