2001 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

Summary:

A great buy!

Few things considering 13 years and 300,000 km.

The side doors sometimes are hard to open.

General Comments:

I am very impressed by my Honda Odyssey. It has been extremely reliable and a joy to own. The Odyssey has impressive power and decent fuel mileage. I have found highway passing a breeze with it.

The vanishing rear seat and the cargo space when the seat is up have been real lifesavers.

The only gripe I have with it is that the interior noise while driving at highway speeds is a bit noisy.

After 13 years of incredible reliability, I am now a true Honda believer!

Review Date: 21st August, 2014

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 3.5L V6 from North America

Summary:

A good van, despite the transmission

Transmission rebuilt at 154,000 miles.

Transmission rebuilt at 193,000 miles.

Valve cover gaskets at 213,000 miles.

Oil pump seal at 213,000 miles.

Power steering pump seal at 213,000 miles.

Oxygen sensor at 213,000 miles.

Lower ball joints at 213,000 miles.

Rust beginning to show inside the fuel fill door and on the underside of the rear hatch.

General Comments:

Aside from the problems noted above, it has been otherwise reliable.

Even after 230,000 miles, it is still comfortable.

Every time we consider buying another vehicle, it hasn't made sense to give this one up.

After 8 years and 160,000 miles of ownership, it meets our needs as well as it ever has.

Review Date: 18th March, 2013

2001 Honda Odyssey EX V6 from North America

Summary:

The body is beautiful, but mechanically the car is unreliable!

Honda Odyssey 2001 (EX)... boooooooooo!!! The transmission failed at 99500 miles. The dealer replaced with a re-manufactured transmission and charged me $1,200.

After replacement of transmission, the car's torque wasn't the same - the car doesn't peak as well as it did under the old transmission (before the change).

30,000 miles later, the "check engine" light has been coming on and off. The dealer has stated that there are no codes. The light came on again on 6/22/11. I took the car to a mechanic and the EGR codes were diagnosed. I don't know how much the repairs will cost. I am upset with the car.

General Comments:

I had a Toyota Tercel and Nissan Sentra before, and drove each car for 240,000 miles. I'll never buy a Honda Odyssey - the car sucks!

Review Date: 22nd June, 2011

2001 Honda Odyssey EX from North America

Summary:

Good van. But needed some more time to get the Honda reliability totally injected into the van

Service dealer made me change the timing belt before 100,000.

Service dealer is terrible. They are only after making money with commissioned service reps.

EGR valve problem. Apparently a recall problem, but I missed it and dealer wanted to charge me $800 for the repair.

One of the sliding doors; the power lock does not work.

One of the sliding doors now is starting to beep, as if it's open when it's closed.

General Comments:

Van swerves to the right. Honda tells me its because of the crown of the road, which is not true. Other vehicles do not do this.

Fantastic interiors. Takes real abuse from my kids.

Love the 3rd row drop seat.

Review Date: 30th December, 2010

8th Feb 2013, 03:13

Many cars do indeed go right when in the right lane. However, it's easy enough to check. Get into the left lane on a multi-lane road. See if it still swerves to the right. Also should be gradual; depends what you are calling a swerve.

2001 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

Summary:

Don't buy a Honda Odyssey!

We bought a 2001 Odyssey in used condition in 2005. We were never informed or given any information about the transmission problems with this model. Today, I spoke to Honda USA, and was told that there is nothing Honda will do to help us fix this problem. This is the only problem so far with the van.

I don't understand how a car manufacturer can acknowledge that there is a faulty part that was used in their automobiles, and then do nothing to try to fix it. I was told that the extended time period on the warranty for this problem had expired. Whom do they think is driving these minivans? There are more likely than not children riding in them. I am disappointed in their disregard and unwillingness to stand behind their product.

I know that there will be parts that need to be repaired in result from usage/wear and tear/maintenance, etc., but Honda is basically telling everyone whose minivan did not break down within the warranty, to take a gamble out on the road with these bad transmissions, rather than work with the buyer and get it fixed before someone gets hurt. How do they expect anyone to have faith or interest in any of their other products?

I will never buy another Honda. Shame on them. People have to speak with their wallets.

General Comments:

I would not buy another Honda car. It's a shame too, because everything else works fine. My family and I were very happy with it until now.

Review Date: 1st December, 2010

1st Dec 2010, 19:52

I have had 2 Honda's, and the same damn issues all the time. Transmission on the Odyssey and on the Accord as well. I don't buy a car often, and run them to 100k always, and I take care of them, but I may call it over now. I may go with a Nissan or Ford next.

2nd Dec 2010, 18:31

"I may go with a Nissan or Ford next."

I'd go with Ford. Nissan is going down the drain, like all Japanese cars. Our 5-year-old Fusion is still like brand new with never a single problem.