2001 Honda Odyssey EX from North America

Summary:

Good van. But needed some more time to get the Honda reliability totally injected into the van

Service dealer made me change the timing belt before 100,000.

Service dealer is terrible. They are only after making money with commissioned service reps.

EGR valve problem. Apparently a recall problem, but I missed it and dealer wanted to charge me $800 for the repair.

One of the sliding doors; the power lock does not work.

One of the sliding doors now is starting to beep, as if it's open when it's closed.

General Comments:

Van swerves to the right. Honda tells me its because of the crown of the road, which is not true. Other vehicles do not do this.

Fantastic interiors. Takes real abuse from my kids.

Love the 3rd row drop seat.

Review Date: 30th December, 2010

8th Feb 2013, 03:13

Many cars do indeed go right when in the right lane. However, it's easy enough to check. Get into the left lane on a multi-lane road. See if it still swerves to the right. Also should be gradual; depends what you are calling a swerve.

2001 Honda Odyssey LX from North America

Summary:

Don't buy a Honda Odyssey!

We bought a 2001 Odyssey in used condition in 2005. We were never informed or given any information about the transmission problems with this model. Today, I spoke to Honda USA, and was told that there is nothing Honda will do to help us fix this problem. This is the only problem so far with the van.

I don't understand how a car manufacturer can acknowledge that there is a faulty part that was used in their automobiles, and then do nothing to try to fix it. I was told that the extended time period on the warranty for this problem had expired. Whom do they think is driving these minivans? There are more likely than not children riding in them. I am disappointed in their disregard and unwillingness to stand behind their product.

I know that there will be parts that need to be repaired in result from usage/wear and tear/maintenance, etc., but Honda is basically telling everyone whose minivan did not break down within the warranty, to take a gamble out on the road with these bad transmissions, rather than work with the buyer and get it fixed before someone gets hurt. How do they expect anyone to have faith or interest in any of their other products?

I will never buy another Honda. Shame on them. People have to speak with their wallets.

General Comments:

I would not buy another Honda car. It's a shame too, because everything else works fine. My family and I were very happy with it until now.

Review Date: 1st December, 2010

1st Dec 2010, 19:52

I have had 2 Honda's, and the same damn issues all the time. Transmission on the Odyssey and on the Accord as well. I don't buy a car often, and run them to 100k always, and I take care of them, but I may call it over now. I may go with a Nissan or Ford next.

2nd Dec 2010, 18:31

"I may go with a Nissan or Ford next."

I'd go with Ford. Nissan is going down the drain, like all Japanese cars. Our 5-year-old Fusion is still like brand new with never a single problem.

2001 Honda Odyssey EX 3.5 from North America

Summary:

Great van

Door motor does not like freezing temperatures.

Gas cap had to be replaced when the check engine light and traction control light came on.

General Comments:

Van gets great gas mileage on the freeway; 28 mpg.

Always used Amsoil 5w30 oil and Amsoil synthetic transmission fluid. Runs great.

Review Date: 24th November, 2010

2001 Honda Odyssey from North America

Summary:

Such a bad experience all around

Growing up, my mother always had a Honda, and they were always great cars. So, when I had a family of my own, I always hoped to get a Honda.

Unfortunately Honda does not seem to be the same company it once was. As you can see from the many postings on this site, I have also had all these problems with this van.

The sliding doors freeze every day in the winter, and will not open.

The transmission went out, and was replaced by Honda. The dealer tried to get us to pay a $700 shipping fee. Now that transmission has gone out, and it is not worth it to put in another faulty transmission.

The brakes are a constant problem. You have to get a lifetime warranty on your brakes if you own this van. We have brought it in for brakes about twice a year.

It has been such an unreliable van, that it is almost a relief to finally have to get rid of it.

General Comments:

This van has been such a disappointment. I really thought Honda was a name I could trust. It looks nice and is comfortable inside, except I did miss the feature in my old Town and Country van, where the middle seats and back seats could recline all the way.

Review Date: 11th November, 2010