2000 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

I have a Honda 2000 Odyssey LX with 115,000 miles.

Check engine light came on for EGR valve and catalytic converter (checked codes for free at Autozone). I got a quote for $1,600 to repair both from the local repair shop. I told the mechanic I was going to think about it, and when I picked up the car he accidentally left in the EGR repair instructions (from an on-line service).

Using the instruction, I took off the intake manifold, cleaned it out (the the EGR intake port was clogged) and installed a new EGR valve. I took it back to Autozone to have them review the check engine light, only the Catalytic converter code remained. I then let the tank go down to almost empty, put in half a tank of the super premium gas, cleared the check engine light (pull the fuse for your interior clock - it's on the same circuit - or take off negative battery cable) and the check engine light stayed off about 800 miles, long enough for me to pass the State of Il emissions test. (I tried the super premium gas test again and it works for around 800-1000 miles.)

The check engine light has come back on again, but I have two years before the next emissions test where I will try the super premium gas routine again.

I hope this helps.

Review Date: 9th July, 2008

2000 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

Summary:

I love this van despite all of the problems I've had!

My transmission went at 89,0000. It was replaced free at the Honda dealer.

I had the engine mounts replaced at 89,000 as well.

I also had a very strange problem. The front end was shaking like crazy! Costco was replacing my tires & noticed one of the mounts for the tire was missing. I took it to be replaced & that store noticed that ALL of the mounts were in the process of breaking! I had all of the mounts replaced on both front wheels---NO MORE SHAKING!

Now it's the same story---the CC needs to be replaced.

Review Date: 27th June, 2008

2000 Honda Odyssey EX from North America

Summary:

Not quite a lemon ... but close

Bad brakes - dealer didn't tighten all the lug nuts on tightly after the fix... caught it in time.

Multiple plastic pieces inside broke off.

Gas tank inside rear leaked gas!!!

Catalytic converter gone at 96,000 miles.

General Comments:

So many things ... and so expensive to repair.

Shoddy construction - that doesn't hold up to wear and tear.

Under-sized engine.

Review Date: 28th May, 2008

2000 Honda Odyssey EX 3.5 from North America

Summary:

It's my last Honda Van. Frustrating at best

I took the Van to Honda for the CE light and they informed me that the Catalytic Converter had failed, with a cost of $900.00 + to replace it. I paid them the $85.00 for the diagnostic support and took the van back home. I decided to order an aftermarket converter by CATCO for $168.00. (two flanges with 3 bolts each... easy work) This cleared the light for approximately 30,000 miles. The light recently came back on. The error code, once again, pointed to the O2 sensors or the Cat Converter. I replaced both O2 sensors (Bosch aftermarket) and reset the error code. The CE light came back on about 30 miles later. After reading several reviews, I then ordered and replaced another Cat Convertor (DEC) for $187.00. The CE light has been clear for ~ 200 miles. (Keeping fingers crossed) The DEC brand converter has much more surface area for cleaning the exhaust, so I'm hoping for the best.

General Comments:

The Check Engine (CE) light has been a constant presence in the vehicle. Failures include a transmission, EGR valve, O2 sensors and Catalytic converter (twice). If you decide to replace the converter and/or O2 sensors, jack the right side up and remove the right front tire. This will give you easy access to the downstream O2 sensor connector. It me about an hour to replace the sensors and about 1 hour to replace the Cat Converter. My guess it that the emission tolerances are very tight on this model year and many different things can cause the CE light to come on. I've found that online autoparts warehouses that can provide quality aftermarket parts at prices much much lower than Honda. I have over 208,000 miles on the Van now, trying to avoid the monthly payments of a new car, but it's been a very frustrating vehicle to maintain.

Review Date: 15th April, 2008

15th Apr 2008, 17:10

I'm glad you've seen the light. A domestic vehicle is a far more reliable choice and a much better value all around. Our 8 and 6 year old GM vehicles are still flawless, and have never had a single repair except batteries, tires and brake pads.

29th Nov 2011, 22:29

If you feel that any GM vehicle is better than an import, you have never owned a Chevy Venture mini van.