2000 Honda Odyssey EX from North America

Summary:

I would buy another Honda Van

Power steering pump was replaced in 2005. It was making a squealing sound at 90k.

The passenger side sliding door stopped working when someone was trying to open it from inside the car, and I was trying to unlock it from the driver's side.

After removing the fuse for the power door lock, without any success of getting it operating again, I removed fuse #13 for the clock for 30 seconds. BINGO, it worked!!

coxjamesr@bellsouth.net

Review Date: 2nd July, 2006

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 3.5 V tech from North America

Summary:

Transmission Queen

Electrical problems, battery keeps going dead over night.

Transmission problems, van is on third transmission.

Sliding doors seal to the body in hot weather, cannot open them, have even broken door handles trying to get open.

General Comments:

I have owned two domestic mini vans previous to the Odyssey, I took a large loss on both when selling them. I thought a Honda would retain more value over its life, so I bought the Odyssey.

It has been a mediocre vehicle as long as I have owned it. It started having transmission problems at 65,000 kilometres, not shifting at all eventually. I had always had all the service work and oil changes done at our Honda dealer so they replaced the transmission on warranty, I paid the bill for the next Transmission at 130,000 kilometres my self ($3500) and it is on the way out again. I see that there was a recall on the transmissions eventually, but I did not qualify as I had too many kilometres, be prepared to replace transmissions every 60,000-70,000 kilometres.

The sliding doors have been a problem since new, if you spray the rubber seals with silicone every couple of weeks it helps to stop them from sticking.

I have replaced the Battery almost every year that I have owned the van, but that only seems to work for a month or two and the battery starts going dead again, the dealer is unable to find a problem with the electrical system.

Overall I have been disapointed with Van, but the good news is the resale value has remained very high.

Review Date: 25th June, 2006

11th Sep 2007, 20:52

I just took my 2001 EX to the shop for transmission problem.

The first one lasted to 80,000 miles. Now @ 161,000 the second one is failing. The engine has been flawless. 20mpg city and 25 hwy. Not a leak or problem one with it. It's too bad they could only mate a 80,000 mile transmission to it. It definantly was not worth the MSRP they demanded in the showroom. No way will I buy the new one with the 5 speed automatic and "Grade Logic". Sounds like trouble waiting to happen.

12th Jun 2009, 19:06

This van has been very disappointing. It's had 3 transmissions, and 3 motor mounts go bad. This van has 131,000 miles on it, and has been dealership maintained. Honda replaced 2 transmissions, but on the third, I had to pay 25% of the cost. I have a feeling it's starting to go bad again, but I will give Honda some credit of replacing the first two at no cost. As for my 96 Ford Explorer, I've had 2 thermostats go out, and the fuel pump go out. It also has 130,000 miles on it. It's has been a much more reliable vehicle than the "Heralded Honda". No more Honda's for me. Too bad, because I like the Honda Fit.

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 3.5 from North America

Summary:

I love the van

Passenger sliding door was dead.

General Comments:

I heard about pulling fuse #13 and thought yeah right, this would fix a $350 estimated problem I had with the junction switch. To my surprise, pulling the fuse and waiting 30 seconds has fixed my problem.

My props to the person who realized this fix. It save me $350.

Thanks.