1995 Isuzu Rodeo LX V6 4-liter from North America

Summary:

Reliable, nice-looking car at a fine price

Driver side window sticks about an inch below closing occasionally. This is no good if you happen to get stuck in the rain, but you can usually push it the rest of the way up. It happens rarely and is not a major flaw.

Very loud wind sounds on the interstate.

Engine makes a slight clicking sound when running, but nothing that seems to warranty a repair.

Rear power door locks stick at times. Rear doors also stick at times and the door lock has to be locked and unlocked a few times before the rear door will open. Rear doors also can be difficult to open sometimes.

No cup holders. I've spilled too many drinks.

Not the best gas mileage. I usually fill up every 10 days or so.

General Comments:

Car has great power and accelerates quickly. Power Drive mode makes acceleration even faster and smoother, and it kicks you automatically into high gear.

Seats are not the most comfortable, but they are fine for everyday driving. The roominess of the vehicle makes up for the seats. It's extremely roomy.

It can be a hassle to open the hatchback, but it's very convenient that there is a button on the dashboard that will pop open the rear window so that you don't have to go through the process of swinging out the tire, etc.

Very nice first car, especially for an active teen. I would buy another car from Isuzu for sure.

Review Date: 14th March, 2004

12th Feb 2009, 19:32

Yea, my 96 had the same hidden cupholders, but I broke it so it tipped a lot and spilled in the backseat. Don't let friends climb into the back with the cupholders out lol.

1995 Isuzu Rodeo LS V6 from North America

Summary:

Fun and frugal

I replaced the timing belt and water pump at 85,000 just to be safe.

Shocks went at about 50,000.

The starter went at about 90,000. It really is a poor design, because of the proximity of the exhaust pipe it is subject to excessive heat. I had to take the starter apart in the small area and remove it in 3 pieces so as not to disturb the exhaust system. Upon inspection the old starter motor was really baked inside. Insulation on the windings was cracked and falling apart.

About the brakes. I replaced the front shoes at about 20,000 mile intervals since new. Recently I replaced the rotors to see if I could make the shoes last longer. Not sure of the outcome yet. One strange problem that it has in extremely cold weather is that the power assist on the brakes takes about 4 or 5 pumps to start working. I am not sure what the problem is, but the anti lock and brake light on the dash sometimes flash. I have spoken to the dealer and they have not seen this problem. I can live with it, but others who drive the car in cold weather need to be warned. Wondering if any other Rodeo's have this problem?

General Comments:

This is the first car I have ever driven for 100,000 miles and still love. I bought it new in 95 and drive it every day. Other than normal wear and tear and stuff that I (or the kids) broke very little has gone wrong.

It is hard to find fault with much about this SUV it takes a beating and yes it is still ticking. Like most of the commentors on the board I get the tick noise. Not much you can do, but ignore it.

Review Date: 17th January, 2004

10th Mar 2004, 20:11

I wanted to reply to the Isuzu Rodeo comment on the 1995. My isuzu rodeo does tend to have the brakes stick in cold weather I have a 1997 Isuzu Rodeo, but I still like it.

17th May 2004, 22:55

1995 Isuzu Rodeo 109,000 miles. Haven't notice the brake issue even in below 0 temperatures this winter. For the starter everything everyone is saying is the 100% truth, pain in the neck to remove in one piece (took mine to shop after realizing I had to remove the exhaust). Door locks stick. Other wise it's been a wonderful vehicle, and no other major mechanical issues. For the ticking sound (lifters) it's not a big worry I have realize that with frequent oil changes (3,000 miles or every three months) it will resolve this problem.

13th Jun 2009, 18:54

I bought my Rodeo new in 1995. I noticed the same thing about my brakes but only in the winter time when I lived in Toledo, Ohio 1997-1999. Am quite sure the problem was isolated to nothing more than the cold whether causing the brake fluid to become more viscous. Ever since I moved to Fort Lauderdale, Florida and Atlanta, Georgia, the problem has not repeated.

I replaced my first started after four years of driving, at just over 100,000 miles. After 309,000 miles, I am on my third starter.

In retrospect the above stated problems are minor issues to me. After fourteen years of stellar performance & reliability, my Rodeo is still going strong, as I expect the old gal to soldier on for another 150,000 miles and then some. She just doesn't some to want to quit.

14th Feb 2010, 09:04

Yes, there is a problem with the starter. This is really the only problem that I've had with my Rodeo. This will be my second starter and I was wondering about getting some exhaust wrap tape to keep the starter from getting overheated from the exhaust system. I have a manual transmission and never had to replace the brakes. I do have 150K on the engine, and I will be attempting to replace the starter again 50k later. Wish me luck.