2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 from Bulgaria

Summary:

Good ride with some issues

Front axle was truly rusty and needed to be changed.

Clutch was changed at 130000.

Front brake disks changed when I acquired the vehicle.

General Comments:

The car is really comfortable for a long ride. The V6 engine has enough power to make a nice ride, without expecting great acceleration performance. The external sounds are not so well isolated. The suspension is nice and the interior is acceptable, except for the wood plastic imitation put on the GLS models. Some internally used materials are perhaps cheaper than I would like them to be - the leather colour starts to fall apart, and the same happens on the steering wheel.

In general the car is good, but some engineering decisions were not as good as we would like them to be:

1. The V6 engine is too heavy for the front axle and puts it under serious pressure. Combined with the nasty weather in central Europe, it has so much rust, that it needed to be replaced 9 years after the car was made.

2. The V6 engine is really powerful for the clutch installed, so if you like to drive the car in a more dynamic way, it needs to be replaced more often than for the 2.0 litre Sonata.

3. The fuel consumption is reasonable, but far away from the figures mentioned in the car's manual. According to the documentation of the car, a long trip takes 7.9 litres for 100 kilometers. I never reached this, regardless of my driving style. I reached 10-11 litres. Nevertheless, you don't buy a 2.7 petrol engine when you need fuel economy, right :-) ?

Review Date: 14th August, 2014

2004 Hyundai Sonata GLS 2.7 V6 from North America

Summary:

This is a great, reliable car

I have not had any problems with the car at all. The only thing I have had to replace were the front brake pads at 21000 miles. I did that myself and it was a pretty simple job. Even the light bulbs are original.

General Comments:

The performance is fine for what the car is, a modest mid-size sedan.

The seats could use a bit more padding, and I could use a bit more legroom, but long drives are not a problem.

The car came with all the options I would want. The only extra option was the moonroof.

Review Date: 11th October, 2008

2004 Hyundai Sonata 2.5 liter V6 from North America

Summary:

Strong, reliable, and inexpensive

Water leaked into the trunk because the seals were faulty.

Relay switch failed on electric windows.

Windshield rubber seal is separating.

Headlight bulbs burned out.

General Comments:

A very good and reliable car. Cost me $16,800 in 2004 with all options except sunroof, traction control, anti-lock (why is this an option?), and leather.

More power than is really necessary.

Disappointing fuel mileage (especially with teenage daughter driving); around 18MPG city, 26MPG highway.

Bad seals around trunk allowed water to accumulate in spare tire wheel well; eventually I just decided to leave the drain plug out (thanks Hyundai for anticipating this problem!).

Now the windshield lower rubber seal is separating.

Throttle difficult to modulate from stationary position.

Rear suspension has difficulty on washboard bumps. BUT, comfortable, very quiet at speed, fast, and stable.

The strong warranty gives peace of mind (but doesn't make US dealers any more honest).

I would definitely buy another; I wonder if Hyundai is contemplating stuffing a diesel into this model?

Review Date: 21st May, 2008

7th Dec 2011, 19:32

I did have the same problem with water leaking into the trunk. I looked and noticed that the tail lights do not have a good seal. So the water runs around the trough, and down and inside the lights. I removed and cleaned the light fixture, and put a layer of clear silicone all around where the fixture touches the metal. I have never had another problem with water since. Except that now the other side needs doing too. (:-)