2003 Hyundai Accent Reviews - Page 2 of 5

2003 Hyundai Accent GLS from Indonesia

Model year2002
Engine and transmission Manual
Distance when acquired119000 kilometres

Summary:

Average

My air intake and solenoid actuator blew out at 119,000km. Air intake is made by thermosetting plastic. I called Hyundai service; they were coming in 1 hour to my location (very good service). Then I asked them why this happened; they have no idea. About the cost, they ask me for Rp. 3,750,000 (USD 400) then I asked for the disc, they gave me disc 25%.

The new air intake is made of aluminum, not plastic. Looks they have known of this problem before, but they didn't want to recall this spare part.

General Comments:

During my usage:

1. Fuel is quite economical

2. Spare parts price is good

3. Service center is very helpful

Review Date: 24th June, 2008

2003 Hyundai Accent GL 1.6 DOHC from North America

Engine and transmission 1.6 DOHC Automatic
Previous carHyundai Sonata

Summary:

Great car

Nothing so far! Only thing is the vibration I feel once in a while from the engine, but it's not like a rattling, but small and near the floor; seems to go away if I hold the brakes down.

General Comments:

Car is great, reliable, cheap to maintain, and is great on gas.

I found that the acceleration for this car was sufficient. My only problem with it is there's no arm rest for your right arm.

Review Date: 7th June, 2008

2003 Hyundai Accent GL from North America

Year of manufacture2002

Summary:

It's not worth the money

The car ran great when I bought it in 2003. It had a relatively smooth ride, and could accelerate pretty fast. The problems started in 2006. First the RMPs would jump up pretty high when at a complete stop. I almost hit another car the 1st time it happened. I took it to the dealership, and they said I had voided my warranty by off roading. The most my car had seen of the wild was a gravel driveway. I took the car to a mechanic after that he looked at it and tried to fix the problem. I made it about 15 miles before it started again, but this time, I started hearing a loud metal banging metal noise. I called the mechanic back and they told me to bring it back ASAP, and not to drive it, but have it towed. They were concerned that it would break down. After examining the engine, they told me that the problem was inside the engine, and that I had to have the engine replaced. I had it towed to 2 more mechanics after that, and they all said the same thing. I needed a new engine. After comparing how much money I had already spent on the car, then how much the car was worth. It wasn't worth the extra money to buy a engine.

General Comments:

I works like a dream the first few years, but when it goes bad, it goes bad fast.

Review Date: 8th January, 2008

2003 Hyundai Accent GL from North America

Engine and transmission Semi-Automatic

Summary:

This is a terrible vehicle. Sell it ASAP if you own one

- Problems with automatic transmission at 14K miles.

General Comments:

I bought my 2003 Hyundai Accent brand new from a local dealer, and only use the car to drive to and from work (approx. 70 miles per week). The car currently has approximately 15,000, and has receive regular maintenance according to the new car dealer's maintenance schedule.

Recently, as I was driving along the highway at a speed between 50 and 55 mph, and accelerated to pass a merging vehicle, the transmission got "locked," the car slowed down to 40 mph, began to blow out smoke from the undercarriage, and ultimately lost all power.

After I pulled over to the side of the highway, I looked and found that it was leaking some transmission fluid. I called AAA and had the car towed to the dealership, where it was repaired two days later.

According to the dealer, the problem was caused by "a faulty wire" that connects the car's computer with the automatic transmission.

Of course, after having such a terrible experience, I will not consider buying another Hyundai again!

This car -- or rather -- its poor workmanship and quality put my life in serious danger!

Review Date: 15th November, 2006