1995 Isuzu Trooper Reviews

1995 Isuzu Trooper 3.2 SOHC from North America

Model year1995
Most recent year of ownership2012
Engine and transmission 3.2 SOHC Manual

Summary:

Extremely durable

Starter motor at 90k and 180k miles.

Plastic radiator header cracked at 200k.

Fuel pump failing at 190k.

Few leaky gaskets replaced. That's it.

General Comments:

Extremely durable and reliable. Never any issues after 18 years on the road.

Interior is good quality and hard wearing. Paint is only just fading after 18 years in the Southern California sun.

Chronic hydraulic valve lifter noise intermittently from 100k miles onwards. Doesn't seem to bother it.

Plan on getting at least 300k on the original engine and transmission. Have seen Troopers at 400k+ on the original engine, that have never had the heads removed.

Review Date: 12th June, 2012

1995 Isuzu Trooper LT 3.2 SOHC from North America

Model year1995
First year of ownership1995
Engine and transmission 3.2 SOHC Manual
Previous carSubaru Legacy

Summary:

It's the best vehicle I've ever owned

Replaced starter at 90,000, and again at 160,000.

Replaced transmission at 80,000 - my fault for not attending to transmission oil leak sooner. Manual transmissions on the Trooper have a breather tube that will slowly leak fluid when driven at high speed (70 mph or higher). The manual transmission uses 5W-30 motor oil so this leak can be confused with a rear seal leak on the engine. Just keep the transmission fluid topped up.

I have had the ticking sound but regular oil changes combined with using an oil change solvent seem to help.

All other maintenance I would characterize as standard interval replacements (brakes, tires, battery, etc.). I have never even replaced any of the light bulbs.

General Comments:

The Trooper is a reliable utility box on wheels. It is sure footed in the snow and holds its own in off-roading situations. I use it to tow a small trailer without any issues.

Yes it is a bit underpowered, and fuel mileage could be better (17 city/20 hwy for the 14 years I've owned it). But it is amazingly rugged and can always be counted on.

I am looking to replace it with a Toyota 4Runner, but I just can't get rid of it when everything continues to work so well.

Review Date: 15th June, 2009

21st Oct 2009, 18:14

22nd Oct 2009, 15:41

"You'll be disappointed with the 4runner after the Trooper - particularly in off-road situations."

The 4runner is EXCELLENT in offroad situations. If you get a 4runner stuck, it's because you just have no idea how to drive. And at least the 4runner's frame won't rust in half like the Isuzu's.

1995 Isuzu Trooper 3.2L from Norway

Engine and transmission 3.2L Manual
Distance when acquired32000 miles
Previous carIsuzu Trooper

Summary:

Best all around car we have had

Once the rear parking didn't pass inspection here in Norway because of a leak in a gasket in the rear axel.

Rust problems above the front window.

Valve ticking sometimes.

Problems with the rear ABS. comes and goes.

General Comments:

Wonderful to drive here in Norway.

Uses a bit to much gas considering the gas prices here.

Lots and lots of space when we go on trips skking or vacation.

Easy to service.

Review Date: 15th April, 2004

17th Apr 2004, 16:09

Very accurate review. '95 troopers do tick, they do have problems with Rr ABS dummy light, and the are VERY reliable.

12th Apr 2006, 16:16

I just recently purchased a 95 Trooper. So far I like it. The only things I question is the steering seems to be a little loose and the AC doesn't work. I have only driven it for 300 miles to date. I do however like all the room inside. It also seems to be pretty solid. Not many rattles and squeaks. That's a good thing with me. Underneath the Trooper seems to be dry (no leaks). So I'm praying that this new SUV will be reliable and fun for years to come.

24th Oct 2009, 19:59

Just today, I purchased a 95 Trooper for $1,700. It have the same problems as the comment above, steering is a little loose and A/C doesn't work. With 125,000 miles on it, it's still looking great and runs smoothly!! Very roomy and comfortable. I'm 6' tall. No leaks, no squeaks, no sounds at all. I hope this SUV stays with me for years!!!