2006 Hyundai Elantra Reviews

2006 Hyundai Elantra Limited from North America

Previous carHyundai Elantra

Summary:

Great overall for a brand new Hyundai

Only the engine at 90,000 miles.

I have only had to do regular stuff to the car like brakes, oil changes, and I was recommended to replace the timing belt at 60,000 miles so I did.

It now has 90,000 miles and the car overheated. I towed it to the nearest Hyundai, and they stated it was a leak in the cooling system, however no engine light came on, or the temperature gauge never moved to hot; I just noticed steam under the hood. I was told that I had to replace the some hoses and the thermostat, however they told me that they would give me a whole new engine, and I would only have to pay $400.00, which I was happy about, so I think Hyundais are great.

I also wanted to mention that I was also at 90,000 miles, and the warranty was till 100,000, so this was great. I was a little mad that my car did not have any warnings to indicate anything wrong ahead of time. Well at least I am getting a new engine. Wohoo!!!

General Comments:

My last car was a Hyundai Elantra, and this one is a Hyundai Elantra, and they are very reliable cars!

Review Date: 19th November, 2010

2006 Hyundai Elantra 2.0L CVVT from Australia and New Zealand

First year of ownership2009
Engine and transmission 2.0L CVVT Manual
Distance when acquired22000 kilometres
Previous carHyundai Excel

Summary:

Would not buy another, but not bad

Australia.

Rotted out steering wheel (chunks fell off) by sun damage. Was replaced under warranty. 3 year old windows not tinted then.

Broken ashtray mechanism. Required full dashboard removal to be repaired under warranty.

Sun damaged rotted out driver door seal. Warranty replaced.

Clutch had been repaired by dealer when bought in from previous owner.

Very narrow clutch take-up. Seemed like 2 to 4 mm between total engage and total disengage, making it hard to take off smoothly and without stalling. Never got completely used to it in 9000 kms of use.

Problems mostly caused by previous owners neglect and/ or heavy towing.

General Comments:

Positive... Driven gently, it feels like 6cyl performance with 4cyl economy, and is quiet and comfortable on a long run. MP3 CD gives quality sound.

Same fuel consumption as my Excel on the 85km round trip to work.

Fantastic leg room in rear seat.

Disappointed with the performance, although the engine is certainly powerful enough.

Poor gear ratio match to the engine character.

Long wheelbase; backend would easily swing around cornering on wet roads.

Engine would "hunt" continually when cruising at 100kmph or any set speed. This is a manual transmission car. Annoying.

Poor rear vision. Dangerous blind spots in mirrors.

Review Date: 18th October, 2010

2006 Hyundai Elantra GLS 2.0 from North America

First year of ownership2009

Summary:

Solid, dependable commuter car

Nothing that wasn't normal maintenance.

General Comments:

I cosigned on this car for a young couple 3 years ago, and they defaulted on the loan last January. I had the vehicle repossessed, and then paid off the balance with the intention of selling the car.

I had to catch up some maintenance, and started driving the car on occasion. I liked it enough that I sold my Dodge and decided to use the Elantra as my commuter car.

After replacing the brakes, tires, fluids and timing belt, the car has been completely dependable. I get 34-36 MPG on a regular basis for my 55 MPH 32 mile commute.

I never would have considered a Hyundai before this, but when I finally wear out the Elantra, Hyundai will be on my short list.

Review Date: 25th July, 2010

25th Jul 2010, 22:42

I own an '07 Hyundai Elantra, and I agree with completely. My Elantra has 80,000 miles on it and has been great. I've had a few issues with it, and it's not on par in the quality department compared to my previous Honda's and Toyota's, but it's definitely a cheaper alternative to them. Still far more reliable than any domestic vehicle. I'm happy with mine.