2003 Hyundai Accent GSI TD 1.5 turbo diesel from UK and Ireland

Summary:

You would have to be stupid to pay more for a car

Nothing at all!

General Comments:

Very, very cheap to buy and run; 60+ MPG is possible. I drive like a loon and it's impossible to achieve less than 40 MPG.

The engine is a 1.5, 3 cylinder common rail diesel from VM Motori; slightly brash sounding, narrow powerband, but very torquey low down. Not exactly the most refined of motors, but does its job very well.

Build quality is comparable to 1990's Japanese vehicles, but seems more resistant to tin worm.

Interior is slightly gloomy, but the seats are comfy, and it does its job as well as any other car.

Handles OK when up to speed, but slightly dodgy in the wet if you push it!

Boot size is good, enough room for 4 adults, rear middle seat is quite small.

Heater good and hot, radio sounds good, electric windows do the job.

Likely to last a long time, never had a Hyundai before, love the simple technology, and it is possibly to DIY most jobs.

The only downside is the Accent diesel is a rare beast, especially in the UK, and parts could be hard to find and/or expensive should you ever need some.

The car stands me at £700 for a 2003, low mileage and modern diesel car with a long MOT; the price of a family weekend in Skeggy.

Review Date: 26th January, 2014

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 1.6 from North America

Summary:

Fun to drive, but cheaply made, and tends to have transmission problems

The automatic transmission went out at 91,000 miles. It's stuck in 1st gear, and occasionally shifts to 2nd, with a hard clank. Our mechanic thinks it's a fault inside the trans, as it won't even shift manually. Estimated repair cost is more than the resale price.

A/C condenser has a leak.

Tie rods needed to be changed on the front wheels at 80,000.

Evaporator valve changed at 81,000.

Coils changed.

Flexible link on exhaust changed.

General Comments:

Since we bought this car, it gave us nothing but headaches until finally the transmission died. This was the one aspect of the car that we were worried about, but didn't expect it to happen so soon.

From the start the dealer was not helpful. The car had a loud noise coming from the engine; the dealer claimed a cracked manifold ($1000 repair), when it fact it was just the flexible link on the exhaust ($80).

Multiple issues with check engine light/air bag, such as the evaporator, seat belt tensioner and misfire.

Though this car was cheap to purchase, we have already sunk almost 1/2 the purchase price into it with misc repairs. After the transmission went out, it's time to get rid of the car and take the loss.

Review Date: 24th August, 2011

2003 Hyundai Accent GS 1.6 DOHC from North America

Summary:

Good car... When it functions

Bought the car in the summer of 08, all was fine until winter.

2 exhaust gaskets had to be replaced, which is fine. Did it myself for $7.

Later on the transmission kept on limping when you first started the car and shifted from first. Then the car would be stuck in 3rd gear, regardless of what gear level you choose on the shifter (ie, 1st, 2nd). Only thing to do was wait until the car warms up. Shut off the car, and turn it back on. Then the transmission would function fine. When me and my coworkers diagnosed this, we believed it to be a problem with the solenoid. Now (May) the transmission fluid leaked everywhere, after getting it to the shop, there was a crack in the transmission case (I did not go off-roading, or abuse this car in a manner which would cause this kind of problem). Currently looking for a used tranny.

Paint is bubbling, handles fading, which is understandable, Canadian winters are very harsh.

Oh and the stock CD player has my CD stuck in it. Not a big deal.

General Comments:

All in all, this car is okay, just very sensitive (only for grandma drivers). If it wasn't for me doing most of the repairs, tune-ups it would cost wayyy more. Not that the car can't move (I've tried) it's just that the automatic transmission has way too many issues, (not the only car with said issues) I'd highly recommend the 5 speed if you can get it.

It's comfy on the inside, front row (I'm 6 foot 5, or 2 meters tall) back is crappy, but what would you expect.

Good on gas, peppy, but in the end it's a Hyundai. If you want a cheap and reliable car, get a Toyota Tercel, I owned one myself and I only got rid of it after 300,000kms and 3 car accidents later.

In the end a car can only be measures when if functions, properly. No matter how comfy or what features it has, when it's a piece of crap, you gotta call it out. And this one is just terrible. And no, I don't abuse this car, or neglect it. No it's not a lemon, lots of other 03 Accents have the same problem (worked on them myself). What we have is a poorly made car. Which is fine, considering I paid 4500 for it, taxes and everything. But it goes to show, you get what you pay for.

Only reason I bought this is because the Tercel took its toll, and my Legacy got totaled by some idiot who did a burnout in a parking lot.

Review Date: 30th April, 2009

13th Aug 2009, 01:21

I recently bought a 2003 Hyundai..automatic..it just started shifting rough.. with a jolt forward and a clunk when putting it into drive or reverse.. also when accelerating after a stop sign, etc.. Engine light came on for 1/2 a day.. took it into a mechanic (light off course did not come on)..and they couldn't find anything wrong with the vehicle!? It's very frustrating dealing with a car that is supposedly reliable..