1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Reviews - Page 3 of 13

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee LTD 4.0L I6 from North America

Engine and transmission 4.0L I6 Automatic
Distance when acquired220000 miles

Summary:

My car is a great vehicle

My idler pulley went out at about 230,000 miles.

I have a slow slow slow, oil leak. Have had since purchased.

Have an exhaust leak - the "y-pipe" is cracked almost completley around on one side.

Fried the ignition coil due to resistance caused by splashing water on the distributer cap while going through a big puddle.

General Comments:

My car is an excellent daily driver. I have had no major problems with this vehicle. It has 230k on it and is still very powerful and shows know signs of going bad. I paid only 1,000 dollars for this car, so I did not know what to expect at first. But I am very pleased with my purchase. The only thing I dislike is it is very loud. Anytime I push the gas or go down a hill the rear pumpkin makes a loud humming noise. This does not effect the way the vehicle performs though, and I am not worried about it at all. My friend had a '89 cherokee with the same engine and wrecked it with 290k on it. he also drove it very hard everyday. So I would recommend a jeep to anyone who wants power and a long lasting vehicle.

Review Date: 19th February, 2006

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 from North America

Model year1993
Engine and transmission 5.2L V8 Automatic
Previous carOldsmobile Ciera

Summary:

Jeep's worst mistake EVER!

Check engine comes on the day after I purchase it from used car dealership. It also stalls when in reverse... take it back and find that the IAC valve went out. They replace it.

1 Week later, I see a huge pool of transmission fluid under the Jeep... I call to have to towed to dealership... find out the Transmission Pan Gasket went out. They replace it.

2 Weeks later, I travel 10 miles down the interstate and my vehicle backfires and stalls in the fast lane... Had to have it towed to dealership and they find the Ignition Coil went out. They replace it.

1 Month after the previous fault... I travel to my Dad's 100 miles one-way. On the way back home, my Jeep stalls on the interstate once again 75 miles away from the dealership. Had to have it towed to dealership costing $150 to tow. The Ignition coil fowled out again. They replace it.

2 Weeks after the previous fault... I am traveling once again on the interstate and the Jeep stalls again, this time just 1 mile from dealership... have it towed to dealership... Ignition coil fowled out for the 3rd time! They refused to put in a Jeep part, which I demanded and they finally did put on a Jeep Ignition coil. It has been 2 months and it has not fowled out yet.

Jeep spark knocks BAD! Must use top grade gas (around $3.29/gallon) and getting only 15 miles/gallon! Spending more than $75/week in just gas!

General Comments:

Jeep seriously made a mistake with this model Grand Cherokee! DO NOT purchase a 1993-1995 Jeep Grand Cherokees, they are not dependable at all!

Does have good power and 4 wheel drive shifts and drives well!

Review Date: 7th October, 2005

24th Nov 2005, 04:33

If you need to get a main dealer to do all your servicing then buying a 12 year old car probably isn't a good move!

31st May 2010, 12:33

My Grand Cherokee has just over 400,000 miles on it, and all that has ever been done to it are two oxygen sensors and one fuel pump. Best vehicle I have ever owned. Will purchase another one if this one ever stops running.

1993 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 8 cylinder from North America

Model year1993
First year of ownership1997
Engine and transmission 8 cylinder Automatic

Summary:

Be prepared for trouble

The full transmission blew at 29,000 miles. Fortunately, I was not driving it and my brother unfortunately was. He lost all control of the vehicle and almost ended up in a tree. I really could not fathom how a vehicle with 29,000 needed a brand new transmission. The dealer just said it happens -- ugh! Now I know I bought it at 15,000 miles, but these were miles that my family had put on it and it had been well maintained.

Also, the fuel pump injector went at 34,000 miles while in NC with no family members around. That is when I said goodbye to this poor vehicle.

General Comments:

I really loved this car as it was my first one, but honestly when it needed a new transmission and then other things started to go... I said good-bye.

Review Date: 6th March, 2005