2003 Hyundai Accent Reviews - Page 4 of 5

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 1.8L I think from North America

Year of manufacture2002
Engine and transmission 1.8L I think Manual
Previous carNissan 200SX

Summary:

An all-around good, inexpensive ride

A very cold winter caused the transmission fluid to break down and caused shifting to be difficult to impossible. Minor issue caused major fear, but resulted in free fluid change.

The paint job is sub-standard and scratches very easily.

General Comments:

At the time of purchase, it the only car I could afford. In spite of that, I am very happy with this car. It handles well, accelerates well, handles the highway and city driving with ease. Great on gas. Good room for luggage and passengers.

Review Date: 17th October, 2005

2003 Hyundai Accent 1.9L from North America

Engine and transmission 1.9L Manual
Previous carSaturn SC

Summary:

I would buy it again

Brakes were screeching and needed lubricated at approx. 7,000 miles.

Driver's side front brake scraping and needed lubricated at 32,000 miles.

Passenger side cup holder broke, but I easily snapped the piece back in when it came out.

I don't think seats are comfortable at all on long trips.

General Comments:

This car is very dependable, and will get you where you need to go, as quick as you need to get there.

Maintenance costs are reasonable, when maintenance is required.

Driver's seat uncomfortable on long trips, but how are you supposed to know that from a test drive??

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 1.6 from North America

Most recent distance20000 miles
Previous carNissan Sentra

Summary:

The jury is still out, but it doesn't look good :- (

The air bag light recently came on for no reason.

The clutch went at 20,000 miles.

General Comments:

I bought a nissan sentra with 30,000 miles. I drove until 120,000 miles and never had a problem with the clutch. Considering that this is a hydraulic clutch in this car, if this keeps happening I will spend a small fortune on clutches. This Hyundai is not the first manual car I owned and I haven't been rough on the clutch. I just read another review where an Accent owner had their clutch changed at 40,000. The dealer told me when I bought the car that the clutch should be good for around 80,000 miles.

Review Date: 29th December, 2004

28th Mar 2005, 22:49

I bought a 2004 Accent GS with the 5-speed for my job as a courier; I put ~300KM on my car every day 5-6 days/week for work and another 20-100KM/day on my days off. I've currently got 63,000KM on the car (bought approximately 10 months ago) and the clutch is as responsive as ever. I only just flushed the clutch fluid when it became dark (black) about 1000KMs ago.

2003 Hyundai Accent 1.6 from North America

Previous carVolkswagen Type III

Summary:

We will replace this car with another Accent when the warranty is up

Check engine light at 20,000 miles. Dealer replaced all spark plugs and wires, no charge.

Trouble shifting into third and reverse at 22,000 miles. Dealer replaced clutch master and slave cylinder, no charge.

Front wheel bearing noise at 25,000 miles. Dealer replaced both, no charge.

The seat belts do seem to hit a smaller driver a little funny. This was fixed with the adjuster clips seen at parts houses.

General Comments:

The Accent has been a very solid performer for us. It accelerates very well and handles like a go-cart.

It averages 38 miles per gallon.

My wife and daughter took the car on a 4,000 mile vacation during the first month we owned the car. No problems, averaged 40 miles per gallon (all highway).

I do oil changes every 3,000 miles, check all fluids and inspect everything. I have not had to fill anything else.

It is a two door so access to the rear seat is a little tight, but we expected that.

The stereo is very nice.

The seats are firm. They seem to be holding up very well.

For a $9,000 car (we have air conditioning) the car is an excellent value. The dealer support has been second to none.

Review Date: 22nd October, 2004

15th May 2010, 23:25

Check engine light, can't get 3rd gear, and wheel bearing out, all before 25K, is not 10 out of 10 reliability.

2003 Hyundai Accent 4-Door GL from North America

Year of manufacture2003

Summary:

Cheap car, but needs to be maintained

I bought the Hyundai Accent in November of 2002. I've had it for about a year and a half now.

The other night the transmission slipped into Third-Gear and wouldn't shift correctly, it was locked in Third.

I went to the dealership and claimed it was the transmission. I soon found out that the Pulse Generator was faulty. This is something that I've seen that other, older Hyundai's have had.

This is something I'd be careful of if you choose to buy this car.

General Comments:

Its still a nice car. Its the best on gas that I've seen yet. I would suggest this for younger kids learning to drive. It's a nice cheap car to use. Too bad it doesn't have any more power to it. If it did, it wouldn't be so cheap.

Review Date: 22nd May, 2004

17th Aug 2004, 22:40

Yes, I have a 2004 Hyundai Accent GT and it also had a defective pulse generator. There seems to be a lot of trouble with them on the Accents from what I hear.

7th Oct 2004, 09:54

I am in Canada with an 02 and the pulse generator was fixed under warranty as well. It fixed the hard shifts. This was done at 15000 km and it has happened again at 50000 km. I have to take it in to the dealer again. Glad that I am leasing because they can have it back.