2000 Honda Odyssey EX from North America

Summary:

Very disappointed in the mechanical reliability

My 2000 Odyssey, bought new, has had problems with motor mounts and transmissions. The first transmission went out at 101,000, Honda manufacturer split the cost with me. The second transmission just went out at 185,000, it was out of warranty, 3 yrs 36k.

I am very disappointed in the transmission problems I am having. I asked the mechanic at a local transmission shop, and he said the clutch that Honda puts in the transmissions flakes off and gets into the moving parts of the trans. This causes the problems. He will replace it with different parts not made by Honda to keep it from having this problem. He was not sure if Honda fixed it on the new models or not.

In addition to the transmission problems, I have also had motor mount issues. My van began to ride rough at 75,000, so I had a local mechanic replace the shocks and struts. It still rode rough. I took it in to the dealer and two motor mounts needed to be replaced. I have never heard of motor mounts going out on any cars in the last twenty years. Those two were replaced at 120,000k, and the third was replaced at 160,000k. When the fourth needs to be replaced, the total cost to replace all four will be $1,200.

I also had a motor mount go out on my 2002 Accord. I talked to the dealers mechanic and he said that they typically go out at 75,000, that is when my van starting riding rough, I asked him why, he said that the V6 engine needs room to move so it will ride better and the motor mounts just wear out.

General Comments:

If you are looking to buy a Odyssey, look at 2005 - 08; maybe they have fixed the transmission problems.

Review Date: 20th March, 2008

30th Nov 2011, 18:17

The import myth is rapidly fading. No one who knows anything about vehicles would say that Honda or Toyota are better than Ford or GM today. All the magazine comparisons I have read the past few months rank the Toyota Corolla and Honda Civic at the bottom of the barrel. The Ford Focus and Chevy Cruze are top picks. My family has had a Honda. It was worse than the very worst domestic we ever owned. I wouldn't wish one on my worst enemy.

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 3.5 V6 from North America

Summary:

I still want to drive this car it is a nice car to drive

Check eng light code p1259.

General Comments:

The car is a good car this just started about 3 months ago.

Review Date: 4th February, 2008

2000 Honda Odyssey from North America

Summary:

Disillusioned with Honda

- Transmission needed replacement at 95000 miles.

- Engine light came on and code indicates catalytic converter is faulty.

- Side sliding doors (manual) have always been sticky to shut, hard to open.

- Driver's seat adjustment device broke.

- Dealer installed roof rack is very noisy (wind noise).

General Comments:

This van was a good one for the most part. The doors and driver's seat problems were somewhat tolerable for us. But the transmission was replaced with a "reconditioned trans." recently (10,000 miles ago) and now slips upon start up. This is evidently a problem for Odyssey based on all the comments from other owners, and the fact that our dealer did give us a break on the cost of the 2nd "reconditioned" transmission even though it was out of warranty. BUT, we did not realize that the 2nd transmission would only last 10,000 miles. Now the dealer is trying to relate the catalytic converter problem with the transmission problem. He says if we must have the catalytic converter replaced then we'll see about the transmission.

We had another reputable repair shop look at the c. converter. They used a "sniffer" device to analyze the exhaust gases at the tail pipe. This indicated the catalytic was funcioning fine (perfectly). They suggested that the tolerances of error programed into the vehicle's computor were the problem, and that resetting these values within the computer would probably resolve the engine light, while controlling emissions as well. They thought that only Honda could do this.

Naturally Honda is not touching this - they prefer $850 from me to replace the catalytic converter.

We bought this van because other Honda vehicles have the reputation of running for years & years and high miles without these kinds of major problems.

We stood transmission costs w/ our previous Chrysler vans. We tried to avoid that with a "reliable" Honda which we paid quite a bit more to purchase, and now we are having transmission problems anyway. We are very disappointed in that and it is a common problem with the Honda Odyssey.

Review Date: 25th January, 2008

23rd Dec 2008, 18:51

I am having the same problem with my Honda.