2000 Honda Odyssey Reviews

2000 Honda Odyssey LX 3.5 from North America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture2000
Most recent year of ownership2013

Summary:

Extremely Reliable

2008: EGR port was blocked when I first bought it. I found a way to fix it myself on Google. $100.

General Comments:

I bought it as a used 8 year old vehicle. It has been 5 years since I bought it, and now I realize I have been very lucky with this vehicle after reading others' remarks on this website.

The Good:

When I bought it, the 'Check Engine' light was on. It was because the EGR port was blocked. I fixed it myself for under $100 with the help of Google. I have only had to do maintenance work on it ever since, which includes: regular oil changes, 1 transmission oil change, 1 coolant flush, 2 brake replacements, 2 sets of wiper blades, 1 set of tires, and 1 rotor replacement.

Compared to my previous minivans (Mazda MPV, Dodge Caravan), the Odyssey feels a lot more powerful. Acceleration under normal load is satisfactory, and passing at highway speeds has never been a problem. I have hauled everything from Christmas trees to furniture. It is also roomier, especially in the front passenger and driver area. Visibility is good to excellent because of the large windshield. The ABS has saved us from our stupidity a couple of times. The rear fold down seat is very convenient. I've owned it for 5 years now and have many good memories with it. We've taken it to New York, Detroit, and Orlando (from Toronto).

The Bad:

My number one complaint are the sliding doors and how they seem to get 'stuck' in the closed position very often, as if it has 'suctioned' itself to the body, so that you have to use a lot of force to open them. The heater is very weak, so that during the winter months, the thermostat is always set to the highest. Wind noise is greater compared to my Caravan, especially at highway speeds. Some button lights no longer illuminate at night, and it seems every year, another one goes out. The middle seats do not fold into the floor and are heavy to remove. More recently, it has developed an oil leak around the oil pan.

Overall:

If all Odysseys were made this way all the time, I would definitely buy another one. We call her 'old reliable'. Too bad she is reaching the end of her useful life (>350K) and we will be selling or trading her in real soon. I'm looking to get either an Acura MDX or a Toyota Rav4.

Review Date: 13th May, 2013

2000 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

Model year2000
Year of manufacture1999
Previous carHonda Civic

Up to 100,000 miles (about one year ago), my 2000 Odyssey was great! Decided to keep it for a few more years, so I replaced the belts, brakes, tires, struts etc., all things that do wear out at around this time.

Then I noticed a leak under my car. Took it in, and the dealership told me some line needed replacing - another $250. Fixed that, and when I got home, noticed the leak was still leaking. Went back, and that's when they told me it was the main seal on the transmission - another $3,500 (and they refused to refund the $250 that they mistakenly diagnosed the first time). Couldn't afford that, so for the past year I've been adding transmission fluid on a regular basis. It took quite a while to come up with a good way to do it, but I discovered that by rolling tin foil around a pencil, I can make a nice, clean funnel that fits nicely into the little hole that the dipstick goes into.

Around that same time (one year ago), my check engine light went on. Took it to AutoZone for a diagnostic, and it showed about five things wrong. Took it into the dealership, and they showed three things wrong, including the catalytic converter. We decided to fix the two cheaper things, and let the catalytic converter go for now. They told me that if the light stayed off for three months, the catalytic converter did not need replacing. Well, the CEL stayed off for for a full year, but just came back on. The dealership was offering a free diagnostic this month, so I just went in today, and sure enough, it's the catalytic converter again. Not sure I believe them, and it will be eleven months until I need an emissions test, so I have some time. But, after reading everyone's comments, I know I do not want to spend the $1,025 to replace the catalytic converter, because there is a good chance the light will come right back on.

I'll report back when I figure out what to do. Glad this website is here - very helpful. Thanks.

Review Date: 27th December, 2010

9th Nov 2011, 20:56

DO NOT EVER, EVER, EVER, BUY A HONDA ODYSSEY; NEVER, PLEASE. I am almost crazy/sick now because of this van. I have spent over $6000 to fix it just in the last two months. CAN YOU BELIEVE THAT??? Please do not ever buy this van.

5th Dec 2011, 01:19

Buy a used one, like a 95. An old one, but a really good one.